Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac Reissues

regular guy

There have been some gaping holes in AMT's reissue strategy.

Early B-O-P's is one of them.

Looks like they reissued the Buick Electra 225 kit. Maybe I was seeing things.

Looking to see them reissue the '65 Buick Rivera and I think it's the '68 or '68.

Then the Oldsmobile Toronado. I think one version had a clear hood.That's very cool. May have had an unusual intake set up for the 425.

They came out with the '70 Pontiac Gran Prix and did a great job with that.

Pickup conversion was really a 'sign of the times'. Saw a lot of El Dorado pickup and station wagon conversions then.

Color version of the kit was major nostalgia feature. Palmer kits came in colors.

Edited by regular guy

The AMT Olds Toronado kits were re-boxed Jo-Han kits.  Round 2 can't reissue what they never had.  There was an MPC '67-'68 Toronado, but it was butchered by MPC into a custom car.  The MPC Toronado likely doesn't exist anymore, otherwise MPC or Ertl would have brought it back at some point.

I'd bet you will see at least one of the Riviera kits ('65, '66, or '69) at some point soon.

The '62 Buick Electra is coming soon, it was issued a few years back also.  There is also a '66 Wildcat (last kit reissued prior to Round 2 coming in), those can still be found.

The '70 Bonneville convertible is available now, as is a '65 Grand Prix.

Thanks for pointing out the '65 Gran Prix.

It wasn't registering with me because of the way the box looked.

Plus coming out about the same time as the '70 Bonneville.

AMT needs to do what they have to and bring back the Toronado's.

Then they would have a fair number of GM personal luxury cars.

They are interesting cars. For the crowd that did some research before they headed down to the dealer.

Anybody could just go down and get an Eldo but these cars were for those who 'though before they bought'.

Probably bought by engineers and doctors.

The '65 Gran Prix looks pretty good stock.

That custom body on it looks better in lighter colors.

It's probably a Gene Winfield treatment or customization. He was an 'in-house' customizer at AMT.

They are interesting cars. For the crowd that did some research before they headed down to the dealer.

Anybody could just go down and get an Eldo but these cars were for those who 'though before they bought'.

It's probably a Gene Winfield treatment or customization. He was an 'in-house' customizer at AMT.

Like Mark said the Toronados were JoHan tools, they are gonesky, recycled into a washer and dryer back in the 70s when the wheels came off that place.  The MPC one might as well have suffered the same fate for all of the "conversion" work that was done to it back in the day.  Nobody ever thought about tooling variations or reissues back when kits were a couple of bucks a piece and mostly a kid's toy.  You have to look into the 90s before you see model kits engineered so that version b and version c don't destroy the version a tooling.  Round2 would have to make entirely new kits as there isn't even a tooling insert left over to work from in 2017.  There's nothing to "bring back".

Edited by niteowl7710

I believe if you have a physical kit you can produce them readily..

So. All that is necessary are the rights to make which we can figure AMT has.

Good suggestion about the F-85 and early 442.

Those were pre-muscle car era. I call them 'Astronaut cars'.

Special order packages that could really move along.

You had to be 'in the know' to figure out they even existed at the time.

I believe if you have a physical kit you can produce them readily..

So. All that is necessary are the rights to make which we can figure AMT has.

Good suggestion about the F-85 and early 442.

Those were pre-muscle car era. I call them 'Astronaut cars'.

Special order packages that could really move along.

You had to be 'in the know' to figure out they even existed at the time.

Reverse engineering from an unbuilt existing physical vintage kit hardly qualifies for being able to "produce them readily" . Yes, Round 2 has done a wonderful job of recreating lost or missing tooling for certain options on kit reissues by laser scanning original parts and creating virtual models of them within a CAD/CAM system. BUT, if they recreated in whole an entire missing set of tools for a kit, then made them to say,1968 annual kit level of detail, they would be burned at the stake for releasing such simplistic product upon the public. Not to mention the costs and the prospect of recouping that from a relatively obscure car like the Toranados. 

