Model Cars Magazine Forum

Martin Truex- NASCAR Champion

Watched the race yesterday and was so happy to see Martin Truex win his first NASCAR championship as he has worked hard to be as successful as he is. Their team is not like Joe Gibbs, Hendrick, Penske and being based in Denver certainly presents some challenges as well but they took the underdog role and made it work for them. Not since Alan Kulwicki won back in the '90s have I been so pleased to see a team win.

You do realize that Furniture Row has a technical alliance with JGR?

...And it was a big part of their win, but the 78 team was a league ahead of everyone this year.

To get to the Championship level in such a short time frame is incredible - help from JGR or not.

Pretty happy they won - especially by beating the 18 - but I was a little disappointed to not hear anyone throw some thanks out to Kurt Busch. His brief stay with them was the beginning of them going from "the little team from Denver" to Nascar Champion.

...And it was a big part of their win, but the 78 team was a league ahead of everyone this year.

To get to the Championship level in such a short time frame is incredible - help from JGR or not.

Pretty happy they won - especially by beating the 18 - but I was a little disappointed to not hear anyone throw some thanks out to Kurt Busch. His brief stay with them was the beginning of them going from "the little team from Denver" to Nascar Champion.

I agree 100%  

I am glad he won also. It is good for the sport, whether they can figure it out or not. 

Nope, based here in Charlotte NC I am pretty much sheltered from the inner workings of NASCAR and which teams are aligned, thanks for pointing that out.:rolleyes:

Most teams have alliances based the manufacturer (Chevy/Ford/Toyota) with help from the factories in many areas.The thing that sets the Toyota teams apart is the fact that their engines are supplied by TRD whereas the Chevy and Ford teams have different engine builders. 

As others have stated, it's good to see Martin win, he's worked hard and the team has worked harder to run with the big dollar teams.

Nope, based here in Charlotte NC I am pretty much sheltered from the inner workings of NASCAR and which teams are aligned, thanks for pointing that out.:rolleyes:

Most teams have alliances based the manufacturer (Chevy/Ford/Toyota) with help from the factories in many areas.The thing that sets the Toyota teams apart is the fact that their engines are supplied by TRD whereas the Chevy and Ford teams have different engine builders. 

As others have stated, it's good to see Martin win, he's worked hard and the team has worked harder to run with the big dollar teams.

Right, Toyota is the only manufacture that supplies NASCAR teams with engines. There is only one engine builder outside of TRD that builds for Toyota and that is Triad Engines, and they provide all the engines for the not factory supported Toyota teams that run in the three top series.

Roush-Yates is the only supplier of Ford Engines, and then you have Hendrick and ECR as the top two Chevy engine builders.

I am not taking anything away from Martin and the FRR team, but they get a lot of support from JGR, at one point it was whole race cars,  and lets forget they even get their pit crews from JGR.  Lets make no mistake, with out all that help, they would not be the 2017 Champ.

With all that said,  I am very happy for Martin the FRR team, they did a hell of job and was the best team for 2017, they earned the Monster Energy Cup Championship.

Edited by martinfan5

Right, Toyota is the only manufacture that supplies NASCAR teams with engines. There is only one engine builder outside of TRD that builds for Toyota and that is Triad Engines, and they provide all the engines for the not factory supported Toyota teams that run in the three top series.

Roush-Yates is the only supplier of Ford Engines, and then you have Hendrick and ECR as the top two Chevy engine builders.

I am not taking anything away from Martin and the FRR team, but they get a lot of support from JGR, at one point it was whole race cars,  and lets forget they even get their pit crews from JGR.  Lets make no mistake, with out all that help, they would not be the 2017 Champ.

With all that said,  I am very happy for Martin the FRR team, they did a hell of job and was the best team for 2017, they earned the Monster Energy Cup Championship.

Jonathan,

Most teams get support from others, usually in the form of technical information, equipment and as you pointed out, sometimes they get people too. 

The point I was trying to make is that while there is support and resources, someone still has to drive the car and Martin Truex proved that he can drive and he earned his championship. I had the opportunity to meet him and talk with him back in his Michael Waltrip Racing days and I have to say he is one of the most down to earth guys and not ego driven like some of his peers.

I think lost in the shuffle of all of the Dale Earnhardt retirement tributes yesterday was the fact that Matt Kenseth also "retired" and very little was mentioned of him or his contributions to the sport.

That is why, I said and I quote "I am not taking anything away from Martin",  meaning, he still had to do his part and drive the race car , and go out and win those races. 

Yes, it was sad to see Matt drive off into the sunset of what was most likely his last NASCAR race.

I too am happy with the 78 as champ.  I think NASCAR dodged a bullet yesterday with their goofy "Chase" format.  If anyone other than Truex had won the title yesterday it would have been a travesty.  Time to dump the Chase and go with the team that runs the best throughout the season.

