Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 71 Ford Ranger XLT

The Moebius 1971 Ford Ranger. This is a very good kit and it builds up into a well proportioned representation. The plastic does have an odd texture cast into it. Although in various internet reviews of the kit, we are assured that this will have no effect on the finished paint, I did have some of the texture show through the final coat of paint on the hood. Not terrible, but noticeable.

For those who may be interested, here is a link to the build thread.

71_Ranger22.thumb.jpg.d35c3e0d2aab0327be

Complete with 1972 Arizona Non-Commercial plates.

71_Ranger23.thumb.jpg.9e766bb07c236eb1bd

I'm not sure of the origin of the alignment issue between the bed and the cab. I did use PVA to secure them both to the frame, so I may be able to correct that.

71_Ranger24.thumb.jpg.176b72ac4d40fe8668

The decals that Moebius provided for this kit are excellent. They were well printed, thin enough to conform and durable enough to work with.

71_Ranger25.thumb.jpg.d1aa2587626b555148

And here' s the special "RoadKill" edition!

71_Ranger26.thumb.jpg.4c0044b24695b4f201

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Typo

Beautiful build. Everything looks clean and sharp. I wouldn't worry about the twisted bed issue since that was somewhat common of the 1:1 Ford trucks of the time and it doesn't really show in the pictures anyway. I followed your build on this and all your efforts really paid off in its appearance.    

My, my, my that is one beautiful pickup.  Really love that era Ford and you have done an excellent job.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks Ricky, I'm glad you like it.

Beautiful build. Everything looks clean and sharp. I wouldn't worry about the twisted bed issue since that was somewhat common of the 1:1 Ford trucks of the time and it doesn't really show in the pictures anyway. I followed your build on this and all your efforts really paid off in its appearance.    

Thank you David, I always strive for authenticity- intentional or otherwise. :D

Turned out great David.

Thanks JC

Gorgeous truck. Nice build. 

Thank you Donald.

That's a beauty!  Well done.

Thank you Bruce.

David G.

Very, very nice.. Great build.

Dennis

Thank you Dennis

Looks great, I remember seeing many in similar color combos. Nicely detailed.

Thanks Mike, I too remember seeing a lot of this color scheme "back in the day". It just fits so well with the body style.

great build

Thanks Bill.

Looks great!

Thank you Chris.

David G.

I REALLY like that!

Thank you Peter, I am rather happy with the way it came out.

Well Done !!!

Thanks Steve. 

I notice that you're in Medina (That's muh-Dine-uh, not meh-Deen-uh), Ohio. I was born in Youngstown and I'm familiar with pretty much the whole NE corner of the State. I moved to Arizona almost thirty years ago, but in many ways, I still think of that part of the world as home.

David G.

That "texture" you mention happened when the factory forgot to "polish" the tooling, after it had been approved for production,  the grainy look being due to the electo-discharge milling (removal of bits of steel by a minute electrical arc, operating in a tank of oil.  That process results in a dull, finely grained texture not at all unlike fine sandblasting.    Your kit comes from that very first production run of the kit--Dave Metzner made very certain that the factory understood that molds are to be polished before being placed into production--subsequent production runs of this version, as well as all other versions of this kit are from polished tooling.

The texturing is quite fine, and does disappear with a good paintjob.

Art

Fantastic looking F100  Great colors and foil

Thank you Oscar

Very nice work !....turned out looking great !.....I hope I can get around to building on one of these soon,  I always liked these "bumpsides" Fords.

Thanks Rick. When you do build yours, be sure to test fit everything. Nearly everything on this kit is a close tolerance fit. The windshield for example, inserts from the inside of the cab and snaps into place so securely that I was nearly unable to remove it. Once I did get it out, I made a point of enlarging the opening so that the paint was less likely to be damaged during final installation

Super!! B)

Thank you Janne.

That "texture" you mention happened when the factory forgot to "polish" the tooling, after it had been approved for production,  the grainy look being due to the electo-discharge milling (removal of bits of steel by a minute electrical arc, operating in a tank of oil.  That process results in a dull, finely grained texture not at all unlike fine sandblasting.    Your kit comes from that very first production run of the kit--Dave Metzner made very certain that the factory understood that molds are to be polished before being placed into production--subsequent production runs of this version, as well as all other versions of this kit are from polished tooling.

The texturing is quite fine, and does disappear with a good paintjob.

Art

Interesting. On the hood, the texture I observed coming through the paint was a series of fine diagonal lines. They looked similar to what is frequently seen on 3-D printed objects. Three coats of color-sanded paint took care of most of the problem. Given that, it was acting more like a ghosting issue than a texture issue, though I'm not certain that there is any fundamental difference between the two.

Thanks for the explanation, it does make sense.

Sharp looking build sir!

mike

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you like it.

David G.