Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Cuda Late Model

I'm really liking this 'Cuda build!!!  Great save and there were some in short track racing.  I'm looking forward to following this build and here's a pic of Roger Dolan of Lisbon, Iowa who was a Winston Racing Series champ in his day.

image.jpeg

Edited by geewhiz
Left a word out.

• 2 weeks later...

The block is the 426 from the Revell Cuda.  Still need to relocate the distributor to the rear and relocate the water outlet.  The 340 heads come from a Revellogram Dodge Challenger.  The air cleaner from a NASCAR Monte Carlo.

DSCN5031

I really like your engine buildup and the way the chassis is coming together.  It's going to be a cool late model when it's finished, JC!!!  Carry on!!!????????

• 2 weeks later...

In the days of the Chrysler Kit cars there were a few Challengers and' 'Cudas that were built, in fact Stock Car Racing Magazine had an article about them and they showed a Challenger that was being tested by Pete Hamilton on the asphalt and some newcomer named Dale Earnhardt on the dirt, that Earnhardt kid was kinda wild though and ended up wrinkling up the right front fender. It's been in my plans to make a model resembling that car, and now with the re-release of the Soapy Sales funny car kit it again gives me a body to use on one of the Chrysler Kit car models that are currently in production.

Edited by horsepower

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2017 at 2:59 AM, horsepower said:

In the days of the Chrysler Kit cars there were a few Challengers and' 'Cudas that were built, in fact Stock Car Racing Magazine had an article about them and they showed a Challenger that was being tested by Pete Hamilton on the asphalt and some newcomer named Dale Earnhardt on the dirt, that Earnhardt kid was kinda wild though and ended up wrinkling up the right front fender. It's been in my plans to make a model resembling that car, and now with the re-release of the Soapy Sales funny car kit it again gives me a body to use on one of the Chrysler Kit car models that are currently in production.

I posted this in AFX's thread about this build in the Motorsports Modelling forum. But many of you guys don't read that, so...

I suggest that if you build a Chrysler Kit Car, you replace the inaccurate Kit Car small block engine (white) with one from the AMT '71 Duster (gray). The Duster engine is accurate to scale to the Mopar small block in my Dodge Durango. Headers are pretty nice though.

KIMG0762_KitCarDartEngine-white-vs-AMT71Duster340-gray_800x600.jpg.760832ef8a78f698720002594d2216ae.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 11/20/2017 at 6:46 PM, Steamboat said:

You'll get some extra horsepower if you use the AMT Duster Street Machine small block pictured.  It has 5-1/2 cylinders per bank, as evidenced by the 11 rocker arms.  Either that or 3 cylinders with 3 valves and one cylinder with 2. You have to wonder what they were thinking in China.small_blocks.thumb.png.c9651b877dfa4e3ae

The engine in the background is the 340 from the Monogram T/A Challenger, but it's 1:24 scale.

I was just surfing around tonight looking for Cuda models and I came across this thread.  I know I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to tell you Steamboat that this comment had me rolling! I use to have that AMT engine in my parts stash but never notice the valve train debacle.  Thank you for the laughs.

Edited by ybsluos
Typo