Very sad about MK.  At 44 he was the oldest one out there, dumped because they can get a young gun to run for 1/2 the salary.  Carl Edwards got out just in time.

Very sad about MK.  At 44 he was the oldest one out there, dumped because they can get a young gun to run for 1/2 the salary.  Carl Edwards got out just in time.

It's sad..all the guys of my generation are aging out... I'm going to miss them... a lot of them I've been following for 20+ years. 

Although I don't really follow NASCAR anymore.   I'm happy for him and proud he has a Canadian crew chief.

Cole Pearn was congratulated in Victory Lane by Dave Whitlock, three time Cascar Champion. They used to race against each other in the Cascar series.

For 6 years I painted Whit's cars. A few times I sanded off some orange paint from Pearn's #20 Kubota car. ;)

whit and pearn.jpg

Chassis and body by JGR, engines by TRD (same as Gibbs) pit crew and tech team provided by JGR.....but yes.....very independent.:lol:

Sorry I saw this coming after Toyota did little in the first part of the season. Then made noise like they would leave NASCAR Cup.....got a Toyota only aero change at Talledega.....started winning. Mark my word....2019 we get a new make in Cup (MB)) and Toyota does like Dodge did years ago.....then leave. 

After working in NASCAR for over 20 years it is ENTERTAINMENT not a sport.....know that and enjoy what it is. Just sayin....

Yes, it was sad to see Matt drive off into the sunset of what was most likely his last NASCAR race.

Matt made his own bed....now he has to face it. I was a MK fan at one time. When he changed the entire 'Chase' race by acting like a torpedo at Martinsville and killing Lagano's chances and almost his life...I stopped pulling.  It was a move beneath a man of his talent. (I was there BTW in turn 2) Making this choice Matt became a poison pill as such. A good friend worked for Dollar General at the time and they got more communication about what Matt did than any 10 things before. People swore off DG and they felt it.....word got around.....between his age and the fear he might do it again sponsors didn't want him. 

I will admit he has said it was a dumb thing and I think he has taken ownership of the incident......but to late now.   

Matt made his own bed....now he has to face it. I was a MK fan at one time. When he changed the entire 'Chase' race by acting like a torpedo at Martinsville and killing Lagano's chances and almost his life...I stopped pulling.  It was a move beneath a man of his talent. (I was there BTW in turn 2) Making this choice Matt became a poison pill as such. A good friend worked for Dollar General at the time and they got more communication about what Matt did than any 10 things before. People swore off DG and they felt it.....word got around.....between his age and the fear he might do it again sponsors didn't want him. 

I will admit he has said it was a dumb thing and I think he has taken ownership of the incident......but to late now.   

Most of the drivers have made enough money and will be just fine if they invested it right.Making decisions in the heat of the moment is part of racing and admitting your mistakes is not something they all do, so props to Matt if he did own it.

In this PC world, drivers have to be so careful as to not upset sponsors but yet stand up for their perceived "wrongs" from other drivers.

Nope, that has nothing to do with it, he had several offers for 2018 , but he wanted $ 8 million a year , and would not come down on that , so that is why he is out of a ride.

Edited by martinfan5

Nope, that has nothing to do with it, he had several offers for 2018 , but he wanted $ 8 million a year , and would not come down on that , so that is why he is out of a ride.

His on track record, or lack of it this year, DOES have everything to do with it....and he is 'OLD'......Take Matt, add Truex wins, and DE Jr popularity and you get much more than $8M.....IMHO only....... 

His on track record, or lack of it this year, DOES have everything to do with it....and he is 'OLD'......Take Matt, add Truex wins, and DE Jr popularity and you get much more than $8M.....IMHO only....... 

I am telling you for a FACT he had offers to drive for 2018 but would not accept anything less than $ 8 million per year ,  that was his asking price, and that is why he is not set to be driving a race car for 2018.

It has zero to do with the on track incidents that took place in 2015

It has everything to do with money, this is not your old NASCAR.

Edited by martinfan5

I know you want to believe that it was on track , and I can tell you dont want to believe me, so here, read it for yourself,  this person works inside the NASCAR community, doing what, I dont know, but has worked for drivers such as Kurt Busch in the past,  he is a inside source for us on a racing forum the guy is legit.

Matt was considered for at least two rides that I know of for a fact, and a third that I heard of from a source (so I consider it a rumor). There was enough investigation done for both that I know of to conclude they could not afford him. I don't blame Matt for wanting a full Cup schedule to be worth his time. He's got enough money & he's not getting any younger.

He's been asking teams for $8m. So yeah, I hope he's wearing sunglasses.

You can read it for yourself here, the posters name is Allenbaba,enjoy.
Edited by martinfan5

• Xingu locked this topic