Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth W-925 OLD vs NEW comments

GREETINGS fellow builders,

Just picked up the W-925 re-issue, and thought I would share some comments with you, so here we go.

BOX ART- Still just about the same, some slight wording on box contents has been changed, OLD first issue box panel that showed the chassis and engine detail has now been changed on the NEW box to show other KW kits.

PART SPRUES- OLD kits always had lots of parts loose in bag, as the NEW kit now has some what of a better sprue with parts attached so none get lost to the carpet or tile monster.

CHROME- With the OLD kits you never knew if you were going to get dull ,weak or shiny chrome, with the NEW kit comes very bright plated chrome in plastic bags with a tissue paper protector.

INSTRUCTIONS- The NEW kit instructions now have a paint guide on certain parts, as where the OLD ones did not show this.

DECALS- In the OLD kits, I always found the decals to be light colored and too transparent and with the NEW kit they are very nice solid color decals with cab and sleeper stripes.

TIRES- The OLD kits have FIRESTONE 10-20 tires, however these have been replaced in the NEW kits with skinny GOODYEAR 10-20 HI-MILER tires, may I suggest that we stuff these tires with something too give them fullness, and you don't have to cut out the center plug anymore.

So, those are a few comments I wanted to share with all of you builders ........and ROUND2, now that we have this one, how about the MOVIN ON KW or even better yet, another re-tool for the KW ALASKAN HAULER ?????? ......THANKS

front cab mounts were always tricky on those, as was the front engine mount,could never understand why it was chromed?,never liked how the front bumper stuck out from the edge of the fenders,Decals were always hit and miss,sometimes they worked and other tmes they just went to little pieces.But i am glad it came back,it was a high dollar kit on ebay,if you were lucky enough to find one.Next up i want the original issue of the IH transtar cabover,that is one of my favorites. Harvey