[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
Lovefordgalaxie

Another domestic car on vacation in the U.S.

That's pretty cool!   A car that we never got here in the USA, although shortly after this we got your VW Fox.   $37,595 on their website.  

We don't see imports from Brazil which is puzzling to me since there are variations of US cars that would be a big hit here.   And the fact that Brazil isn't all that far away. If you were brave, you could drive it!   

Are there laws either on the Brazil or USA side that makes it difficult?

Mismatch of a Type-3 Squareback and a 412. I like it. Typical of variations VW seemed to like to do in other parts of the world. Cool. 

That's pretty cool!   A car that we never got here in the USA, although shortly after this we got your VW Fox.   $37,595 on their website.  

We don't see imports from Brazil which is puzzling to me since there are variations of US cars that would be a big hit here.   And the fact that Brazil isn't all that far away. If you were brave, you could drive it!   

Are there laws either on the Brazil or USA side that makes it difficult?

Back in 2003 a guy drove a 1949 Ford Custom all the way to Ford Headquarters for the company's 100th anniversary. 

Don't know in the United States, but here in Brasil, there is no impediment to exporting new or used cars. It can get pricey, as one has to take into account the freight, but even with freight, and the eventual import tax in the U.S. 37K is a lot for a car one can buy in the same condition here for a top price of 30k Reais. Today, one Dollar buys 3,26 Reais. So, here in Brasil, you can get a Variant in even nicer condition for 9.200 Dollars. If they sell the Variant for 37K, they will make some cash. 

On old car import law here, any car that is brand new, or over 30 years old can be imported. You won't believe how many '66 Galaxies (all our Galaxies are based on the '66, so the nostalgia, and preference for the car in versions never offered here, like convertibles and wagons), were imported here in the last few years. Here in Florianópolis, there are four '66 Galaxies, all imported from the U.S. within the last 10 years. I use to work on one a '66 500XL convertible with a 390. 

Another guy I know, just imported a Country Squire. 

2017-03-11 Samsung Galaxy 126.jpg

Mismatch of a Type-3 Squareback and a 412. I like it. Typical of variations VW seemed to like to do in other parts of the world. Cool. 

Yes. The front end eventually found it's way into the much loved SP2 and also on the VW Brasilia. 

Early versions of the Variant had the square front end with square headlights, but people didn't like it much.