Model Cars Magazine Forum

1909 EMF Racer

Bobchayer

1909 EMF  " 30"  Racer, 1/16 scale. Kit manufactured by Fador Mfg Corp., 501 E. Clinton St., Elmira, NY in 1949. The kit contained pine, balsa, plastic steering  wheel and road wheels, cardstock,  and BRASS AND STEEL WIRE wire of various thicknesses.  0.5 Mm styrene was used for hood, gas tanks. Flat brass wire was used for springs.

002.thumb.JPG.234eacbad4f2ccc895822cd47f003.thumb.JPG.899fcaa4c857f01bb127db204e004.thumb.JPG.6efb3c17380350feb31b39c135001.thumb.JPG.7b7ebabaf204653ef9993e6875

The E.M.F. stood for Everett, Metzger, and Flanders, the company owners. It was also referred to as "Every Morning Fix It" and "Every Mechanical Failure". Each car came with a complete catalog with each part numbered for easy replacement. The E.M.F. had 30 horsepower supplied by a four cylinder engine. Wheel base was 106"; gas tank held 15 gallons. All cars were painted E.M.F. red. All models used the same chassis. The price of the E.M.F. with standard equipment, a pair of acetylene head lights and generator, two side oil lamps, tail lamp, lamp brackets, tube horn, tire repair kit, tools, and magneto was $1250. E.M.F. eventually became Studebaker.

I found the kit on eBay. They can be expensive. Many of the kits that are available have missing parts necessitating a moderate supply of wood, wire, filler, and crazy glue. Fador made seven different kits before stopping productions. There are two EMF kits, this racer and a kit called the EMF "Three in Oner"  which plans start with a roadster to which you can add a detachable tonneau or a single rear seat.  

Edited by Bobchayer

Let me start by saying that this is another fantastic build. I've been enjoying seeing all Bob's fabulous builds.

Now, forgive a hopeless Studebaker geek for correcting the statement on Fador's box - "Predecessor to Studebaker". Studebaker was actually founded in 1852 and after making wagons and carriages for 50 years made their first car (an electric) in 1902. Two years later they made their first gasoline car. In 1911 Studebaker purchased EMF and changed their name from Studebaker Brothers to Studebaker Corp. So EMF figured in the early history but wasn't really a predecessor. 

We now return to our regular programming...

WOW! These builds just blow me away!