Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 NOVA TRUMPETER

randyc

With all the talk of the new Nova kits, I thought I'd get my Trumpeter kit out.   I'd painted and started this when it first came out.  So in about 4 hours, I got to this point.  I see how the roofline is too straight.  And there are LOTS of other weird issues.  How about that gap at top of firewall?  And I got it to this point, all glued together.   Did some sanding/filing on bottom and ended up with all the dust on the inside windows and no way to clean them off now.  Arghhh.   

This isn't going to be a great build. Has some issues of my own making, but I'm not going to repaint at this point.  

Also, I lost the rear bumper since I re-opened the box.  It is gone - it was in there when I openend the box.  It may have accidentally fallen into the trash can, then I took the trash off.  Anyone have an extra they'd sell cheap or trade?  

The chrome on these Trumpeters is heavy duty.  Not vacuum plated apparently, but real multi-stage plating.  File on it and you'll see.  

I also tried to post this Sunday from my phone and can't find it now - so if you see it, let me know and we can get one of the posts deleted.  

IMG_20171119_101359557.jpg

IMG_20171119_101305364_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171119_101335189_HDR.jpg

That doesn't look bad at all. Drive on!

I have one of these kits, except the convertible. Since I don't care for convertibles, I've been trying to figure out how to graft a Rat Packer top on. There seems to be several ways to do it, none particularly easy. Which is why mine is still in the box. Looking forward to seeing yours finished! B)

Thanks.  I just put the grille on with the hood.  The middle of the hood dips down over the grille bars.  Have been gently persuading it back up correct.  The hood edge should be parallel to the grille bars.  Not sure if I warped it when I glued in the support or what.  But check this before you get too far along.  As I am now.  

15113630142191531455631.jpg

Here's a tip on the taillights.  Pass a file or sanding stick around the outside edges before you cut it from the sprue.  Not much, couple passes.  Much easier than after it's cut loose.  You'll still have to clean up the cut nub a little.  Stick it to a piece of tape so if it does get loose, you might see the tape.  

I've seen pictures of these Novas built, and they all have that issue with the hood molding and grille alignment. We'll see if Moebius does better - AMT just molded it to the grille.

So how did you manage to get those inner black rings to stay on the wheels (between the wheelcovers and the whitewalls)? They keep popping off the rims on the set I have.

Here's a tip on the taillights.  Pass a file or sanding stick around the outside edges before you cut it from the sprue.  Not much, couple passes.  Much easier than after it's cut loose.  You'll still have to clean up the cut nub a little.  Stick it to a piece of tape so if it does get loose, you might see the tape.  

I like your tape idea. being some what Ham Fisted anyway this might save me some time on my hands and knees with a flash light cussing for what seems like hours.

Randy, I Iike where you're going with this!

One detail that you've nailed is the ride height! EVERY one of these I've seen either sits too high, or the frame is hanging below the rockers which is a major turn off for me. Yeah, as per normal one of the first things I noticed on the body when I first got it is the too flat (actually too horizontal) upper window line. I had lost interest in the kit I had, and sold it on eBay years ago.

I still have the convertible, so following your build will give me some insight into what other foibles may come your way while you build this. One of the things that drove me nuts each time I took the convertible body out of the box is the WAY too high windshield frame! I got so tired of seeing it like that I cut it down to the proper height and shape, and it's on my "someday" projects to build. Interesting how they got the windshield height correct on the hardtop, but were so woefully off on the convertible's frame.

HOPEFULLY Moebius will fix the flat upper window line too on their upcoming '64. It's one of those "signature" items I bring up from time to time when it comes to rooflines from certain carmakers and eras. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

I've seen pictures of these Novas built, and they all have that issue with the hood molding and grille alignment. We'll see if Moebius does better - AMT just molded it to the grille.

So how did you manage to get those inner black rings to stay on the wheels (between the wheelcovers and the whitewalls)? They keep popping off the rims on the set I have.

I put a tiny bit of CA glue in the white.  Ring was last part I put in.  Didn't look at instructions, so not sure what order they use.  The black rings stretched in and seemed pretty secure.  I use a scribe/dental pick to help too.  We'll see how long they stay.  Finished it today.  No pics yet, but already lost one of the photo etched pieces and mangled the Chevrolet script on the trunk when I was cleaning it up.  Fixed the trunk script but the other one is lost forever probably.  

I was able to persuade the hood center up a little.  It's better.  Shame of the whole thing is that this kit could have been a killer kit.  But the little weird things end up making it kinda bad.  I guess all the trumpeter kits are that way though.

Edited by randyc

I like your tape idea. being some what Ham Fisted anyway this might save me some time on my hands and knees with a flash light cussing for what seems like hours.

I'm very ham fisted so I have to do all I can.  Imagine having Vienna sausages for fingers... that how I feel most of the time.  Lol

Randy, I Iike where you're going with this!

One detail that you've nailed is the ride height! EVERY one of these I've seen either sits too high, or the frame is hanging below the rockers which is a major turn off for me. Yeah, as per normal one of the first things I noticed on the body when I first got it is the too flat (actually too horizontal) upper window line. I had lost interest in the kit I had, and sold it on eBay years ago.

I still have the convertible, so following your build will give me some insight into what other foibles may come your way while you build this. One of the things that drove me nuts each time I took the convertible body out of the box is the WAY too high windshield frame! I got so tired of seeing it like that I cut it down to the proper height and shape, and it's on my "someday" projects to build. Interesting how they got the windshield height correct on the hardtop, but were so woefully off on the convertible's frame.

HOPEFULLY Moebius will fix the flat upper window line too on their upcoming '64. It's one of those "signature" items I bring up from time to time when it comes to rooflines from certain carmakers and eras. ;)

wow.  I'm honored to have you looking at my work.☺  There are several folks here that are inspiring me to build the best I can and to find and capture the details that make it look real.

As for the frame, I ended up disassembling this one somewhat, after I had it together by the instructions.  I ended up taking the sub frame rails back off and making them fit better to the bottoms of the inner fenders once I had the floor pan in place properly.  Took some filing to get a better fit there. From the box, the frame was way off from the bottom of the body at the front bumper.  The joint at the sub frame is the problem.  

And I had to work the top of the dash some.  A little filing there as well.  Corners I think it was.  I remember your post on that subject and was trying to get it to sit right.  I have noticed that a lot over the years myself. 

I wish I wouldn't have lost the bumper.  And several other issues from my skill level when I started this one.  So it's  okay, but not one of my better efforts.  I salvaged what I could and it is cute little car.  One of my grandmother's little old lady friends had a 4 dr version in black/red and that was the inspiration.  I hate black cars now.  They just don't show up good up in my display. 

Thanks to all the feedback on this one.  I'll try to get some finished pics tomorrow maybe.