[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

    • Dave Ambrose

      General Usage   05/10/2017

      If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
Lovefordgalaxie

1940 Ford Standard Business Coupe.

Recommended Posts

Very nice!

Thanks Chris

Very sharp.  Nice black paint job.

Thanks!!

Beautiful Tulio!

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tulip I don't open every post I see here but when I see yours I always check in and am never disappointed. Here is a cloudmist gray example built from the AMT coupe and sedan kits long before Revell did a 40. Started it 25 years ago. I really should finish it someday. The one in the back is a left over from the spray paint process. (I kept stripping and repainting until I was happy with the paint job.)

IMG_9273rt_1-vi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Tulip I don't open every post I see here but when I see yours I always check in and am never disappointed. Here is a cloudmist gray example built from the AMT coupe and sedan kits long before Revell did a 40. Started it 25 years ago. I really should finish it someday. The one in the back is a left over from the spray paint process. (I kept stripping and repainting until I was happy with the paint job.)

IMG_9273rt_1-vi.jpg

Thanks a lot!!

Loved your Ford Dave!!

Looks like you used the lowered front end. It gives the car, specially the Standard, a mean look. 

The first AMT '40 I built back in the early '90s also has the dropped front end, and the dual exhaust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Thanks a lot!!

Loved your Ford Dave!!

Looks like you used the lowered front end. It gives the car, specially the Standard, a mean look. 

The first AMT '40 I built back in the early '90s also has the dropped front end, and the dual exhaust. 

You are correct, I did. I was replicating a 40 Standard hot rod that's in the collection of Jim Walker of Dayton Ohio. His collection was featured in American Rodder magazine back in 1992 and I fell in love with this one.

Edited by Dave Darby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A beautiful job. I have paint envy. My black paint would never look this good. It doesn't look like you even had to polish it. Would you consider giving a brief  description of your paint method?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Smitty said:

A beautiful job. I have paint envy. My black paint would never look this good. It doesn't look like you even had to polish it. Would you consider giving a brief  description of your paint method?

Thanks for the comment!!

Usually, I use automotive paint in authentic colors. 

On this car I used automotive synthetic enamel. As a base coat, I used a Lukscolor spray primer, that acts as a barrier to protect the plastic from the automotive paint. Then I airbrushed the enamel, thinned down with enamel reducer 410 from Sherwin Williams. The airbrush I used is a Badger 350, and the pressure was 25 PSI. I have two water traps, one on the compressor, and another just before the airbrush. 

The paint was color sanded and buffed to get rid of the eventual orange peel, and dust spot. 

I use no clear coat on solid colors.

You can take a look at the build pictures on Flickr:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskvXw79V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now