Model Cars Magazine Forum

Advice needed re Monogram Fox Mustangs

My pleasure mate!  As promised, here's a few more that may be of some use to you.  (Do you reckon those tabs on the roll cage are old RaceCam mounts that are still in place?)  Chucked a couple in looking up at the front part of the roll cage as well.

And yes I can empathise with your predicament - model building always has to fall to the bottom of the priority pile I'm afraid.  Been that way for me for the past 12 years.......sigh.

M

DSC_0601.JPG

DSC_0615.JPG

DSC_0611.JPG

DSC_0610.JPG

DSC_0614.JPG

DSC_0588.JPG

Thanks for the extra pics Matt.

They definitely look like racecam brackets I'll have to add those on too. When I was tossing up between building the AGP version or a Bathurst or ATCC version I realized that the AGP version didn't have a racecam so I was happy that I dodged a bullet by not having to do all that extra wiring and whatnot. I did put a camera from an old Nascar kit in a Johnson Sierra that I built many moons ago but I didn't go to town with the wiring.

p2100038.jpg

Cheers

ShawnS

No worries champ.  Hope they help get your build moving again!

I did see your thread on the Sierra on the ozautobuilders forum, looks great.  I have a kit and the Roodecals (and the resin dash and wheels) ready to go for that one, whenever I get around to it.......  I must have bought those decals 20 years ago now.

I haven't ordered any yet, but I was looking closer at the Mustang decal art on Patto's website and unfortunately there seem to be some inaccuracies.  The 17 for the roof is way too big and out of proportion, and for some reason the "Tube Mills" wording for the sides of the car are in an italics font.  There is also a photo of a built car in the Gallery section that shows the same thing.  Some of the XMO logos look a bit stretched vertically but I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt on that one - if they are applied to a sloping surface they probably look correct when viewed directly.

Hopefully he can alter the art a bit on request (the italics bit should be an easy fix at least), I have also read that he will print some for you if you provide the artwork.  Will have to cross that bridge when it comes I suppose.  Have you ever dealt with him in this regard?

I finally got around to digging out my Mustang decal sheet that I got from Patto's several years ago and after looking at it and comparing it to some reference photos I found some other discrepancies that may just be a reason to put the project on hold even longer. I've noticed that many Patto's decals have incorrect fonts and under/oversized or incorrect/missing sponsor logos and this sheet is no different. I know that he will change the colours of any logos at the customers request but I don't believe that he is willing to do anything else to the artwork. You could always ask him I suppose.

Cheers

ShawnS

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, afx said:

Ford  with Team Penske is bring the Mustang back to Supercars.

Ford returns to Supercars with Mustang

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/mustang-supercars-1027167/

Yep this is great news for both Ford fans and the series as a whole!  The Ford Falcon that is currently in the series has been out of production for around 18 months now (Ford closed down its Australian manufacturing operations in 2016) so there has been a lot of uncertainty around Ford's future involvement in Supercars.  

The Mustang has been on sale here for a couple of years now, so there was a lot of speculation that it may come in to the series as it is a good fit (rear wheel drive, V8 engine, etc) but of course it would need Ford's approval in terms of intellectual property for the body, badging, etc.  I'm sure the fact that Roger Penske is involved in the Supercars series would have helped this process along....

Mustangs have a good heritage in Australian racing, in addition to the 80's Group A version we have been discussing here, they were also raced here extensively from '65-'72 when the rules of the day allowed and are remembered fondly.

Cant' wait to see a Supercars version hit the track, should be a beast.  I'm expecting one to be ready and putting on some demo laps at Bathurst in October.

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2017 at 6:10 AM, Matt MC said:

My pleasure mate!  As promised, here's a few more that may be of some use to you.  (Do you reckon those tabs on the roll cage are old RaceCam mounts that are still in place?)  Chucked a couple in looking up at the front part of the roll cage as well.

And yes I can empathise with your predicament - model building always has to fall to the bottom of the priority pile I'm afraid.  Been that way for me for the past 12 years.......sigh.

M

DSC_0601.JPG

DSC_0615.JPG

DSC_0611.JPG

DSC_0610.JPG

DSC_0614.JPG

DSC_0588.JPG

Wow, that cage has some big, nasty looking welds on it !!

• 5 months later...