Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Comet... Wild Bubbletop Show Rod- Done! 3-17

Impalow

The last 2 years I have been lucky enough to win the Buckeye Classic / Ohio Challenge contest put on by the Buckeye Scale Auto Club,  the first year with my pro-tuner Cuda and last year with my Model A streamliner.    

So naturally im going to try and go for a three-peat.  This years challenge is the Moebius Comet, built any way you want.  

For awhile I struggled with ideas for this, because to me this isnt the prettiest of vehicles... Thinking maybe a lowrider, protouring, gasser, even a sixties custom... Finally  looking at the side profile of the car I had an idea.... Crazy Bubbletop Roth-style Show Rod!

Im thinking something along the line of the Mysterion... dual engines...dual blowers... piecrust slicks... spindle mounts..metalflake and pearl..... you get the idea..

So first off i decided glue on the hood and remove the roof.

IMG_6086.thumb.JPG.3b48b5b81f74805d6d9f1

Then Piecut the body

IMG_6088.thumb.JPG.93bd7cb4e8cc882654cd2

IMG_6089.thumb.JPG.0a8dfe5006e4685ec9ea1

IMG_6092.thumb.JPG.c1ba83fae97040de8476f

IMG_6090.thumb.JPG.adb77114f49cdadfd8fb3

Then mated it with the top area from the Beatnik Bandit

IMG_6094.thumb.JPG.6e0781c5e8f0d22d212c9

Cut Cut Snip Snip

IMG_6097.thumb.JPG.f93e8133bcaa268e3bb09IMG_6099.thumb.JPG.e6826da7710f971a58c2aIMG_6101.thumb.JPG.c581c33476c53df3ea8d7

Still quite a way to go... but im pretty happy with the start.

Edited by Impalow

Crazy! Oddly enough I was just mocking up something similar last night, using a damaged '67 GTX body and a Beatnik Bandit bubbletop. Don't think I'll build it after all, but that's ok because now I can just watch this thread.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes! I'm a big fan of your 'cuda and streamliner projects.

The way you slice and dice the body you make it look easy. A thought on the over all length. The front end seems long since the Comet is a much larger car to begin with. Do you intend to go that way or are you thinking about shortening the front end ? 

Thank You for all the comments guys!  Not going to lie this is a fun one...

The way you slice and dice the body you make it look easy. A thought on the over all length. The front end seems long since the Comet is a much larger car to begin with. Do you intend to go that way or are you thinking about shortening the front end ? 

I did realize it went nose heavy and long... and i thought about shortening it a bit... but i really don't want to interrupt any of the the factory lines on the side of the car.  I think my solution will be to go with twin engines inline, instead of side-by-side like my original plan.  That should fill up the anteater nose thing that's going on.

not the prettiest of cars?!?!?!?! Maybe Im biased since I grew up with them and have had mine for over 20 years haha

hahaha... sorry chris.. totally just my opinion... but i will say it is growing on me.  I'm really starting to like the styling of the rear.

Here is a bit of progress from the weekend...   First, I wedge cut the rocker panels to get the stance correct, then knocked out a quick mockup.IMG_6110.thumb.JPG.fcc421a9fab835d62c6e3

IMG_6111.thumb.JPG.ded9579eaf640dfcdbc33

After that i started working on the engines....I was able to dig up a couple 428 cobra jets from my dads stash of fords and began modifying them to make the inline setup.  

IMG_6114.thumb.JPG.b86aca9d76a07246f67b1IMG_6115.thumb.JPG.a1f9f3338aec47f25c937

Edited by Impalow