Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 71 Comet improvments.....

AMT '67Mustang. Get it. Use it. Fairly easy to modify the chassis and use other parts to add detail. While in 1/1, the Falcon is closer to being a match to the Maverick/Comet, the Mustang is a huge improvement over the Johan part.

67 mustang is longer than the Johan, what do you modify to make it fit? any photos?

I agree - the AMT '67 Mustang is the most accurate scale representation of this chassis. Front and rear sections are essentially the same - shorten the pan to fit.

Once again, this article spells out all the variations in great detail: Falcon Platform History 1960 - 1980

It does, but there are some missinformation in a couple of places.
For example the article says the 1962-65 Fairlane chassis is based on the Falcon platform but it's not, the chassis is similar but shares almost nothing with the other Falcon based cars and the only other car with the same chassis is the 1962-63 Mercury Meteor.
I used to own one and have learned this the hard way.
The 1966 and 67 Fairlanes are based on the Falcon platform tho'.

Yes, true - Falcons & Fairlanes don't share parts, but I think what the article is saying is that the basic design and layout is the same, the essential similarities being the front suspension design with the coil spring over the upper a-arm and integrated shock towers, leaf spring rear, and of course unibody construction.

I did one a well ago didn`t take any progress photos of how I did it with a 67 AMT GT350 Mustang. I remove some material behind the gas tank. Than I moved the sub frame up about 1/8th of inch to line it up with the wheelbase. If you check out my you tube channel under my real name you see that I did use the same chassis to my AMX johan kit Drag On Lady. Just look for my real name on you tube.