Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Comet... Wild Bubbletop Show Rod- Done! 3-17

Impalow

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and interest!  Ill hopefully post an update here soon...

Definitely taking shape. This is going to be wild. Any ideas on paint yet?

Thanks bob!  I'm thinking metal flake violet and pinks for some reason... maybe taking some cues from an actual outer space comet... seems appropriate. 

Wild ride and excellent cutting and fabrication work for sure!  I was thinking more like the Silhouette but I like where this is going.

One idea I had, instead of two complete engines, how about mating them up into a V16??

Thank you David!!   I thought about that... but the duels seem more budget and tech appropriate, thinking a 1:1 would be garage built in the late 60s early 70s.. yeah i overthink my builds..  haha

Do you have plans for the bodies stock front wheel opening ?

Yeah I think I'm just going to fill it..  I need to make room for the stereotypical show-rod straight axle with coil springs so it might not be 100% filled.   I need to get working on a frame and see how everything shakes out.

Edited by Impalow

Did a little photo-chopping...

mods as of last posting

comet-rod.thumb.jpg.f36b9aeb2e37f197fc8e

Shortened front clip to remove need for extra engine, shortened rear deck a little, relocated front wheels/drop axle to be in front of headlight housings, added header to give engine a location.

comet-rod1.thumb.jpg.ae87140df97e9154e7a

DISCLAIMER

Keep in mind that my photo-chopping is just to illustrate possibilities and is not meant to impose my ideas on Eric, since it has been plainly evident for quite a while that he doesn't really need any help building amazing models.

Edited by blunc
disclamer

The shortened front end brings the length down to a more "standard" size but I kinda like the twin-mill idea.

Two suggestions if you're interested.  Use a cover on the side pipes like the Vipers used with the outlet still ahead of the rear wheels. It could add a little to the sill area and enhance the wedge profile.  The other is the about the rear tire - bubble top. They seem to be out of scale compared to each other.  I am guessing its probably easier to change the tire size then the bubble top.  Just my 2 cents.

Definitely looking forward to see where this goes.

I love the length, it has dragster vibes like Jim Keeler's Dodge Fever.  I'd just go with the one engine set back, I like the side pipes Mike added in his photo shopping. 

In the earlier photos I thought it needed to be sectioned, but you took care of that by cutting off the lower part.  I think it's really coming along to be something we haven't seen before. Way too cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for checking this thing out and providing encouragement!!!  I haven't gotten much bench time lately...

I picked up a new 1:1 car...

IMG_6135.thumb.JPG.a352ed0b017b20ac29d698eb8ddf6d33.JPG

and its been nice enough to play with it a bit...  the weather is supposed to turn this week, so hopefully back at it soon.

Did a little photo-chopping...

mods as of last posting

Shortened front clip to remove need for extra engine, shortened rear deck a little, relocated front wheels/drop axle to be in front of headlight housings, added header to give engine a location.

comet-rod1.thumb.jpg.ae87140df97e9154e7a

DISCLAIMER

Keep in mind that my photo-chopping is just to illustrate possibilities and is not meant to impose my ideas on Eric, since it has been plainly evident for quite a while that he doesn't really need any help building amazing models.

Oh man that looks awesome!!!!   I really dig the shorter profile...  I'm probably not going to try that on this, only because this is for a build a Comet contest.. and i need to try and keep some parts recognizable and intact.   However I do think yours looks better, and it has my head thinking of some other future projects.    I love the side pipes... this will most likely have something like that going on.    Thanks for knocking that out..  I love it!

Edited by Impalow

Thanks guys!   The Datsun going to be a fun full-size model project, started tearing into it yesterday... so simple, yet so cool.

I got a couple evenings of bench/computer time...  First up was the rear tires... I wanted pie-crust whitewall slicks...but all the kit options seemed a bit narrow or small in diameter.  I wanted something 1.25"dia but close to .75 wide.. After some searching  I just decided to model them up in my 3D program, this let me do inner and outer white wall inserts.. because showrod. :D

Waiting for shapeways to have a sale, or coupon code so i can get these ordered... they are a bit pricey.. 25ish for the pair...  honestly I should resin cast them... but i only need one set and I have zero knowledge of resin.

Slick-final.jpg.b9fe7ecff49a74ace9fc4e5e239e9a09.jpg

Once that was done... i did whats becoming my usual process of scanning the body to create the chassis design in adobe illustrator.

IMG_E6185.JPG.afb03c1e9a26e06b1f3632ca7e94956b.JPG

Then setup the layers and output to the silhouette scrapbook cutter for production.

IMG_6189.thumb.JPG.d1865827a53aa78dc7e2ee936193d05e.JPG

Stacked and glued... quick mockup... still a lot more assembly to do.

IMG_6190.thumb.JPG.0c4a68ccbe60fd1753f217a3b0e9d6a5.JPGIMG_6191.thumb.JPG.9cb114943851ea60d13562b69f9f22d9.JPG

That's a great way to get a chassis done. On your tires, I don't know if you're familiar with the AMT tires from Round 2 ?  That seems to be the measurements of there 8 tire Racemaster Slicks kit. They offer Wide Whites, one side only, Whit Letter, Narrow White Walls and White Wall with a Red Stripe. They have the "Pie Crust" design if that will help.   

Thanks guys!!  

45 minutes ago, djflyer said:

Excellent work how you lay out the chassis for this.  I know the silhouette cutter has a maximum thickness for cutting - how many layers each for the cross braces and side rails?

I bought a couple 4'x8' sheets of .020 so I use it for everything.. The main rails are 4 layers and the center support is 3 layers.

41 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

VERY nice work on the model.

What gearbox and rear do you have in the Z-car?

Thank you Bill!   Its a tremec t-56 out of the 2004 Pontiac GTO that gave up the LS2.  The rear end is an infinity Q45 Limited Slip, 3:54 ratio...  its huge!! just a little smaller than a ford 9".   I actually just wrestled all of those parts out yesterday, when we built the car we never painted the undercarriage.. so after 8 years of rattle can primer its getting stripped, tossed back on the rotisserie and sprayed with some actual paint. 

IMG_6192.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG