Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/20 '93 GMC Sonoma 4x4

Casey

This was not the ex-Lindberg 1/20 scale GMC High Rider pickup kit I was expecting:

AMT1057-2.jpg?1510743952

I was thinking it'd be the red, super-polished plastic '94+ version, so this is a mildly pleasant surprise. This appears to be the Baja Racer version (though not the factory first gen S-10 Baja), only stock, not with all the aftermarket parts and decals (maybe those are optional and included?). Mike W, did you build this one? ^_^

D a m n 1/20th scale,

and yes, I am scale bigot, so no need to point it out;):D

X2

Lindberg peed away several years of otherwise great tooling by doing this 1/20 non-sense.  Lots of stuff that I would have wanted if it wasn't for the oddball scale.  Anything besides 1/24 or 1/25 is not an option for me.  Guess I can't blame Round 2 for trying, though - they've got a bunch of white elephants here.  Wonder how these and the other ex-Lindberg 1/20 are going to sell?  I have a sneaking suspicion...

Edited by Robberbaron

...that history will repeat itself and they're going to gather dust on the shelves.

I believe the 1/20 '94 Camaro convertible and '93 Nissan Hardbody are already out and available, branded as AMT.  And at least on the board here, there seems to be nothing but crickets chirping.

At least the 4x4 Sonoma is a subject that wasn't available elsewhere (maybe also goes for the Nissan?)  The real headscratcher for me is the Camaro:  Why not just reissue the AMT 1/25 Camaro convert annual, which I think ended as a 1995?  Not much of any difference between the 2 years.

Edited by Robberbaron

X2

Lindberg peed away several years of otherwise great tooling by doing this 1/20 non-sense.  Lots of stuff that I would have wanted if it wasn't for the oddball scale.  Anything besides 1/24 or 1/25 is not an option for me.  Guess I can't blame Round 2 for trying, though - they've got a bunch of white elephants here.  Wonder how these and the other ex-Lindberg 1/20 are going to sell?  I have a sneaking suspicion...

Right, I am very much partial to the Nissan Hardbody , I would of eaten that kit up like candy if it was not in that god awful 1/20th scale .  To be honest, I would of pretty much got all the kits minus the Camaro kit.

• 1 month later...

I'm a huge S-Series fan so I'll be able to look past the scale. Had the bright blue release of this for some time now and it looks like it's well made. The only thing stopping me from building it is that i wanted to do a white Baja S-10 and scared I'll never keep the blue from kreeping through. I have the Chevy grill and engine.

Interesting note on this kit is that it has the Syclone engine. 

34 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm a huge S-Series fan so I'll be able to look past the scale. Had the bright blue release of this for some time now and it looks like it's well made. The only thing stopping me from building it is that i wanted to do a white Baja S-10 and scared I'll never keep the blue from kreeping through. I have the Chevy grill and engine.

They are decent kits,  just the awkward scale.

On 12/31/2017 at 6:13 PM, Toast said:

Unless this reissue has the turbo and Syclone correct intake plenum, just having a 4.3L does NOT make it a Syclone engine. The 4.3L was used in everything from the S series trucks to the Astro minivan, and also if I remember correctly even in the full size base model V6 powered pickups and vans. 

On 1/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, highway said:

Unless this reissue has the turbo and Syclone correct intake plenum, just having a 4.3L does NOT make it a Syclone engine. The 4.3L was used in everything from the S series trucks to the Astro minivan, and also if I remember correctly even in the full size base model V6 powered pickups and vans. 

might have made it's way into a few passenger cars like the 86/87 Monte Carlo and Caprice, will have to double check for sure.

Just checked, they were available in the Monte and Caprice, as well as the El Camino, basically any light duty rwd Chevy platform starting around 1984/85. The 4.3 was first offered in the S-10 line in mid 1988 model year pickups and Blazers.

Edited by mikemodeler

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

might have made it's way into a few passenger cars like the 86/87 Monte Carlo and Caprice, will have to double check for sure.

Just checked, they were available in the Monte and Caprice, as well as the El Camino, basically any light duty rwd Chevy platform starting around 1984/85. The 4.3 was first offered in the S-10 line in mid 1988 model year pickups and Blazers.

And if you check a little more, the 4.3L WAS AVAILABLE in the C/K pickup line. 

http://consumerguide.com/used/1990-98-chevrolet-ck-pickup/

1 minute ago, highway said:

And if you check a little more, the 4.3L WAS AVAILABLE in the C/K pickup line. 

http://consumerguide.com/used/1990-98-chevrolet-ck-pickup/

Yup, my comments were intended to add to your information as to the availability of the 4.3, starting around 1985 in the fullsize pickups and Astro/Safari vans as well as rwd passenger cars.

38 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Yup, my comments were intended to add to your information as to the availability of the 4.3, starting around 1985 in the fullsize pickups and Astro/Safari vans as well as rwd passenger cars.

My bad, I misunderstood! :lol: I thought you were meaning just in the cars. 

They weren't bad in the Astro either, my mom had a 90 with the 4.3L and that was what I learned to drive in. I could even get it to chirp the tires before the AWD started taking over! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...