Model Cars Magazine Forum

So I'm a big fan of trying to give everyone of my builds a them. It may be something I've seen or driven, or inspired by a movie, tv, music...It Don't Matter.

This one will be my first themed truck build. There will be three parts to this build; the cab, the trailer, the load. This thread is part one.

Thanks to Mk11, this old Kenworth kit made it's way into my stash this week, and I bumped it up the queue, turned up CH39 on Satellite radio, and started immediately.

First step; is everything here?

I think so. I guess I'll find out as I move along. The kit showed up with some extra cab parts. I don't want them to be Wasted, so those are up for grabs, check the "wanted" section for details.

Some of this kit has been assembled, and based on the yellowing glue, it was quite a while ago. So right now I'm carefully disassembling some pieces, and sanding/smoothing them.

More progress pics soon.

And let's see how long it takes for someone to guess the theme and inspiration here. I'll be dropping hints. :)

IMG_20171118_1404464.jpg

IMG_20171118_1406185.jpg

IMG_20171118_1415526.jpg

IMG_20171118_1415594.jpg

IMG_20171118_1416031.jpg

IMG_20171118_1416068.jpg

Challenging so far. There were a ton of loose parts, so at first I thought this would be an issue when it came to identifying parts and where they go, and when they go there. Turns out, this would have been an issue even if they were still on the sprues, as almost none of the parts are numbered. So far, the only numbered parts are some of the frame crossmembers.

The instructions are sub-par for sure, so I'm using pics of real engines to help me with final placement of things. 

Right now, the engine is almost completely together, and I've started the frame. Need to make a stop at the local hobby stroe and pick up some tan paint that will be a close approximation of the Cummins colour I believe this should have.

IMG_20171119_1227073.thumb.jpg.493e0439a

IMG_20171119_1226592.thumb.jpg.637db320f

IMG_20171119_1417557.thumb.jpg.1eb1b014d

IMG_20171119_1417095.thumb.jpg.c7cdd0994

IMG_20171119_1456441.thumb.jpg.9a42ec39c

White motors? In google searching the Cummins engines that the box art says this is, they all appear to be tan.

Google searches are pulling up all sorts of colours though!

Peterbilts and KWs were generally white with all engines as IH was red (except with their engine). Cummins engines themselves as found in other applications were painted tan. Depending on what you are building the color can vary. A factory fresh KW would have most likely had a white engine. If you are depicting it later in life, an overhauled engine could have been "Cummins tan" or any color for that matter. I saw an old P.I.E. video and it looked like they painted all of their rebuilds grey.

You have scored a pretty rare kit with this KW, it has the torsion bar suspension . A little tip for you to get it together so it fits and sits right, install the torsion bars to the chassis with a white glue that will hold them in place, then assemble the drive axels with the brake backing plates. One you are done then install the axel mounts on the front drive axel as close to the brake backing plates as possible this will show you how much you will have to remove from the mounting points on the torsion bars, that’s the reason for the temporary white glue mounting. After you test fit and trim remove and reinstall the torsion bars then the front drive axel . Then level the chassis on a flat surface( I use a flat piece of tempered glass on my bench) once the front drive is solid then install the rear axel mounts and file fit and install after the axel has set up slightly install the drive shaft in between this the time to check the alignment of the axels before the glue cures. Engine is white 95% of the time in a Kenworth and Peterbilts as well!hope that helps ! Take your time and dont rush this part. Hopefully I was able to help ! Any othe Kenworth questions you might have ask away. Good luck with the build, Rick.

From a post on another thread regarding the KW and Peterbilt color for engines:

Peterbilt had mostly white engines up to 1984...even the Detroit Diesel's...that's quite funny tho' as the Detroit Diesels are known to leak oil almost everywhere.  

Both Peterbilt and Kenworth had white engines, Kenworth had them until 1975 and Peterbilt until 1984 as I said...but I have seen white engines on pictures of trucks newer than that and engine factory colors on trucks older than that, so there are exceptions to the rule.
Caterpillar was appearently the last manufacturer to deliver white engines to Peterbilt.

