Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long does it normally take to receive replacement parts from Revell?

Back in August I bought another Revell '78 RX7 from a vendor brand new and it was missing the whole clear parts tree. He doesn't take returns but told me the kit is a new release and to go to Revell's site and fill out the free replacement parts form for the glass tree. So I submitted my free parts replacement order #166549 on 9/20 and they said a 6-8 week waiting process, so I figured I'd wait 5 or so. Then I heard from a friend of mine that Revell ships replacement parts real quick and he got his in under a week, and yet its been two months and I never got mine (I was never asked kit photos in any email). I then dropped a line to CS with my # and the CS person who got back to me (who i'm not going to name unless forum rules state otherwise) told me "my order is still being processed and is at the lower line in their shipping dpt". I then contacted Revell CS after week 5 and then I get various emails with one saying "the order was shipped on 9/28", and another one stating it was "delivered to the address I put on the form", but alas I never got any parts AT ALL! Then a day later (11/10) I got another email with CS saying "Please excuse our error, it does not show as shipped on 9-28. It is in line to be shipped. We will ask the shipping department to move it to the top of the line". I still don't have my parts as of turkey day and now i'm desperate to just get one of these at HL for the clear tree then return it, instead of going through this bad comedy ever again.

Have you guys ever had this happen to you? Because this is opposite the raving posts I've heard about Revell's CS and the long haul wait and level of incompetence CS displayed here is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for a well known company.

Reason why I never posted this sooner was I choose to see how it rode out and figured I'm a 1st time customer so they needed time to get my info and such down, but now i'm not happy with the long wait and the delivery est screw-ups. I'm not swearing but if anyone has an objection to this post, how would YOU feel about waiting months for your stuff because of clown level CS saying different things and their messed up shipping dpt.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

Revell's parts replacement program is designed to replace parts, like the windshield, not the entire clear runner. I'm surprised nobody asked you for the UPC code after you made the request since they normally don't send out entire sections of kits like that without verifying you actually do own the kit and they can research backwards to why the entire runner was missing. 

As frustrating as I'm sure it is, the actual solution to this problem was to return it to where you bought it, so the vendor could dump it back to Hobbico for his credit. I know you stated he doesn't take returns, but that's a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH policy and not someone I'd do business with in the first place.

Here's the thing, that RX7 was missing the glass front rear and taillights and all were part numbered on the form, which turned out to be the entire tree anyway. A friend of mine was missing the whole chrome tree on his sealed new issue Acura Integra bought from Ebay, and Revell sent his less than a week he filled in his replacement form and got it. Meanwhile I'm still waiting two months for mine and CS lied about it being sent out 9/28 when it was still in process as they said in an earlier email, so its not the type of request I'm making since my friend made his similar, its just incompetence near the holidays and excuses to cover their chops. 

Now, if say something not crucial to the car like stock wheels/tires and seats were missing or defected, then I wouldnt've went through this CS circus and easily have gotten replacements. But since the glass and such are crucial parts that would be hard to replicate otherwise, I would hate to pay near MSRP for another kit and be in the same boat wasting it just for the glass. My request is completely honest as i'm in no way abusing the system, just asking for something that was purely missing on the copy I bought from the vendor (who was cheaper than Hobby Lobby's 40% off before they carried it) that doesn't take returns at all, even if the box was heavily crushed or if the kit was open and had defects/missing parts. The vendor understands my situation and completely believes me since he told me about Revell's incident with the Foose Caddys (I can guess why that he still has tons of those), but he told me that ppl schemed him off in the past and that's why his policy stands.

No one at Revell CS asked for a UPC code nor pictures. IDK if it's standard procedure or not. Guess for now on, I buy and pay 2x more from someone who takes returns regardless instead of someone cheaper but has an old grudge against ppl.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

I've never had issues with revell's replacement parts program. The amount of time it takes to arrive can be a result of many factors, how busy they are, the US postal system which is a joke, and who knows what else. They are usually pretty good, and I've never waited more than 3 or 4 weeks at most for parts. Your problem is kind of unusual.

Revell has one person who supports all the CS and they don't have a stash of parts in inventory to satisfy, either.  When we visited their Elk Grove site a few years back for IHOBBY interview, they showed us an area where kits are stored and they basically open the kit to pick the parts.  I have never had a problem with getting a missing or damaged part.  Sometimes the turnaround is less than a week and sometimes much longer.  

I just made a request for a missing wheel in my Soapy Sales kit , a front wheel is missing from the parts tree , still sealed in the bag , just 1 wheel gone . The parts request form I filled out had to have the sales receipt and UPC code from the box , pictures of both , along with the usual part # and kit reference  . Got a response within a week that the parts are being sent. All of my experiences with them have been good .

About a month ago I got Revell's recently reissued '57 Chevy Black Widow kit. One that came with a Bel Air two-door sedan body in it, rather than the correct 150 body. I went to Revell's website to request a new body. It took them exactly three weeks to get me one. Which I think is very reasonable. I requested a new decal sheet for my Revell '32 Ford three-window coupe well over a year ago, and never got them. Finally I bought a set on eBay. But, overall I've had good luck dealing with Revell's customer service. Three to four weeks being the norm.

I bought five Revell Kenworth K100 kits back in April. All five had defective chrome trees (both trees in each kit) it was like the plating was over sand. I gave everything to Ed Sexton of Revell that he needed, pictures, UPC codes, etc. I just received five of one of the trees a couple days ago and i’m still waiting on the other five.