Model Cars Magazine Forum

D-Revell Panamera

keyser

The Revell guy at Telford was pretty cagey about the contents. It doesn't have an engine, and the suspension is likely simplified. It's described as a "Skill 3" and has less than 100 parts. (Mind you, the 570s is also a skill 3, and has many more parts, and the Corvette C.7R has substantially less than 100 but builds up into a nice model in the right hands...) The build on show was a mule (maybe even a diecast) so I couldn't look any closer. But no, I can't get very excited about it. It's not really an "aspirational" car in real life, is it...? Just good at what it does. Someone should really be doing deals for a DB11 or Valkyrie, if you ask me...

best,

M.

I can confirm it does come with a full engine, once assembled you don't see much, but yes, there is a complete engine. and it does look pretty nice.

Thanks for the photos!  Looks nicely detailed overall, and I'm glad they kitted the top-end turbo model. I just wish they had recreated the panoramic glass roof option so that you could show off the interior.

Plamoz is creating a detail set, which I believe will offer scripts that allow you to create a turbo version or a turbo S e-hybrid version.

Edited by BVC500

5 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I can confirm it does come with a full engine, once assembled you don't see much, but yes, there is a complete engine. and it does look pretty nice.

Fair enough... you'd wish that their own sales team would be briefed, though! Even with an engine, it's struggling to engage my interest...

best,

M.

And some more. In one of these photos, you can see Revell attempted to replicate the panoramic glass roof on the underside of the roof..<_<

Also, while this is a test model, looks like that body is really going to need a lot of prep to smooth out the mold lines, surface waviness, and deepen panel lines.

https://www.modellbauseite.at/forum/plastikmodellbau-bausatzbesprechungen/pkw-ab/pkw-1-24-aa/8058-porsche-panamera-turbo-revell-m-1-24-art-nr-07034-0379

Edited by BVC500
corrected link

3 hours ago, BVC500 said:

And some more. In one of these photos, you can see Revell attempted to replicate the panoramic glass roof on the underside of the roof..<_<

Also, while this is a test model, looks like that body is really going to need a lot of prep to smooth out the mold lines, surface waviness, and deepen panel lines.

https://www.modellbauseite.at/forum/plastikmodellbau-bausatzbesprechungen/pkw-ab/pkw-1-24-aa/8058-porsche-panamera-turbo-revell-m-1-24-art-nr-07034-0379

I'll bet with that headliner detail there are some epic visible sink marks on the outer roof. Perhaps they cost-reduced a panoramic roof from the clear tree. The other comments on the body are basically SOP for Revell Germany kits. They always seem to require more finishing work in the primer stage than almost any other modern kit; sloppy mold lines, wavy surfaces, inconsistent panel lines, sink marks...you feel you've really "made it" by the time you shoot color on it. Perhaps this is also why they chose a solid roof panel.

Again...really wish this was the Sport Turismo...to my eyes it's by far the best looking Panamera. Revell GmbH doesn't seem to operate like Revell USA or other companies by making variations of a basic kit, it's usually one and done with them, or both (like the VW Golf) intro'd basically at the same time.

On 11/30/2017 at 4:31 PM, The Junkman said:

Those Calif plate decals on the test shot page:  Comic Sans Font?  Really?  Also the plates beginning with "2" would have been issued about 1988-89.

Right - 2PAN971 checks out to be an '89 Honda Civic that last passed smog in 2006. :wacko:

Never mind, I'll see myself out...

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Right - 2PAN971 checks out to be an '89 Honda Civic that last passed smog in 2006. :wacko:

Never mind, I'll see myself out...

Personal knowledge? :rolleyes:  Don't mind me, things like fonts and number sequence are just evidence of my touch of age related OCD.

I guess I must be one of very few people in the world, but I don't like Porsches at all. I don't like their styling, I'm not a two-seater fan and I think their SUVs are ugly as sin. It seems to me there are a billion and one Porsche kits out there, so I'm surprised the particular model that some people want doesn't already exist. I completely pass over any and all Porsche kits with a shake of my head, wondering why anyone cares, or perhaps, why I don't.

I am such a non-fan of their styling, that I would literally not take one as a lottery prize. I would trade it for cash or sell it. I like power sedans, 4-doors, big motors and the ability to go fast while hauling my family and a trunkful of stuff. That's why I love my G8, as well as Chargers and, to a degree, 300s. 

HOWEVER...

I absolutely LOVE the Panamera. No one, and I mean no one else I talk to likes it. I think it is by far the MOST beautiful Porsche product ever designed, especially with a small rear spoiler. 

It adds mass, strength, purpose and maturity to a styling trend that always seems to produce what, to me, look like melting ice sculptures of snake heads. Extending the body, adding those two extra doors... absolute perfection. It is the ONLY Porsche I would ever consider paying for. I even looked into one once. I saw the price and stopped right away, of course! :)

So, I for one am SUPER STOKED to see a Panamera kit. I don't like the Sport Turismo (or whatever the wagon is called) anywhere near as much. 

This release is exactly like Revell Germany read my mind. I couldn't be happier. If it's as nicely detailed as their Trabant, I'll be ecstatic!

Looks like a decent kit. Not an area of my interest but any new tooling is good to see. Full engine detail is great although it looks a little soft on details - lots molded in.

Overall, the car’s appearance is pretty basic and boring. Add a Honda badge to the back, and voila!!!

FD108C07-0512-4233-9A9E-DEA1BAA25A9A.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Revell Panamera on Friday.

Overall a nice kit, but with some issues:

- Sinkmarks on the rear and a grubby mold overall - you have to sand and prime a lot

- Its high as a SUV, you have to lower the suspension, especially on the rear

- Chassis with very low detail

In opposite, the interior looks nice and is very well detailed

Rims and tires are more or less o.k., better than in the past - but I hope Plamoz will make new rims, especially the 21" versions.

Sorry for my english and kind regards from Germany,

Daniel