[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
mikemodeler

Martin Truex- NASCAR Champion

I agree 100%it's a money issue.........

But why is it a money issue???? Sponsors are willing to put up enough money for the right driver!!!!!

But I insist that no sponsor was willing to fund Matt for various reasons, record and age among them. 

I have no ill will toward Matt.....that's long gone. But I still have lots of contacts in NASCAR and that's the going story from MY contacts.

To each his own!!! Thanks

Edited by Dave Van

I agree 100%it's a money issue.........

But why is it a money issue???? Sponsors are willing to put up enough money for the right driver!!!!!

But I insist that no sponsor was willing to fund Matt for various reasons, record and age among them. 

I have no ill will toward Matt.....that's long gone. But I still have lots of contacts in NASCAR and that's the going story from MY contacts.

To each his own!!! Thanks

It is a money issue because the teams that wanted Matt, those teams and sponsors could not afford to pay him 8millon a year.  Its pretty simple.

I am not disagreeing with you that there could of been other reason like you are saying , but what is being said by our insider , its a clear case of the teams not being able to afford what Matt wants to be paid and he doesnt want to take a pay cut to keep driving.  

Edited by martinfan5

This the break down as to what happened at JGR and why Matt is out.

Plan was for EJ to replace Kenseth likely this season (as is happening), and Suarez to take over the 77 after spending this past season in Xfinity again. He'd be in the 77 until Bell was ready to take it over in 2019 or 2020 (geez...wasn't it just the year 2000??), moving Suarez over to knock out either Denny or Carl. Rinse, repeat. Carl retiring basically put that plan through the shredder and left a really big developmental gap (reason for the 77) because the next guy up isn't even close to ready (unlike EJ and Suarez, who were at least "close" to ready).

Maybe, maybe not. (First of all...a lot of things you hear in press conferences & reporter blurbs are a ruse, but I digress). I think at the time Coach made his statment, EJ in the 77 and status quo at Gibbs for another season (next season) was definitely a possibility. Dollar General leaving made it impossible for them to do anything other than what's happening now. They simply couldn't afford another season with Matt.

EDIT TO ADD: they really and truly thought as recent as this past Spring they would replace DG $$. They didn't.

Edited by martinfan5

Chase Elliott did not have a single win.....Matt had one so in this 'Chase' world he had a better season. Think HMS had issues getting sponsorship together for Chase and his HUGE salary???  Chase is at HMS because of the money.......otherwise he'd been in the #21 this year. So the money is out there......for the right young driver. (add fan support and he is a sponsor dream) that all contributes to the current state of NASCAR.

As the OP of this topic, it was intended to congratulate Martin Truex Jr. on his winning the championship and not turn it into a pissing match over who knows more about why Matt Kenseth is out of a ride this year.

If you want to continue discussing the state of NASCAR, sponsorship deals, how much drivers get paid and who knows more or has "inside" guys feeding them information, start another thread please.

Chase Elliott did not have a single win.....Matt had one so in this 'Chase' world he had a better season. Think HMS had issues getting sponsorship together for Chase and his HUGE salary???  Chase is at HMS because of the money.......otherwise he'd been in the #21 this year. So the money is out there......for the right young driver. (add fan support and he is a sponsor dream) that all contributes to the current state of NASCAR.

How in the BLEEP can you say Matt Kenseth had a better season that Chase Elliott just because Matt had a win and Chase didn't?? Did you forget Matt's only win this season came AFTER the "chase playoff" had begun and was down to the final race of the round of 8 to determine the Championship 4?? The only thing in the "Chase" world Matt Kenseth's win had ANY EFFECT on was preventing Chase Elliott making the Championship 4, so at least in the REAL world where it comes down to POINTS EARNED DURING THE SEASON, just the plain and simple FACT Chase Elliott WAS STILL IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP CHASE and Matt Kenseth WAS OUT OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP CHASE AFTER THE ROUND OF 12 is PROOF CHASE ELLIOTT HAD A BETTER SEASON, WIN OR NOT!!!! 

Also, regardless of the "chase" or not, points are the determining FACT of the season, and since Chase Elliott finished the season 5th in points and Matt Kenseth finished 7th in points so it's pretty obvious to me who had a better season.