Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442/FE3-X instruction sheet is up

echoxrayniner

Dang - I really did not want to want a second (or third) version of this.  Can't wait to see it and see some built.  I'll decide then.  Can't we get a wire wheel-covered version?  LOL.  Mainstreamer.  Half vinyl top?  Brougham-y.

Yeah, same here, I had zero desire in the FE3-X ,but seeing that its a 2n1 looks like I am going to be getting one.

Yea. I too have no desire for FE3-X. But, the stock '85 4-4-2? Heck yea! This kit is now added to my list of must haves. 

Notice the stock 4-4-2 version even comes with a standup hood ornament. How cool is that? I miss car jewelry like that. 

Looks like they did a nice job on this one, each of the noses seems to have a different grill pattern, which opens up more build possibilities.  Also see two steering wheels.  VERY nice to finally have a flat hood, as well!

Instructions seems to show the bisected style earlier taillights, but with the Olds emblem in the center.  For now I'm going to assume that it's just a sloppy edit of the H/O instructions, and hope they got the taillights correct for 1985+

EDIT:

Scott, totally overlooked that hood ornament in the instructions - good stuff!

I already got 2 of the H/O kits, looks like I'll be getting at least 2 of these bad boys, too...

Edited by Robberbaron

Yea. I too have no desire for FE3-X. But, the stock '85 4-4-2? Heck yea! This kit is now added to my list of must haves. 

Notice the stock 4-4-2 version even comes with a standup hood ornament. How cool is that? I miss car jewelry like that. 

As kid in the 80's I loved those BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH hood ornaments and thought they were the neatest thing ever.

Cool!  I'll pick one of these up too.  I bought the Hurst already but this kit is a better starting point for a replica of my first car- an '84 brougham,  light beige with navy interior and vinyl top,  still need to figure out wire wheels and the split bench seat though

Cool!  I'll pick one of these up too.  I bought the Hurst already but this kit is a better starting point for a replica of my first car- an '84 brougham,  light beige with navy interior and vinyl top,  still need to figure out wire wheels and the split bench seat though

Yeah buddy , hi five, mine was light blue ext and dark blue interior and white Landua , like you , I need to find the wire wheels and a no balls V6

What about the split seat from the 91 Caprice kits, would that work?

Edited by martinfan5

Yeah buddy , hi five, mine was light blue ext and dark blue interior and white Landua , like you , I need to find the wire wheels and a no balls V6 

Mine was a 307 V8 with an electronic quadrajunk.  First car my mom ever picked out herself.  I had it for about six months before it was stolen.  

Mine was a 307 V8 with an electronic quadrajunk.  First car my mom ever picked out herself.  I had it for about six months before it was stolen.  

Yup, that high quality GM steering column that a toddler could peel.  That's not much of an exaggeration - I clearly recall a couple news stories in the Chicago area back in the nineties about 10 year old kids stealing Cutlasses and Monte Carlos.

About half the people I knew with these G-bodies ended up getting them stolen, including my brother's Monte SS that got totalled in the ensuing police chase.

Yup, that high quality GM steering column that a toddler could peel.  That's not much of an exaggeration - I clearly recall a couple news stories in the Chicago area back in the nineties about 10 year old kids stealing Cutlasses and Monte Carlos.

About half the people I knew with these G-bodies ended up getting them stolen, including my brother's Monte SS that got totalled in the ensuing police chase.

If I recall incorrectly, wasnt there a aftermarket metal clap that you could put on the column ?

If I recall incorrectly, wasnt there a aftermarket metal clap that you could put on the column ?

Yeah, I remember those, too.  Lots of people used "The Club", too, thinking that would stop someone from being able to steer their car  even if they did peel the column.  Didn't take the thieves too long to realize that it only took a minute or two to saw through the rim of the steering wheel itself, then just slip it off.

Oh looking forward to this... I have 4 of the HO kit left... probably get another... but I expect to grab 4 or 5 of this one as well.

I'll have to start practicing my vinyl tops... and figure out how to add the chrome panels around the bottom.

Edited by KWT

Yeah, I remember those, too.  Lots of people used "The Club", too, thinking that would stop someone from being able to steer their car  even if they did peel the column.  Didn't take the thieves too long to realize that it only took a minute or two to saw through the rim of the steering wheel itself, then just slip it off.

LOL yeah the club was great till the word got out you could saw through it.

Oh looking forward to this... I have 4 of the HO kit left... probably get another... but I expect to grab 4 or 5 of this one as well.

I'll have to start practicing my vinyl tops... and figure out how to add the chrome panels around the bottom.

Yep, thinking maybe masking tape

Evergreen strip plastic should work  , its easy to bend and shape

Looking at this Oldsmobile instruction sheet reminds me the 80ies Monogram production, like the Monte Carlo or GN Buick, I know those cars are very close but I don't see any "progress" concerning details compares to kits that were edited around 30 years ago !!! :o

Anyway I will buy one because this one has the flat hood so that would do an easy grocery getters base kit ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to it..I can see getting 3--one to do as a stock 442, the FE3-X, and a plain Cutlass (I have resin wire wheel covers, need to find whitewall tires that would look ok for the mid 80s).   As a teenager in the mid 80s, I remember when Cutlasses were everywhere. I have 4 of the '83 version with plans for them, so looking forward to this version. 

Edited by Rob Hall