Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Is In The Box ?, Chase Elliotts Napa Auto Parts Chevy SS

martinfan5

So no Goodyear markings but they include the tire markings?  Or have they gone back to molded in lettering?  I quit NASCAR kits a long time ago.  Got over 100 built from back when.  

No Goodyear markings , the tires are blank,  Revell does not have Goodyear licensing or any tire licensing. 

I don't think that anyone is the "bad guy" per se, it's just a matter of economics. Revell flounders around in this belief that their prices have to stay around  $20 - some might argue there's a basis in that from a quality standpoint, as well as the near constant belly aching of a loud obnoxious minority who whine whenever the MSRP goes up a buck or two. Plus I'm sure the aftermarket guys love selling sheet after sheet of supplemental decals.

However the reality of course is that Round2 & Moebius both charge more for their products, to say nothing of Tamiya and none of those guys seem to sweat the licensing or price point as much. Beemax, Belkits, Ebbro are also well in excess of $30, but their more of a niche market and know their customers will pay more for what they're offering.

Edited by niteowl7710

Good review Jonathan, thank you. It sort of reaffirms my lack of interest in the current cars and NASCAR as it stands today. Glad Revell made the kits for the people that are interested. Seems there are too many left out details and decals, it just makes the whole experience less fun.

Enjoy your many Chevy kits, should build up fine with some effort, lots of aftermarket decals and some paints. Have fun Buddy!

Good review Jonathan, thank you. It sort of reaffirms my lack of interest in the current cars and NASCAR as it stands today. Glad Revell made the kits for the people that are interested. Seems there are too many left out details and decals, it just makes the whole experience less fun.

Enjoy your many Chevy kits, should build up fine with some effort, lots of aftermarket decals and some paints. Have fun Buddy!

Thanks Bill,  I have to say, the detail is on par if not better in some areas then the last NASCAR kits Revell did  , these are very nice kits,  I did not cover the entire kit because I did that on the Fords, so have a look

Edited by martinfan5

I don't understand the whole licensing thing there.  Who is the bad guy here? Goodyear or revell... Idk

I held a GoodYear license at one time. I can't disclose the details but it was a reasonable deal.  We made GoodYear dry transfers for NASCAR and other types model tires.  That license went well for years......everyone playing nice. Then those in charge at GoodYear changed and licensing went from trademark protection and legal liability protection to a 'Profit Center'.  For us the license fee went way up and was one reason we shut down.  

Draw your own conclusion from my story.....but as I was doing some freelance work for Revell at the time....I know what happened......