Model Cars Magazine Forum

D-Revell Panamera

keyser

11 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. From looking at your photos, it looks a little soft around the front end. If you get a chance, why don't you bring it to the M.A.M.A. meeting, since you are local. I , for one would love to see it.

Sure. When is the next meeting?

Query: how best to replicate the parking sensors?  A very small hollow punch tool?

Edited by BVC500

23 minutes ago, BVC500 said:

Query: how best to replicate the parking sensors?  A very small hollow punch tool?

I was thinking on how to fix this issue too, once mine arrives, my thought was to drill it out then take a piece of spure and heat it and pull it to get a tapered piece to insert into the drilled out hole. Sand and shape as needed. But I'd like to hear what others think might be a solution.

2 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I was thinking on how to fix this issue too, once mine arrives, my thought was to drill it out then take a piece of spure and heat it and pull it to get a tapered piece to insert into the drilled out hole. Sand and shape as needed. But I'd like to hear what others think might be a solution.

Drill both and then insert plastic rod painted body color, after the body has been painted.

Edited by Luc Janssens

Get a hypodermic needle from a medical supplier, cut the end off flat with a grinder disc in a Dremel, then twirl the end at 45 degrees on the spinning disk, and lo and behold you have a sharpened hollow punch. I used to use them all the time for rivets and fasteners on aircraft, and I'm sure it would work for these parking sensors as well. It's easier than I might make it sound...

best,

M.

8 hours ago, BVC500 said:

I would probably do what the other modelers suggested. One thing I always do, Research the one to one, either in person with plenty of detail pictures, or from photos on the web. I may buy one of these kits for a future project. I like the car.

Bernard,

We meet the third Saturday of most months at the Greenbelt community center in Greenbelt. See the attached site for more info.

http://www.mamasboyz.org

You will get a real kick out of our meetings. Bring a few of your finished cars, as well as anything you have under construction.

I look forward to seeing you there.

On 1/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, BVC500 said:

Look, the rear only has one parking sensor! It is also missing the parking sensors on the sides of the front bumper (has them on the bumper front).

349570AA-6302-444B-B83F-F8BD488232EC.jpeg

Bernard, 

I got my Panamera today and the body on mine doesnt seem to be as bad as some of the other pics posted. On the parking sensor, I'm not sure which year the kit is suppose to replicate but on the 2017 model that sensor you have circled isnt on the body of the real car. Just the large one on the right as seen in this pic.

2v2Jv9MCqxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

So if you want to do the 2017 car, fill it in, easy fix.

25 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Bernard, 

I got my Panamera today and the body on mine doesnt seem to be as bad as some of the other pics posted. On the parking sensor, I'm not sure which year the kit is suppose to replicate but on the 2017 model that sensor you have circled isnt on the body of the real car. Just the large one on the right as seen in this pic.

Hosted on Fotki

So if you want to do the 2017 car, fill it in, easy fix.

The circle on the right near the lower light is the tie down hook cover, I believe.  There is a matching one on the front.   This is where they screw in hooks and tie down the cars when shipping..

Edited by Rob Hall

Glad to hear your kit isn't as bad. I think the parking sensors are there, just hard to see in your photo due to shadows and glares. I can tell that particular car has them because two of them are located in the black strip between the exhaust tips. There's four in back, four in front. A couple of people offered good, easy suggestions for fixing this issue. Thanks guys!

Rob is right - the blue circle is for the tow hook. I note the front has two, when it should only have one. Probably due to either LHD or RHD configurations, and you have to fill one depending on which you choose.

Edited by BVC500

Just now, Zoom Zoom said:

The photo of the real car is likely one w/o parking sensors at all. They're optional...that's how Porsche makes so much profit, the option prices are punishing, and you might be surprised what's not standard on a high $$ car. 

They are down in the black lower fascia between the tail pipe tips. 

On a 2016 Panamera that little "nipple" would be part of the blind spot detection and backing "radar" system.  There should be FOUR of those more or less in a line across the rear bumper, one where it is, then another inboard near the license plate surround - and then another matching two on the RHS.  The outboard ones are the ones that light up that "dot" in the mirrors to let you know there's someone in your blind spot - the inboard ones are for the "booper" system that lets you know you're about to scuff your expensive paint parallel parking.  There should also be FOUR of them on the front bumper when the car is equipped that way, two for lane departure, and two for the adaptive cruise control.  The good news is obliterating the one they started to put on there means you just de-optioned the car a bit and you don't have to carve 7 more onto the bumpers...

Tg_640.jpg.d31152dfedc39f0cf21b8d071bd8dabc.jpgPA_640.jpg.2487c4ca4a38abbad075a39d919e378a.jpg

My guess is this car has been in the works for the usual 12+ months, and at some point RevellAG decided to change to the 2017 version, and they decided to delete out the Assist System, because even a 2017 with lane departure still has two nipples on the outside edges of the front and back bumper, while the backing assist is in the rear fascia plate as David points out, and the adaptive cruise control sensors are mounted in the front fascia "plates" that surround the turn signals and front vents.

