Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1950 Ford Showboat

Mr. Metallic

I searched through the last 2 years of the Kit Reviews section and couldn't find a review of this kit. Just wondering what's in the box of this most recent reissue by Round2. I know they usually add new goodies/open the gates to give us long missing parts. I also tried the search function and didn't come up with much. Thanks

Looked thru my kit first of all you get a nifty little box

20171117_083915.thumb.jpg.4b260938a9f8d5\

Options for customizing front and rear 

20171117_083952.thumb.jpg.6655088e72008e20171117_084000.thumb.jpg.92139079f41235

20171117_084019.thumb.jpg.61c0f9ded1b237

Molde in exhaust 

20171117_084123.thumb.jpg.d6435e885931b5

Choice of top up or top down or custom half top20171117_084528.thumb.jpg.cf263fbb561e8a

Some plastic two piece slicks some nice printed rubber slicks and witewalls with wide on one side and narrow on the other

20171117_084643.thumb.jpg.537f058424e75f

Some nice chrome with mag wheels and beauty trim rings, custom stuff and a dual air horn 

20171117_084719.thumb.jpg.45ad5638706cc5

assorted decals 

20171117_084828.thumb.jpg.cec3ea6b9ab43420171117_085030.thumb.jpg.8de7365f5d0e7520171117_085035.thumb.jpg.6b7673d229f62020171117_085101.thumb.jpg.0a4e9211e672b1

20171117_084520.jpg

Thanks guys. So the additions are the beautiful tires (can always use more of those), the decals and the mini-box? Dave, did you say a straight axle? Cool!

Jon, thank you so much for the pics. I have an older issue of this kit, but with a 40% at Hobby Lobby I just might pick up another.

This and the '49 Ford coupe are a couple of my all time favorites. As a child my parents had a black '49 four door. The one thing that has always made me wonder about the reissues is the Victoria hardtop is gone. The original and a few of the early reissues had the option of a chopped Victoria hardtop that would use the chopped windshield that is in this kit. I did one years ago and redid it in '08 and got a first place in a Custom Themed model show. I always look for someone to cast one in Resin but no luck so far. If anyone knows of someone casting the Victoria roof either stock or chopped I would appreciate someone letting me know.  

This and the '49 Ford coupe are a couple of my all time favorites. As a child my parents had a black '49 four door. The one thing that has always made me wonder about the reissues is the Victoria hardtop is gone. The original and a few of the early reissues had the option of a chopped Victoria hardtop that would use the chopped windshield that is in this kit. I did one years ago and redid it in '08 and got a first place in a Custom Themed model show. I always look for someone to cast one in Resin but no luck so far. If anyone knows of someone casting the Victoria roof either stock or chopped I would appreciate someone letting me know.  

A stock '51 Ford Victoria would be high on my list, if it is ever done. How cool would that be on the shelf? AMT's '49 Ford club coupe, '50 convertible, and a '51 Vicky sitting in a row. I don't know why AMT didn't do it back in the day?

I fully agree that a plastic '51 Ford has been needed in the hobby for quite some time.  You're probably right that a Victoria would be the most popular, but I personally would prefer a Tudor.

There's a legitimate argument that it would allow us to mash it together with the '49 and '50 kits to get a coupe, convert, or sedan for any of the three years.  But my own selfish motive is to be able to build a replica of my dad's first car.

A stock '51 Ford Victoria would be high on my list, if it is ever done. How cool would that be on the shelf? AMT's '49 Ford club coupe, '50 convertible, and a '51 Vicky sitting in a row. I don't know why AMT didn't do it back in the day?

I fully agree that a plastic '51 Ford has been needed in the hobby for quite some time.  You're probably right that a Victoria would be the most popular, but I personally would prefer a Tudor.

There's a legitimate argument that it would allow us to mash it together with the '49 and '50 kits to get a coupe, convert, or sedan for any of the three years.  But my own selfish motive is to be able to build a replica of my dad's first car.

I got a Resin '51 Ford tudoor from Star Models but I just haven't gotten around to building it. I have owned 2 different '51 1:1 tudoors years ago and also wanted to replicate one of those cars. The Victoria came out in late in the '51 model year. Ford offered a model called the Crestline which added a sweeping side molding from the front fender to just behind the front door where it connected to the standard side molding. Remember very early on GM came out with a tudoor hardtop and Ford didn't have anything until '51 to compete so they offered the Crestline. I have built a Resin '51 Crestline and they really look great with the tutone paint and vinyl roof. Besides the grill area the dash is the biggest difference between the '49 thru '51. That would be the hardest part of the conversion. The '51's also had concealed trunk hinges and the '49's and most '50's they are on top of the trunk and the panel between the trunk and the rear window. also starting in '50 they had a small "brow" over the license plate that had the latch and light for the license plate. The '49's had a chrome handle affair with the right side being the latch handle and the left side being used to lift the trunk lid. The Resin body of the '51 I got from star looks right on and the dash board looks perfect to me so that maybe a place to start for a tudoor. I either of you start one of these please post them here as I would enjoy watching your builds.  

Espo, something is going on about me post some pics. But Replica and Minatures did or still does the Vicky and soft top Carson. I have them and tried to send pictures but something not loving me!!!

Dennis

CD965DC1-DF1D-4A91-B16E-25B3ED9923DC.jpeg

76972FAC-3B8D-434C-BCAF-362E6740E2D6.jpeg

260D0A89-01E5-4CA2-98D7-450B208B3071.jpeg

518808EC-5B95-4E11-AC09-2D0D47B90CB7.jpeg

FA44181B-6AF3-4302-AF2C-FA0930DE0C27.jpeg

Thanks guys. So the additions are the beautiful tires (can always use more of those), the decals and the mini-box? Dave, did you say a straight axle? Cool!

Jon, thank you so much for the pics. I have an older issue of this kit, but with a 40% at Hobby Lobby I just might pick up another.

Hi Craig. Yep, a straight axle (not plated). That and the plastic slicks are the additions (and probably why the Victoria roof, skirts and fins are gone forever). Looks like they opened a couple gates On the chrome tree as a couple dividers and possibly the rear glass for the Vicky are present. On the negative side they ruined the two rear Cragar mag wheels. BTW, for anyone curious about the Carson top, the half top is what's left of it. You can see traces of the pleats on the ejector pin marks on the underside.

Edited by Dave Darby

Back when this was a fairly new kit they included the "glass" for the rear windows on both the Carson top and the Victoria roof. I think the very first issues had a stock Victoria roof also but at that time customization was the big thing as indicated by the optional front and rear body parts and part of that was the chopped top so we had an option of a Convertible both stock and chopped, a chopped top with a rear quarter roof or a full Carson top. Included also was a stock height Victoria top and a chopped Victoria top. Man those were the days, the hardest part was figuring out how you wanted to build the kit.

Back when this was a fairly new kit they included the "glass" for the rear windows on both the Carson top and the Victoria roof. I think the very first issues had a stock Victoria roof also but at that time customization was the big thing as indicated by the optional front and rear body parts and part of that was the chopped top so we had an option of a Convertible both stock and chopped, a chopped top with a rear quarter roof or a full Carson top. Included also was a stock height Victoria top and a chopped Victoria top. Man those were the days, the hardest part was figuring out how you wanted to build the kit.

No on both counts. There was a chopped Victoria roof, a Carson top, and stock convertible up top. No other roof options ever. The Carson top was re-worked into the half top that's in all of the kits subsequent to the Showboat issue.

There's a nice resin Victoria body with body, trim, and interior available. It's old R&R I think, but I got mine thru Steve Kohler at Star. Chrome not done, but with Molotow or Modelhaus chrome (got it for mine) it's easy. 

http://resinrealm.net/Star/STAR Models/51_Victoria.html $41

4DE4B4D1-978D-4C11-A568-4FB2B849FF86.jpgA51D8F0A-F941-4317-BC3A-D55ADC6A740C.jpg

Edited by keyser
pics

I was referring to a company not having a website.

Norm has NEVER had a website, too busy making awesome product. I've bought from him for 25 years. He doesn't need a website. Lots of places to find his stuff and Harold Bradford's HRM stuff too. 

His early hot rod stuff is amazing. As is his sports car stuff, and Brad's product.