Model Cars Magazine Forum

Serious air brushing issues...

... any sort of help is appreciated.

I've been using Alclad and have stripped out by chassis about 3 times so far.

It's turned out orange peeled every time.

I've tried PSI from 15 to 25, thinned, un-thinned, 3" to 6" away, nothing makes a difference.

I start light coats and it seems grainy or orange pealed almost right away.

I'm still waiting for Don Yosts DVD but honestly don't feel it will help much.

I'm using a .4mm needle and have .15mm and .6mm on hand.

I sprayed my tub and it looks great but I don't recall how I got it to look that way.

Air brushing alone is causing me serious contemplation to quite.  I've spent a lot of time and money and honestly don't know how to solve this.

Has any one experienced this and how did you get past it?

Hi,

First many thank for the replies.

It's stripped and this time I used Tamiya Fine Surface Primer were as before it ws Duplicolor Primer/Sealer.  It's very very smooth or at least feels that way.

Figured I'd try something different to avoid the definition of insanity.

Although Duplicolor was used on my tub which turned out great.

Waiting an hour before applying Alclad II ACL-101.

IMG_2854.JPG

The base depends on the final finish. Chrome and chrome-like finishes require a gloss base. The aluminum and other metals generally just a primer base. Alclad is the brand of paint that covers a gamut of finishes including chrome, metals, and candies. I have never had issues spraying any of them over Duplicolor primers. They are, in fact, some of the easiest paints to spray (for me anyhow). Just a good base and 12-15 psi...

I've not done much Alclad spraying, but I thought it was always supposed to be sprayed over a gloss black base. It's pretty fine pigment, so the .4 needle should be fine. At 15 psi it should be misting on. What airbrush do you have? There's quite a difference in airflow between different brushes for the same PSI at the regulator, so it's just possible even at that pressure it's too much, but it seems unlikely. What's the climate like where you are? Not hot and dry, this time of year, I'm guessing...

Could it be the solvent in the Alclad attacking the primer? Tamiya primer should resist "hot" lacquer so that might make a difference. Is Duplicolour enamel?

Sounds weird, for sure...

best,

M.

Hi,

Well I'm at a loss.  I was doing my spray in light coats as per Alclads video tutorial, 15PSI, ~4 away.

But then I ran out of paint, so I filled the cup and began to spray when it spattered so hard and orange peeled again.  Prior to this it was actually coming out well.

And my AB was actually clogged fairly well.

The part has such intricate detail that wet sanding is not a a good idea so I've stripped and primed again.

It's 80+ and very dry here in SoCal so I'll mix some Mr. Leveler as it ain't coolin down any time soon.

To be continued tomorrow.

Whats the detriment in using a higher PSI?

PS  I think the reason for my woes is low humidity+high temps.  When I sprayed the tub which tuned out great, it was a lot cooler.

Edited by aurfalien

Success!... for me anyways.

Finally something that doesn't look like a$$.

A few things I did differently;

1) The primer coat was very smooth.  Previous coats, while feeling smooth, were porous under my magnified visor tool.  Also I used Duplicolor filler and NOT Duplicolor sealer this time.  I thought one can sand any paint but there sealer is not really sandable as it looks kinda funny when sanded.  Sort of orange peeled.

2) Used 20PSI and 1/3 thinner, 2/3 Alclad Aluminum ALC-101.

3) Followed brush strokes and distance exactly as shown in the Alclad how-to video.  That guy is cool!

IMG_2859.JPG