Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Roadrunner (Not A Plymouth...)

This looks like an easy project for those of us who like to build police vehicles.  Several companies make Border Patrol decals, and I think that light bar was also available in some kits, or from the aftermarket.  Other than that, I think we'd just need a roll bar.

"In the early 90’s the US Border Patrol, Tucson Sector, had a program called Project Roadrunner. The purpose of the program was to reduce the number and length of pursuits using vehicles quicker than the traditional police cars at the time. The border patrol purchased a Chevy Z-28 Camaro, SSP Ford Mustang, and a Pontiac Firebird for this project."  (The official museum display mentions 2 Firebirds, both Formula 350's.)

http://www.sspcentral.com/u-s-border-patrol-project-roadrunner/

BP-firebird.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

The state HiPo had cars like that around that time.  They eventually had them taken away as the patrolmen thought they were race car drivers and were causing too many accidents.  They also complained that there was not enough room for their gear and a lot of the times could not transport the person arrested because there was no room in the back seat area.

The California Highway Patrol had the Mustangs.  Long ago, in the early 90s IIRC, I was on a date with a woman who had a new Mustang GT. She wanted to drive, so we got on the 405 freeway headed to a restaurant.  She saw a Mustang coming up behind us and thought he wanted to race.  Whoops! It was a CHP Mustang.  The nice officer just gave her a hand gesture - "slow down!" - and kept going.

The BP was almost the exclusive user of the Trans Am. Lots of state/sheriff and local users of Mustang SSP's and Camaro's. There's even an ol CHP Mustang driver here on this board. I've been considering writing a book on em...The BP T/A is nice, that green color is unique. Cool project.

Jeff