The '64 Cutlass hardtop and convertible were available as promotionals and kits.  The '65 Dynamic 88 hardtop was made as a promo and kit, and the convertible as a promo.  There was even a radio version of the hardtop promo made.  If the '64 Cutlass tool is salvageable, it would make a nice kit, and should later be converted to the '65 442.  The Dynamic 88 tooling was made into a Motor City Stocker.  It could be restored into a '65 or '66 Starfire or '66 Dynamic or Delta 88.  Dream on, right? 

Thinking about these blank spots I came up with an idea.

Maybe they could release these 'partial kit's'.

Like people are saying. Missing a sprue or whatnot.

Release them as 'White box' kit's. Or 'Builder's Specials'.

Blank spots are 60-63 B-O-P and mid fifties to muscle car Mopars.

Sure there are a handful that are made in each of those categories but a lot have gone out of production.

If you go down the page on this link, it describes Round 2’s tooling inventory program. They are looking at everything they have to see what they can reissue. The ‘64 Cutlass tool is shown in one of these pictures. Looks like they would have to repair the roof for that one at a bare minimum. 

http://www.collectormodel.com/page/11/?s=Round+2+models&x=49&y=9#sthash.JEJCCam1.dpbs

Edited by CapSat 6
Mispeling ;)

I want AMT's Craftsman '59 Buick to come back if that is still possible. And Mr. Skelly mentioned modifying the Modified Stocker Olds into some other Olds. I'd like to see it modified back to the stock '65 Dynamic 88 it was originally. The other Oldsmobiles Mr. Skelly mentioned would be cool too. But I'd be real happy just to see the original Dynamic 88 come back.

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, c. jackson said:

i do believe that r&r resin has a 65 cutlass

Somebody had a resin '65 4-4-2. I had one. I looked it over very carefully, and decided that it would exceed my skills (or, at least my patience and attention span) to get a model out of it that would be even marginally acceptable. I sold it down the road at a small loss. Oh well. 

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Somebody had a resin '65 4-4-2. I had one. I looked it over very carefully, and decided that it would exceed my skills (or, at least my patience and attention span) to get a model out of it that would be even marginally acceptable. I sold it down the road at a small loss. Oh well. 

It was R&R...I bought one from Ray in Phoenix at the Copperstate show maybe 15 years ago, along w/a  '64 Cutlass wagon and '62 Starfire. 

51 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I'd be down for a new-tooling '65 F-85 / Cutlass ! Just be certain to include the 225 Econ-o-Way V6 in the mix !

Me too! I have an AMT '64 but would like the '65 even more. And then can we have a '64 or '65 Skylark GS, please?

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Me too! I have an AMT '64 but would like the '65 even more. And then can we have a '64 or '65 Skylark GS, please?

Another vote here for '64-'65 Buick ! I love those often-overlooked Buicks ; not a bad looking A-body Buick from '64-'72 ( I also love the Colonnades ! ) .

We can dream , can't we ?

The top thing on my Buick wish would be a '71 Riviera, followed by giving AMT's '65 Riviera an upgrade along the lines of what they did with their '66 Riviera kit.

I think the '59 Buick is the best looking of GM's '59s, so I would be good with them bringing that one back, especially with an engine and a decent chassis.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

On 11/15/2017 at 11:37 AM, regular guy said:

Again, as stated just above your post, AMT NEVER had tooling for ANY Olds Toronado's--MPC had one, apparently irretrievably altered the tooling into a TV/Movie car (could well be that this tooling no longer even exists) and JoHan--whose tooling slowly disappeared over the years.

Art

45 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

OK, so, anyone know how this thing fits in with the other MPC Toronados?  Looks like it was produced about the same time frame as the Mannix car but could be the year before or after.

One-shot body and interior maybe?

Related image

Beautiful paint on that thing, anyway....:wacko: