Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac Reissues

regular guy

11 hours ago, Motor City said:

How does a goofy thing like that even come to market when they were SO MANY good cars that could have been tooled instead?

Who knows, MPC (and others) did a lot of weird customs in the late 60s...may have been part of the drug culture of the era..

On 3/17/2018 at 4:38 PM, 1972coronet said:

Another vote here for '64-'65 Buick ! I love those often-overlooked Buicks ; not a bad looking A-body Buick from '64-'72 ( I also love the Colonnades ! ) .

We can dream , can't we ?

Speaking of midsize Buicks, the June 18 Collectible Automobile magazine has an article on the 68-72 Buicks.  Lots of pics. 

Want to point out that now is the time to get a '65 Pontiac Gran Prix.

https://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/amt990.htm

Sure.AMT may come out with more B-O-P's the way they have been bringing out lots of stuff.

On the other hand it has been 10 years between '60 Ford Starliners.

Grand Prix's are reduced at a big online hobby store so I would say now is the time to grab one.

Unless you like paying a premium and shipping for one kit from a 'kit vulture'.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a Buick Riviera or Oldsmobile on an old tv series episode.

Guess the thing to do is just get the AMT Riviera and call it good.

The styling themes are similar.

Even an Olds 442 will work if you are just going for that era sports full size model from GM.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:54 PM, Can-Con said:

OK, so, anyone know how this thing fits in with the other MPC Toronados?  Looks like it was produced about the same time frame as the Mannix car but could be the year before or after.

One-shot body and interior maybe?

Related image

Just saw today that Barris did that car as a 67 X for an Imperial Oil give away in Canada..There were four built for that contest..Ugly is for sure..

The 67-X was based on a Toronado, but as you can see, it looks quite a bit different from the Californian.  The Californian also came out two years after the 67-X, which was built as part of a giveaway to celebrate Canada's centennial in 1967.

esso-67-x.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

My dad owned an Esso station at the time of the contest.  I thought it was the coolest thing on wheels, and that it was a horribly unfair that we were among the people who weren't allowed a chance to win one.  Hey, I was 8 at the time.