[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
426 pack

Tamiya Volvo 850 questions?

Just wondering how good the kit is, if there is a review and the motor that's in it? Any help would be great thanks.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

No engines in them and from what I have seen and heard, they build up really nice. 

Niether kit has an engine/opening hood.

Both kits are very nicely done....race version is especially nice.

They makefor an interesting side by side comparo... 

Edited by mike 51

They are very Tamiya like quality kits, you wont be disappointed 

Built the BTCC racer when the kit was new....very old picture of it attached. From what I remember, it built up easily with no problems. 

volvo850.JPG

Thanks for the help guys. I have another question now would it be easy to open the hood and converted to have an engine or would it be a lot of work? 

Thanks for the help guys. I have another question now would it be easy to open the hood and converted to have an engine or would it be a lot of work? 

It would be an Oydessy. There's no engine available that even comes close to replicating the Volvo engine, so you'd have to scratch build that whole ball of wax. Beyond that as a curbside there's no engine bay, or even strut towers to work with so you'd be completely scratch building all of that as well.

as a Volvo fan and a former 850 owner I have two of the turbo wagon kits and it's dead on detail wise. As for the motor situation I wouldn't bother the chassis has nice detail but to replicate a t5 motor would be a impressive task. And honestly the kits almost nicer than most real 850s no rear main seal leaks!!!! Hahaha 

Here's most of the parts, one of the cool details is tamiya gives you a sticky sided felt material to do the carpets which is neat 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good luck finding either kit!  I've had my eye out for both for a looong time.  The do occasionally pop up on eBay, but usually for big bucks.  I wish Tamiya would bring either (or both!) back.  Maybe Santa is listening... ;)

I built the racer kit for a friend a few years ago. He owned a Volvo wagon at the time. I used seats from the old AMT '57 Ford for the four buckets and created smooth floor boards and a dash, left hand drive and used the race car instruments. He wanted a black car with tinted windows and it turned out real nice. I wish I had taken pictures of it back then. This is a really great kit that I would do again given the chance.