Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 ford starliner update pics of exhaust and motor.

426 pack

Got this model at garage sale 3 years ago and just decided to bring it out.

It is lowered with parts box rims, a 2010 ford mustang GT 4.6L engine with parts box intake, it will have homemade exhaust and suspension, I don't know what colour I will do it yet although I'm leaning towards black,

comments welcome. 

let me know what you think so far.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by 426 pack

These are a very sleek looking cars and this is a great kit. You mentioned Black as a color consideration. When I was in high school one of my friends older brother bought a 1 year old '60 Ford Starliner in black. The interior was Yellow with black and yellow cloth inserts, very striking. The area that runs just above the side windows and surrounded in chrome with the "Stars" in the middle was a yellow/gold color. If I ever get to this kit in my stash that is the way I'm going to build it. That car really stood out where ever he went. Just a thought on the color but which ever way you go think about using this area as a place for an accent color on your color selection.  

Hey, Cale.... since you're going with a modern motor, are there any modern wheels that you like? Something more Resto-mod would make for a nice theme!

I haven't thought about using modern wheels as it's just not something I am a big fan of. I also only have 3 pairs of modern wheels in my collection. 

But just for fun here are some mockup pics with all 3.

and the blue car is my inspiration for the build I will just put my own spin on it without the crazy paint. If anyone has any info on it that would be great as I want to know what the suspension looks like thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mock-ups look pretty cool! :D

The car you have pictured is called "May Cause Dangerous"......... built by Gambino Customs for Kirk Jones. I've looked all over and can't find pics of anything other than the exterior and interior, no chassis pics.......

looking forward to progress..........!

I haven't thought about using modern wheels as it's just not something I am a big fan of. I also only have 3 pairs of modern wheels in my collection. 

But just for fun here are some mockup pics with all 3.

and the blue car is my inspiration for the build I will just put my own spin on it without the crazy paint. If anyone has any info on it that would be great as I want to know what the suspension looks like thanks.

image.jpg

I would normally prefer the chrome reverse myself,  but given the modern motor,  the second set looks like a good fit

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Got some suspention work done on it so now it sits about 3mm lower. Next step is exhaust and I am thinking of running cutouts to lake pipes with an exhaust system with mufflers hidden underneath. Let me know what you think.

image.jpg

Edited by 426 pack

Got some suspention work done on it so now it sits about 3mm lower. Next step is exhaust and I am thinking of running cutouts to lake pipes with an exhaust system with mufflers hidden underneath. Let me know what you think.

image.jpg

Yes yes yes, these wheels, and I am not a fan of lake pipes but this looks good. 

The Chrome Revers wheels and the Lake Pipes would kind of go together depending on the era your trying to represent. I like the chrome  wheels you have selected and have used this same wheel set and tires on a couple of builds. The only thing that I didn't like was the lack of detail in and around the lug nut area of the wheel. The area is flat and that's just not how they are on a real wheel. Have you considered either the chrome spiders to cover the lug nut area or even a small hub cap ? This kit also has some of the best looking '60 Ford small hub caps I have seen for a long time. Back in the day when we could only afford a couple of cans of Krylon to dress up our wheels we would use the small hub cap or a baby moon cap to cover the lug nuts. The '60 Ford hub cap looked the best. Later when I could afford chrome reverse rims I would still use the '60 Ford cap since it was the best looking to me. Are you going to try a paint treatment like the blue/white show car in the photo ??  

Thanks for the coments everyone. I should have an update in the next couple hours as I am currently working on the exhaust. 

Expo as for hubcaps the stock ones don't look to bad but I'm not shure yet on what I'm going to do. Pic is of the rims with and without  

I have decided to run an auto trans from the revell 32 ford 5 window 2in1 302 engine. And ignore the colours on the engine as it was like that before I started this project and it will be re-painted.    

Comments welcome.   

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by 426 pack

I'm digging the look of this! I prefer traditional cars so I like where you're headed. Not so sold on the 4.6L but it'll get better fuel economy. Lol

when I stated this build I wanted something that looked like a older custom but wit good fuel economy and reliable so it could be driven anywhere. With the 4.6 I just wanted a good motor that would have lots of parts available in the real world and it was the best motor I had in my parts box.

I noticed how you cut the inner fenders. Was this for the revamped suspension or did you channel the body on the frame to get it lower ? I like the rear 4-Link suspension.  

I had to cut out the inner fenders because I modified the suspension a little and flipped the spindles. I didn't channel the body as it would be to much modifying in the interior. The 4 link is something I built about 2 years ago and it still needs some work and I need to build rear inner fenders.

Here are a cuple pics of the exhaust and engine bay.

they still need a lot more detailing and and if anyone has any pics of how throttle linkage and fule lines would be with the intake setup that I'm running that would be very helpfull.

what is the thing on the raidiator that I have painted silver and do you think I should leave it or get rid of it? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

These cars look really sharp in black! I'm just wondering..... have you ever tried Bare Metal Foil? The chrome pens are kinda expensive, I like to save mine for interior trim like handles and such. If you have steady enough hands to do the chrome down the fins, then foiling will be a breeze!  B)

When I was young, we had a '60 Fairlane 500..... They don't have the bubble top that these cars have, more of a sedan roof........

These cars look really sharp in black! I'm just wondering..... have you ever tried Bare Metal Foil? The chrome pens are kinda expensive, I like to save mine for interior trim like handles and such. If you have steady enough hands to do the chrome down the fins, then foiling will be a breeze!  B)

When I was young, we had a '60 Fairlane 500..... They don't have the bubble top that these cars have, more of a sedan roof........

I have never tried bare metal foil my local hobby shop has never had any but it is something I have wanted to try.

Your silver radiator color question depends on what you are trying to represent as to what the radiator is made of. The OEM was a brass affair that was painted a semi gloss black from the factory as was the expansion tank mounted to the thermostat housing. Since you're building a custom they can be what ever you want them to be. A silver radiator would look like an updated Aluminum radiator. I would suggest making the expansion tank more chrome like in appearance since this was and is a common detail on 1:1 customs.