Model Cars Magazine Forum

Me? doing a '32? Nahhh!!! It can't be!

ismaelg

Wow! Everything is coming together very nicely. I love all th detail. What do you use for the electrical wiring? The seat does look more comfortable than my sofa. Thanks for all the pics. Keep up the great work and I hope you get over your "obsesiveitis". :(

Mike

Wow! Everything is coming together very nicely. I love all th detail. What do you use for the electrical wiring? The seat does look more comfortable than my sofa. Thanks for all the pics. Keep up the great work and I hope you get over your "obsesiveitis". ;)

Mike

Thanks Mike,

For the wiring I used 2 different gauges of craft wire and the smallest are from discarded electronics equipment. That is my favorite part of this build so far.

Thanks,

OK, here's the deal:

I've searched high and low, east and west and no luck with the wheels. Add to that the PRESSURE that this car must be finished for the upcoming Caribbean Scale Auto Expo show Oct. 5 (the local gang will kill me if I don't) so I need to move.

I have 3 choices:

- Use the incorrect wire wheels in the kit, then whine and complaint the rest of my life.

- Not finish the model until the wheels magically appear in the future, then whine and complaint about never finishing it, not to mention that Luis Ayala, Marcos Cruz, Danny and the rest of the gang will chase me down and kill me...

- Make my own

DISCLAIMER: These are NOT exact reproductions of the artillery wheels. The artillery wheels have 15 spokes, I'm doing 20 because it was faster. Rim detail is slightly different etc. etc. But I had to move fast and this will do for now until I can do a correct one and send to cast. Yes, I'm a rivet counter :lol:

I will use the kit's center caps.

DSCF8150-vi.jpg

DSCF8153-vi.jpg

Thanks,

;) Duuuhhhh, Iz, I know it may be kinda late, but would the wheels from the 37 Ford trucks be usable? I sent a coupla sets to MrBIGGS a while back, an I think they were of the same style you've got there. I din't know they were called Artillery wheels, I thought they were Wagon wheels. ;):D

El maletero se dobla cuando no esta en uso. Para cargar literalmente un baúl, se extiende como una tablilla. El tapón de gasolina está incomodamente entre el maletero y la carroceria.

La varillita vertical que sale de la luz izquierda es para la tablilla, que esta en proceso.

El asiento de atras no esta fijado todavia. Por eso se ve mal puesto.

DSCF8188-vi.jpg

DSCF8189-vi.jpg

Gracias,

Translation:

The trunk carrier folds when not in use. To carry a trunk (literally), it's extended like a shelf. The gas tank cap is between that and the body. The vertical rod on the left tail light is for the license plate. The rumble seat is not yet in place, that's why it looks a bit crooked.

Thanks,

:blink: Duuuhhhh, Iz, I know it may be kinda late, but would the wheels from the 37 Ford trucks be usable? I sent a coupla sets to MrBIGGS a while back, an I think they were of the same style you've got there. I din't know they were called Artillery wheels, I thought they were Wagon wheels. :D:lol:

'37 Ford wheels are too small for a car the size of the Imperial, George (6:00-16). That Imperial rode on at least 7:50-19's.

Art

El maletero se dobla cuando no esta en uso. Para cargar literalmente un baúl, se extiende como una tablilla. El tapón de gasolina está incomodamente entre el maletero y la carroceria.

La varillita vertical que sale de la luz izquierda es para la tablilla, que esta en proceso.

El asiento de atras no esta fijado todavia. Por eso se ve mal puesto.

DSCF8188-vi.jpg

DSCF8189-vi.jpg

Gracias,

Translation:

The trunk carrier folds when not in use. To carry a trunk (literally), it's extended like a shelf. The gas tank cap is between that and the body. The vertical rod on the left tail light is for the license plate. The rumble seat is not yet in place, that's why it looks a bit crooked.

Thanks,

Izzy,

That Imperial is looking sooooo fantastic!!! By the way, do the vacuum windshield wiper motors work? :D

Art

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Here is most likely the last update on this project, or at least one of the last ones....

Engine compartment is pretty much done. All the reference pictures I have show a plain generator without any sticker or decal. But mine can't be naked! So I added a decal that says "electrical generator output 6V DC permanent press do not bleach tumble dry" :lol: I also added the upper radiator hose with real copper clamps.

Note the radiator support cross bars (firewall to radiator). One of them has a little hump curve to avoid interference with the other one. I noticed that on a reference pic of a restored car.

There is no way I'm going to hide all that with a closed hood :lol:

DSCF8182-vi.jpg

DSCF8193-vi.jpg

Still pending wheels/tires (including spares), door decals, installing the bumpers and if I still have time left before the show, the uptop.

Thanks,

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Here is most likely the last update on this project, or at least one of the last ones....

Engine compartment is pretty much done. All the reference pictures I have show a plain generator without any sticker or decal. But mine can't be naked! So I added a decal that says "electrical generator output 6V DC permanent press do not bleach tumble dry" :lol: I also added the upper radiator hose with real copper clamps.

Note the radiator support cross bars (firewall to radiator). One of them has a little hump curve to avoid interference with the other one. I noticed that on a reference pic of a restored car.

There is no way I'm going to hide all that with a closed hood :lol:

DSCF8182-vi.jpg

DSCF8193-vi.jpg

Still pending wheels/tires (including spares), door decals, installing the bumpers and if I still have time left before the show, the uptop.

Thanks,

Actually Izzyt,

Manufacturers of the bolt on ancilliary equipment, such as generators and starters didn't decal their products in those days--rather they riveted on small brass plates, which gave the mfr's name, any and all patent data, and such as that.

Art

Biscuitbuilder, is that you? :lol:

That be me--I lost my original registration when Insight Communications traded us here off to Comcast, and I had to clear my cookies, and I was unable to re-register with Biscuitbuilder, so here I am, warts and all!

Art (The modeler formerly known here as Biscuitbuilder)

That be me--I lost my original registration when Insight Communications traded us here off to Comcast, and I had to clear my cookies, and I was unable to re-register with Biscuitbuilder, so here I am, warts and all!

Art (The modeler formerly known here as Biscuitbuilder)

I thought Insight Communications and Comcast were one and the same. Oh well, no matter.

Hello,

No, it is not what you think. With all due respect, I still despise '32 fords and that is not going to change anytime soon.

I've never done a "classic" car. I am not really into those. But in a recent business trip I found at a hobby shop a Fred Cady decal set to do the 1933 Indy Pace Car and I DO love Indy. The car is a 1933 Chrysler Imperial Roadster. I bought the decals as I recalled seeing a model of that car in my LHS. Sure enough, it was there waiting for me. The model is AMT 1932 Chrysler Imperial Roadster. Talk about been outside of my comfort zone: A classic car and AMT!

This is the car I'll try to replicate:

1933-vi.jpg

This is the closest starting point:

DSCF2835-vi.jpg

There are some minor trim differences but it is a good start.

Typical AMT: More flash than a camera store:

DSCF3033-vi.jpg

Parts are heavy molded, but I've seen worse.

DSCF3034-vi.jpg

What did I get myself into? :P

Main body components look decent:

DSCF3036-vi.jpg

And now for the traditional start of the project: "Modeler! glue engine halves together!"

DSCF3041-vi.jpg

This will be a slow project. I have hired Luis Ayala (papin67) and Art Anderson as advisors :D

The original idea was box stock curbside, but I'm not sure that idea will last B)

What do you think?

Thanks,