Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 61 Pontiac Catalina

Rob Hall

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:39 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Strange that they didn't altered the shape a bit, to avoid that parting line. I'm sure mods like that, will be less noticeable then the big "60s promo way" of molding things...

Maybe next time Dave could send some test shots over to me, for evaluations, hint, hint, cuz an outsider has a more fresh look :D

I think it might be a case of "no other way to do it" unless they molded the bumper in three parts (separate end pieces).  People would complain about that, too.  The wrapped-around areas on the sides are extremely deep.  I suspect that a mold for casting this piece in resin won't last long either...

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I'm in the minority here, I bet, but it would have been nice to get the stock full wheel covers on this kit. Luckily I have an extra set from the AMT Bonneville (thanks to Tom aka feretzrus for casting them from my originals!). 

I'm with you there, Chris.  You can only have so many cars with the 8 lug wheels, although I love 'em.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, mike 51 said:

Just noticed both models on the box appear to have warped hoods.....hope that's not what's in the box. :mellow:

Is no one paying attention to details at Moebius?  

I built the Ventura version last year and followed some of the suggestions from other builders on the Forum and the only problem I really had was the Hood. The Hood wasn't warped, the problem that I encountered had to do with the Grill fitment. The back side of the Headlamp Buckets on the Grill would hit the Radiator Support before it would fit into place. Did a LOT of grinding on both and never got it 100%. I didn't find this until all was painted and was in the final stages of assembly even though I had test fit everything. Knowing this problem now I plan to really pay attention to this problem on the Catalina build that I'll start after my Suburban build.  I think this is a great kit and I wouldn't let any of the minor challenges keep you from building it.   

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, mike 51 said:

Just noticed both models on the box appear to have warped hoods.....hope that's not what's in the box. :mellow:

Is no one paying attention to details at Moebius?  

I haven't built this kit yet, but I just popped the grill in, and tried on the hood, and it looks like it fits pretty good, nice and straight.

While I was at it I also tried the windshield, and it seems to fit good too.