Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint recoat advise

Hi,

I've done my top coat were I started 2 mist coats followed by 1-2 wet coats of decanted Tamiya pure white lacquer.

A week has gone by and I'm finding myself needing to do a few more coats.

Should I do as if starting from the beginning were I apply 2 mist coats followed by a wet coat?

No as I would give it a good coat and hope that it is finished. I paint using the rule of using the least amount of paint necessary to do the job, therefore not getting paint build up on moldings, emblems, scripts, badges, marker lights, etc. That goes for primer, color, and clear coats.

Hi,

So 1 more or so final wet coats?

The paint is pretty thin by the way.  And I've thinned it a bit more to slow down the drying.

Edited by aurfalien

If you want. You could purchase a 3M 3-5000 polishing pad. Buff the paint to a dull shine(but don’t burn through). Then lay on 1-2 more wetcoats. Should have a solid shine  with minimal orange peel. 

Hi,

Oooooh nice, thank you!  I actually have some Micromesh and will use there 6000 on this bad boy, its for my Chappy.

Edited by aurfalien

Hi,

Oooooh nice, thank you!  I actually have some Micromesh and will use there 6000 on this bad boy, its for my Chappy.

For sure. Just make sure you wash the body after sanding. Since you have an airbrush, use some compressed air to blow off water and dust. I usually use that and a lightly damp paper towel to remove any debree left over.

Are you clear coating this as well?

Edited by DiscoRover007

For sure. Just make sure you wash the body after sanding. Since you have an airbrush, use some compressed air to blow off water and dust. I usually use that and a lightly damp paper towel to remove any debree left over.

Are you clear coating this as well?

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, I need em!

Unsure if I should do a clear on it.  I've got this Gunze gloss clear lacquer and it's very shiny.  Then there is Future which won't harm decals but I heard it yellows over time.