Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL - Tamiya

Mixalz

Well its that time again. My other projects have been suspended until I order some more parts. So I made a start on this kit and I must say. WOW. I love the detail and quality that I come to expect from Tamiya. The engine bay is definitely going to be displayed open! I will be using the Hobby design PE kit too.

Here is what I've completed so far. All metallics on this kit will be Alclads top quality paints.

rwupNZo.jpg

The engine as it stands. I need to order some correct size braided hose for the oil return. Any suggestions for size? Also any suggestions for the right angle attachment?

1ebU9eB.jpg

BWRVVtB.jpg

A close up for the detailed parts.

tpKgoYU.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll be posting more when I order more parts.

Michael

Looks like a great kit, ive actually been to the mercedes factory and museum last summer taken quite a few pictures of the 300SL that was on display, ill have to do a small search for the pix but if you want those to build it even more accurately let me know and ill post or send them!

Looks like a great kit, ive actually been to the mercedes factory and museum last summer taken quite a few pictures of the 300SL that was on display, ill have to do a small search for the pix but if you want those to build it even more accurately let me know and ill post or send them!

Definitely!! Would really appreciate it. The braided line coming out of rocker cover is something I want to replicate but not sure what it is and can find where it goes. Same with some of the other lines. Surprised how much I'm learning about identifying parts from this hobby. Just recently I made a turbo manifold (for a Supra) and then realised I didn't put a dumppipe/wastegate on it. Would love to avoid these issues here. Thanks for the offer.

I'm easy with whatever you would you prefer.

Definitely!! Would really appreciate it. The braided line coming out of rocker cover is something I want to replicate but not sure what it is and can find where it goes. Same with some of the other lines. Surprised how much I'm learning about identifying parts from this hobby. Just recently I made a turbo manifold (for a Supra) and then realised I didn't put a dumppipe/wastegate on it. Would love to avoid these issues here. Thanks for the offer.

I'm easy with whatever you would you prefer.

alright ill have a search soon of what ive got left, i dont think ive got any of the engine compartment, but ill look (i remember alot being blurred sadly so deleted alot) ill keep you updated, if you need of any other cars let me know, ive got loads of cars pics as a car nut, ive send you a pm aswell!

And yeah ive got the same, i was always into cars, absolutely love them (people around me call me the car encyclopedia :lol:) ive always had a certain affection to the mechanical side how it works in theory etc, (like how turbos work etc) but never really how things should be placed or connected etc and starting to learn that now aswell, who knows, maybe ill start modding my cars in life myself now instead of doing only basic stuff by garages :P

Edited by JeroenM3

"The braided line coming out of rocker cover is something I want to replicate but not sure what it is and can find where it goes."

It goes to the large tank you detailed. Upper left in photo

8.jpg

Cheers. Was going through Google Images trying to find out. Still no idea what it is though....Oil return for dry sump???

Awesome. Thanks Tim. Don't know why I didn't search for an engine on a hoist!. So much easier. I kept searching "engine bay".

Lovely work on yours. I'm still tossing up If I want to keep the clear underbody. Would be cool to show of the frame and engine detail

So I was quite sick yesterday and today and decided since I can't work or go out I may as well work on this model. That was my mistake. Not huge but this was going to be a "perfect" model.

Added the oil hose to the model and drilled the holes in the wrong spot. The one on the engine isn't exactly centered.

wYmv4tg.jpg

Added the lines shown in Tim's post. No idea what they are though... anyone more mechanically minded than me know?

A97pMsq.jpg

The 3 on the LHS I didn't make correctly (missing the loop backwards). I put these in since I'm considering a clear bottom. I'm not going to try and fix this anymore though as after holding the clear base on the model the view is too distorted to see that these aren't correctly shaped.

I was going to use a wired distributor but glued the model's one on as I found that trying to run all the lines would result in to much bulk and would probably look unrealistic with my skill level. Has anyone got an example for this model with a wired distributor?

Anyways that is it for now.

The picture I posted shows the distributor . The spark plug wires pass though the bar on the side of the valve cover. They then split to the plugs see photo above from post

Quite right, so it doesn't matter if you get the wires matching., though you might want to add a wire out the back of the loom to go into the nose of the coil (coil should point to the outside of the car). One minor thing – the heat shield under the intake manifold is a separate part, usually shinier than the pipes, so it could use a little differentiation in finish and separation. As for the braided hose, there are three. One (part 25), runs from the valve cover to the oil tank filler neck. Another (part 24) runs into and out of the oil cooler mounted on the right side of the radiator.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 10.41.15 AM.png

Edited by sjordan2

The picture I posted shows the distributor . The spark plug wires pass though the bar on the side of the valve cover. They then split to the plugs see photo above from post

Depending how wonky you want to get, you should run wires from the distributor into the spark plug wires loom, and a wire from the back of the loom to the nose of the coil..

Edited by sjordan2

As you can see from my prior post, you've put the oil hose in the wrong position. It should attach to the oil tank filler neck; the place where you attached it to the tank should go out toward the front with tubing, and be attached to the oil cooler to the right of the radiator. And your hose is about twice as thick as it ought to be.  NOTE: The fittings on the oil tank that seem to go toward the back of the car, as seen in the diagram, go to a vacuum unit inside the cowling, which is not included as a kit part. You might also consider cutting a piece of rod to use as a cap for the filler neck.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 11.35.31 AM.png

Edited by sjordan2

Further note: The kit includes radio speakers but no radio or antenna. Leave out the speakers or contact me for how to build a simple Becker radio. The mounting piece is unique to the Gullwing. Essentially, you just print this out  (about a hair over 1/4" wide at the top) to fit and use straight pins for the knobs. Or use a 1/24 PE radio and make the mounting frame. It hangs down under the bottom center of the dash.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 2.20.30 PM.png

Edited by sjordan2

Yeah I saw that at the time but couldn't quite replicate it. I may have to take another look into it

Wow Skip that is some awesome info! Any suggestions on how to Google for these images? I tried so hard to no avail. Thanks for posting these. I may or may not be able to change these. Depends on how strong the glue is...

I have just about everything you need in my files (I'm a Gullwing fanatic and have all their manuals, plus hundreds or thousands of downloaded images of cars and parts). Just let me know what you want info on. In most cases, I use Google Images  –  Mercedes Gullwing (part), but Google isn't always good about that.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 2.20.30 PM.png

Edited by sjordan2

I have just about everything you need in my files (I'm a Gullwing fanatic and have all their manuals, plus hundreds or thousands of downloaded images of cars and parts). Just let me know what you want info on. In most case, I Google Mercedes Gullwing (part), but Google isn't always good about that.

Oh wow that makes sense then. I tried every variation of keywords (engine, cooling system, schematic, diagram, sump etc) but kept coming up short. Ill definitely hit you up if needed further info.

Also thanks for the heads up on the radio didn't know about that.

Thanks for the link Skip! Like you, I like to have as many pics as possible on any particular car............there's no such thing as too many pics!

My only beef with Fantasy Junction though is that they won't let you right click and save on the enlarged pics. I have a way around that though so no biggie.

BTW, I love the reference heavy aspect of this thread! LOTS of very interesting info about this car out there, and there's a couple things I picked up that I didn't know it. I have the Italeri kit of the 300SL convertible, but something about that one is not quite right to me. Almost as if the front end is a bit "stubby" or something. I think it was mentioned here before on the board the issues with that kit, but my memory is failing me. :unsure: