Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1950 Ford Showboat

Mr. Metallic

Thanks Mark, Dave and Casey.

Never having had a Showboat issue I had no idea what the axle looked like. I didn't notice the straight axle in the pictures that showed the re issues content. 

Looks like I'll have to pick up one of the Showboat issues.

Edited by VW93
spelling

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a flathead that I could swap in easily that DOESN’T have the holes in the block but would still be correct for this car?

I could just fill the holes in the block easily enough, but if there’s a better flathead in one of the other AMT kits that would drop right in that would make my job a little easier... 

15 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a flathead that I could swap in easily that DOESN’T have the holes in the block but would still be correct for this car?

I could just fill the holes in the block easily enough, but if there’s a better flathead in one of the other AMT kits that would drop right in that would make my job a little easier... 

The AMT '50 Mercury has a nice Flat Head engine. I've robed the speed parts out of all the ones in my stash to upgrade a few '49 Ford coupes. I'd just fill the hole in the engine sides and go forward from there. 

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

AMT 49 Ford is a direct interchange, and any issue newer than 1991 will not have the hole in the block. It will also have stub axles so you won't need the metal axle.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2017 at 9:12 AM, espo said:

This and the '49 Ford coupe are a couple of my all time favorites. As a child my parents had a black '49 four door. The one thing that has always made me wonder about the reissues is the Victoria hardtop is gone. The original and a few of the early reissues had the option of a chopped Victoria hardtop that would use the chopped windshield that is in this kit. I did one years ago and redid it in '08 and got a first place in a Custom Themed model show. I always look for someone to cast one in Resin but no luck so far. If anyone knows of someone casting the Victoria roof either stock or chopped I would appreciate someone letting me know.  

David,

AMT's Ford promo from '49 to '51 was the Custom 4-door.  Some of these warp, while others don't.  They come with mirrored metal "glass" inserts.  I know they were molded in red and dark blue.  You might be able to find one in black like your parents' car. 

15 hours ago, Motor City said:

David,

AMT's Ford promo from '49 to '51 was the Custom 4-door.  Some of these warp, while others don't.  They come with mirrored metal "glass" inserts.  I know they were molded in red and dark blue.  You might be able to find one in black like your parents' car. 

Thank you for the thought. I think any of those old Promos are beyond my pay grade. I have two Resin bodies now of a '50 and a '51 Ford Tudoor sedan to build of a couple of my past cars. 

7 hours ago, espo said:

Thank you for the thought. I think any of those old Promos are beyond my pay grade. I have two Resin bodies now of a '50 and a '51 Ford Tudoor sedan to build of a couple of my past cars. 

You should be able to get any of them in mint condition for a little over $100, and one that is slightly warped or has scratched up paint for considerably less money.