Model Cars Magazine Forum

wire wheels???

noname

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, Bernard Kron said:

At long last, long time MCM board member, master modeler, and all around nice guy, Curt Raitz, has gone into the aftermarket wire wheel  business with his beautiful hand-laced wire wheels. Fpr those of us who frequent the NNL West you may have seen examples of his work in recent years and many of us have been bugging him to make them generally available.

They're the real deal, with stainless wire spokes and machined aluminum rims and hubs. Hence the TruWire brand. The initial offering is for 1/24th & 1/25th scale applications and come in two diameters, .740" and .790", $25.00 USD plus shipping. They are designed to be compatible with most kit dragster motorcycle style front tires. Curt tells me he's also offering them in 1/16th scale for a slightly higher price.

I was able to test both sizes successfully with several different generally available FED kits in my stash (unfortunately I'm so Old Skool that rear-engined dragsters are total MIA on my shelves). In general I would say the .740" size is a straightforward fit for most applications. The .790 inchers might require that you do some minor sanding on older, hardened tires. They are gorgeous and I'm sure will take almost any model I use them on to a whole new level. They're ideal not only for the obvious dragster uses, but also for a knockout Fad-T, some vintage applications, and maybe even for motorcycles.

Curt can be reached at miniscurtraitzing, 686 Helen Dr., Hollister, CA 95023. Email is ceraitz@gmail.com.

Truwires-790-740-product-group-shot-web.
Curt-wheel-simichromed.jpg

Oh HELL yeah!!! I'll be looking this guy UP! This thread popped back up at exactly the right time. Wow! Thanks Bernard.

28 minutes ago, gasser59 said:

MicroNitro is now Dancing Bear Scale Components and he's slowly gearing back up to production. Not sure if he plans on offering the 1/16th scale wires spokes again.

I've dealt with MicroNitro once on a set of wheels and he does offer some really good wheels. I'm looking forward to dealing with him again because I need another set of wheels for another project. Is there any way to contact him other than on Facebook?

33 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

I've dealt with MicroNitro once on a set of wheels and he does offer some really good wheels. I'm looking forward to dealing with him again because I need another set of wheels for another project. Is there any way to contact him other than on Facebook?

I think right now FB is the only way. He's building a new shop and probably won't be done until spring depending on winter weather so he doesn't have a website now since he's not fully up and running.

24 minutes ago, gasser59 said:

I think right now FB is the only way. He's building a new shop and probably won't be done until spring depending on winter weather so he doesn't have a website now since he's not fully up and running.

Well thank you A TON for the heads up anyways. I'll be keeping an eye peeled for 'em when he's up and runnin'.:D