I didn't upload any pictures of the 2017 lane departure, but the flipping box art clearly shows them. :rolleyes:

Edited by niteowl7710

Ya know why we puzzle over the last minute deletion of Electronic Nannies, and someone forgetting to fill in that last sensor area...can we also pause to take a second to also low five - via a kick in the boys - whomever was tasked to tool up the brakes.  Because while the C7.R brakes had herpes temporarily, can someone explain what happened here?

26695657_10155977267135699_1596562865_o.thumb.png.ea25f65da018ae4493a18499a95ca7ac.png

The Vette brakes while bemusing, at least made sense.  It followed a pattern of the Chinese tooling place not being able to read the plans and tooling things in relief of themselves (aka in negative) which also plagued the '30 Ford's "skeleton" interior.  Those...those are like something someone does on Friday after they really don't care and might have had a few wee nips off a flask in the process.  Thank God there will be P/E sets for this kit, but in 2000 and now EIGHTEEN I shouldn't HAVE to replace the brakes on a $30 model kit. I mean...just leave 'em blank if you're not gonna do the job.

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

They are down in the black lower fascia between the tail pipe tips. 

Ah...and I just spied one of the bumper sensors in that 1:1 photo, reflections doing a good job hiding it. 

More detail pictures like the brakes and chassis tree that show just how "enthusiastic" the kit engineers and designers were on this project. And then last week we were treated to this kit description on Revell Germany's own webpage. It was so perfectly on-point that it didn't remain long, but Google has a cache...:lol:

2v2JvECVmxvKa6.png

Alas it was updated to this: 

2v2JvEChTxvKa6.png

1 hour ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Ah...and I just spied one of the bumper sensors in that 1:1 photo, reflections doing a good job hiding it. 

More detail pictures like the brakes and chassis tree that show just how "enthusiastic" the kit engineers and designers were on this project. And then last week we were treated to this kit description on Revell Germany's own webpage. It was so perfectly on-point that it didn't remain long, but Google has a cache...:lol:

That was Revell of good 'ole Elk Grove Village that had that wonderfully insulting kit description for about 24hrs, what's up there now is a copy-pasta of the RevellAG description word for word. 

I saw that and wondering how long it would last given RevellAG seems to be all-in on this new Porsche license to try to replace the Ferrari one they were to cheap to renew.  Nothing like having some web lackey with a social justice streak stick his/her thumb square in the eye of a major corporation you're trying to build a relationship with...I mean other than a couple of Bimmers and Mercs (and the odd McLaren) EVERYTHING they've done in the past several years has been a Porsche. Last thing they need, particularly with all the morass surrounding the parent company and their yearlong ESOP/Dept of Labor Investigation odyssey, is losing the main license they have to produce new products.

4 hours ago, BVC500 said:

Glad to hear your kit isn't as bad. I think the parking sensors are there, just hard to see in your photo due to shadows and glares. I can tell that particular car has them because two of them are located in the black strip between the exhaust tips. There's four in back, four in front. A couple of people offered good, easy suggestions for fixing this issue. Thanks guys!

Rob is right - the blue circle is for the tow hook. I note the front has two, when it should only have one. Probably due to either LHD or RHD configurations, and you have to fill one depending on which you choose.

I am seeing these on recent photos of the real car, but not in the spot on the model

image.thumb.png.3be2738ae1d1ecd816e9eecf64e4f989.png

"More detail pictures like the brakes and chassis tree that show just how "enthusiastic" the kit engineers and designers were on this project. And then last week we were treated to this kit description on Revell Germany's own webpage. It was so perfectly on-point that it didn't remain long, but Google has a cache...:lol:"

Geez, wouldn't it have made more sense (business sense too) to have tooled a 911 and its variations????  Hard to believe Revell was more than enthusiastic about this than other Porsches.

Edited by BVC500

1 minute ago, BVC500 said:

Geez, would it have made more sense (business sense too) to have tooled a 911, and its variations????  Hard to believe Revell was more than enthusiastic about this than other Porsches.

I am surprised they didn't do something obvious like a 911 GT3 RS, or even a regular 911 Carrera or a Turbo or one of the other 25 variations.  I do like the newest Panamera, though.  A Cayenne would be nice to see also. 

1 hour ago, BVC500 said:

Geez, wouldn't it have made more sense (business sense too) to have tooled a 911 and its variations????  Hard to believe Revell was more than enthusiastic about this than other Porsches.

Sad state of affairs, isn't it? There is literally nothing from Revell Germany that I will buy in 2018. Nothing. Easily first time in 10-15 years they literally have nothing coming I want.

15 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Sad state of affairs, isn't it? There is literally nothing from Revell Germany that I will buy in 2018. Nothing. Easily first time in 10-15 years they literally have nothing coming I want.

I'm right there with you, but if they actually tool up the right bumpers and "P-Hole" (not being disgusting the holes on the wheels are the letter "P") wheels for that '83 Pirelli GTi, I will probably break down and get one of those to go with all of my other Mk1 Golf/Rabbit/Caddy kits.

28 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

I may get the Ford GT LeMans.   I do have the Porsche tractor and Panamera on order, but those were 2017 releases.  

34 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Same here!