Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Merc... or maybe something in a early 50's Buick

That would be true sir... I see your point.

:D  As far as I know, all that's been offered in reasonably affordable plastic in 1/8 is the Big T and '32 Ford kits by Revell, their several years of Corvettes, a Jag E, and a Firebird. Lindberg has several variations on a T bucket and a rail dragster. Pocher has some Ferrari and Porsche subjects for a lot of money, in 1/8, and there's a company called Wespe that has some interesting 1/8 subjects in resin kits.

To find a largish-scale early '50s American car, you're most likely going to have to start with a die-cast...but I think 1/18 or 1/16 or 1/12 will be as large as you'll get there...and 1/12 is getting pricey.

Several fellas on this board have built really knockout models from ho-hum die-casts, and they can often be picked up relatively cheap with a little damage.

To find a largish-scale early '50s American car, you're most likely going to have to start with a die-cast...but I think 1/18 or 1/16 or 1/12 will be as large as you'll get there...and 1/12 is getting pricey.

Several fellas on this board have built really knockout models from ho-hum die-casts, and they can often be picked up relatively cheap with a little damage.

There have been some really big (1/6?) scale R/C cars.  A 40ish Willys and a 50ish Jesse James Chevy.  But, yeah, pickins are kinda slim in those scales.

Well... and this is thinkin' "way" outside the box - what about 3D printing, I've heard they can do amazing things with that. {I'm sure it wouldn't be none to cheap neither}

100% possible, but even if you already had the STL files needed to run a print, just the body alone in 1/8 scale would be at least several hundred dollars. All the internal bits would really add up too.

There's always the old tried-and true method of carving something out of clay. The big in-progress model shown is 1/10.

DSCN9247.jpg