Model Cars Magazine Forum

D-Revell Panamera

keyser

Not be an iconic race car? Not be a crushing supercar? (see Koenigsegg, etc)

I forgot 906, 910, RS60/61. Who would remember these cars?? :)

Panameras will be remembered through the end of their leases. I'm sure 10's of people will rush to buy a kit. 4/10 will return it because it's a kit. 

Well thank the diety of your choice you don't have to buy one. Wasn't' the time to bemoan this waste of tooling dollars 11 1/2 months ago when they announced this kit?

I guess if nothing else the take away from this forum is I always know exactly what kits people don't want to buy. Not sure why I need this information, or why the majority of people here need to scream it from the rooftops.

Edited by niteowl7710

I'm buying one. Normally I dont go for sedans, I like race cars/sports cars but something different is good once in awhile. Should they have done a more common car, maybe, but I'll take it. 

As far as the 991 goes, if you want a race car you can get a plain white body kit from Scale Auto slot cars and put a chassis under it. I've got a body, just waiting for the 911 GT3 kit from Fujimi to arrive to check the fit. If all goes well I'll be building a 991 GT3 kit for my 24hours of Daytona FB group build in January. But I'd love to see a street version of a newer 911 or Caymen for sure.

I'm happy with a Panamera, but I am surprised the 991-range of Porsches hasn't been kitted. I'm not exactly sure how the licensing works, but I feel they could have sold a lot of kits with all the different variations.

Couple more things:

1) Revell rushes to announce a kit, such as the AMG GT, and they miss out on more exciting versions, like the AMG GTR.

2) Tamiya needs to produce a 1/24 Singer Porsche!

Not saying that it's the case, but maybe the license agreement included some stipulations that stated which vehicles get produced and in what order. This may be what needs to happen to get those other kits you guys are hoping for.

Whoah now, diddn' anybody say nothin' about not wanting to buy an RoG Panamera (well I didn't, did you?) - in fact, by virtue of the latest Panamera looking a lot less like a syphilitic hunchback and more like the 991 many (most?) of us want in the first place, I'll be having one, m'self.

It's not so much a pan of the 'Mera as it is the bonehead-obviousness of 911s maybe a bit less than forty years old.  Okay, WAY less.

Then again, Hasegawa may come around to a good 991.2 GT3 in the 2050s...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
punctuation

I'll likely buy & build the Panamera kit, but wish it was the Sport Turismo that to me looks 10,000 times cooler than the sedan/hatch. I can't wrap my head around any discussion at Revell GmbH of future products declaring a Panamera sedan the best choice my company could make for a subject to make my company money. When said company is selling model kits aka dreams in a box. Seems if tooling was cut for plastic it would be for something more exciting than a sedan. Welly could do some great 2nd generation Panamera diecasts (Sport Turismo, please...)...surely I have yet to hear anyone griping that the 1st generation Panamera was only available as a diecast. If you want to scratchbuild, find a C6 Corvette front half and graft it to a Yukon Gold back half and have at it.

In 2017 a new Panamera kit seems almost as absurd as the Trumpeter '78 Monte Carlo. But it's not like Revell GmbH seems to have any rational pattern to the subjects they choose. On January 1 I would not be at all surprised if they announce a BMW 2002. Because...that's what they do. 3.0 CS? Hah!  

So far the only 991's are diecast. Welly has a 1/24 991 GT3 RS coming next year...I have a feeling that's the only way we'll ever get one.

The Revell guy at Telford was pretty cagey about the contents. It doesn't have an engine, and the suspension is likely simplified. It's described as a "Skill 3" and has less than 100 parts. (Mind you, the 570s is also a skill 3, and has many more parts, and the Corvette C.7R has substantially less than 100 but builds up into a nice model in the right hands...) The build on show was a mule (maybe even a diecast) so I couldn't look any closer. But no, I can't get very excited about it. It's not really an "aspirational" car in real life, is it...? Just good at what it does. Someone should really be doing deals for a DB11 or Valkyrie, if you ask me...

best,

M.

Didn't say I'm not buying it. Merely posted it is imminent. Posted my disbelief that out of ALL new Beetles, they pick THIS. 

I've grabbed slot bodies to do cars that'll NEVER be done (2J, etc.)

I usually buy 1:1's, so a kit is just a nice pastime. I don't see Panameras getting tracked at COTA or MSR. Guess a day trip to Spa or the 'Ring due for the product planners at GRev. 

Considering most Panameras are sold as car guy cars for guys that really don't like cars, or Junior League staff cars (along with Rangies, et al), I not imagine what Germans under 30 think of this? LOL.  

Bob may get his GT out of this tool. But a 991 tool with minor changes can yield base cars thru GTS. Flared body gets GT2, R, GT2 Touring. Big flares get GT3RS, GT2 RS, TT, 

That's a real mindbuster on efficient tooling use, and 991.1 and 991.2 as well. 

I've already ordered a Panamera kit, but like Bob said the Sport Turismo would be my first choice too. Still I'd be much more excited by a current 911. Have several 991.1 and 991.2 diecasts, and even a few 991.2s in 1/87 plastic. 

Good to hear that Welly has a 1/24-scale GT3 RS in the works. Have Welly's 1/24 Carrera S, and it's BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH nice for a moderately priced diecast.