On 11/24/2017 at 3:52 PM, PettyKW43 said:

You have scored a pretty rare kit with this KW, it has the torsion bar suspension . A little tip for you to get it together so it fits and sits right, install the torsion bars to the chassis with a white glue that will hold them in place, then assemble the drive axels with the brake backing plates. One you are done then install the axel mounts on the front drive axel as close to the brake backing plates as possible this will show you how much you will have to remove from the mounting points on the torsion bars, that’s the reason for the temporary white glue mounting. After you test fit and trim remove and reinstall the torsion bars then the front drive axel . Then level the chassis on a flat surface( I use a flat piece of tempered glass on my bench) once the front drive is solid then install the rear axel mounts and file fit and install after the axel has set up slightly install the drive shaft in between this the time to check the alignment of the axels before the glue cures. Engine is white 95% of the time in a Kenworth and Peterbilts as well!hope that helps ! Take your time and dont rush this part. Hopefully I was able to help ! Any othe Kenworth questions you might have ask away. Good luck with the build, Rick.

Thanks for the tip! Will pay attention when I get to this stage.

On 11/24/2017 at 3:57 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

From a post on another thread regarding the KW and Peterbilt color for engines:

Peterbilt had mostly white engines up to 1984...even the Detroit Diesel's...that's quite funny tho' as the Detroit Diesels are known to leak oil almost everywhere.  

Both Peterbilt and Kenworth had white engines, Kenworth had them until 1975 and Peterbilt until 1984 as I said...but I have seen white engines on pictures of trucks newer than that and engine factory colors on trucks older than that, so there are exceptions to the rule.
Caterpillar was appearently the last manufacturer to deliver white engines to Peterbilt.

Engine has been painted white. Looks odd, but I think after adding some details and trying my hand at some weathering, should look okay.

:)

I think the engine color quote is from one of my earlier posts, but it's true, Kenworth and Peterbilt had the engines they used painted white, not to easier see oil leaks but to "give distinctive identification to the finest engines in the finest trucks" as an old Peterbilt add said.

• 2 weeks later...

Going slow! Got a little more done last night. Not enjoying this kit very much, as fit and quality isn't quite up to par with some of the modern stuff. Still, I'm focused, and keeping my eyes on the end result!

Frame is mostly done. It is quite warped, but the more stuff I attach to it, the straighter it's getting. I'm not concerned about this yet. Still needs a few more details added, then some cleanup, then paint. Weather has been unseasonably warm (20 degrees warmer that usual!), so I'll still be able to get into the garage to do some spraying this weekend.

:)

IMG_20171212_2045047.jpg

IMG_20171212_2045083.jpg

IMG_20171212_2045125.jpg

IMG_20171212_2045199.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly but surely. Front suspension is pretty much done. Next up, the dreaded, yet strangely desired torsion bar rear suspension.

IMG_20171222_1920466.jpg.7721d33847968886bb204ed1a7b20f39.jpg

Once the frame, suspension, and other components are done, I'll be spraying it black. That might be a challenge though, as it's currently -15, and my garage is insulated but not heated, so it's too cold to spray. Will have to coordinate with my dad, who has a heated garage and a spray booth.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting the torsion bar set up done and pictured.

It was tough, because the instructions suck, there were no part numbers on the trees, and I couldn;t find any pics of the real setup to see if I was doing this correctly!

Having said all that, it's all on, it looks right, and everything sits level and as square as it can be with the warped frame. The big test will be once I get the wheels on and see if they all touch the ground at the same time!

Will be doing some finishing filling, sanding, and cleanup over the next week or so.

It's getting to the point that it needs to warm up outside so I can start spraying some colour.

I started getting some paint on interior pieces last night. No pics of that yet.

IMG_20180115_2007277.jpg

IMG_20180115_2007369.jpg