Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 1 month later...
'll put this at about 80 percent done. It's a bit of a challenge, tolerances are really tight. I've given up on perfect alignment between the engine and the frame. Worked well in mock up.
One major issue that wasn't self induced was with the chrome. The wheels and front fender bracket are coated with a semi flat clear. I sprayed this tree with Tamiya clear to brighten the rims, flat coating just the spokes with a brush. The other tree came in a matte finish, I didn't coat this one and the chrome flaked off in huge chunks as I worked with it. Just handling the tree caused a lap full of glitter. I stripped most of it and redid them with various metallic shades. A lot of it wouldn't have been chrome on the 1:1 anyway. Some fit is quite precise. A few mounting holes had to be radiused to accept the locator pins. I could do without working shocks as there have been some compromises in scale to get these into model form, the forks are bigger in diameter than they should be. On the plus side, the engraving is awesome for a kit from 1964. I love the subject matter. Obviously state of the art for the time, it has held up well. I think the original price was around $80. I got this from Tower Hobbies for 29.99. I think $80 would have been overpriced. Photoetched wheels would be an awesome addition.

DSCF4306.JPG

DSCF4307.JPG

• 3 weeks later...