Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Opel GT

Matt Bacon

Just picked up an Opel GT at the UK IPMS Nats (SMW) for a remarkable price for a new and shrinkwrapped box. I'm going to build a straight stock one... it's a cool car as is, IMHO. I seem to remember seeing a thread in which Harry P explained what need to be done to accurise the kit, but my efforts to find it by searching "Opel GT" in the search bar have failed so far. Anyone have it bookmarked, or can point me at any other online resources explaining what I need to do?

TIA,

best,

M.

I didn't have any luck with that search turning up results quickly.  I'll watch this thread and see.  I have one of those too and would like to build it someday.  Didn't know there are things that need correcting.  Haven't looked at it closely and am only going from memory of the cars.

Here's a build-up by Korkut Varol that might help you.  He does some nice little tweaks, like drilling out the "eyebrows" above the grille. Also fixes some errors, like removing the bogus engine mount on the chassis (the one that won't let the engine fit unless you do remove it).

http://www.korkutvarol.com/OpelGT-01.html

Something that bugged me about this kit: the interior behind the seats.  Look at a picture of the real thing and you'll see the problems immediately.  AMT fudged it because of the chassis up-kick; that's the only way they could get the interior to fit.  I'm still pondering a solution to it.  And you probably know this already, but that vertical piece of plastic in the rear of the interior should be mostly cut out.  It's the space for the spare tire, since the GT didn't have an opening trunk.  That solid piece of plastic should be a vinyl curtain, covering the spare wheel well.