Model Cars Magazine Forum

New bench

Flat32

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have been looking it over for a few days. Wanting to start a build and looking for the correct place to hang out. I'm not an experienced builder and it seems like I should begin by getting one of the neat green mats that show in many of the builder's photos and learn how to set up my camera first.

I'm 74 years old so my interests are very much dated.  Besides that there are only two subject models I want to build, 1932 Ford 3 window fendered coupe, I have a 1/1 of that, and the one in the photo.  Until I can come up with a 1/8 3W body, I have a Big Deuce in the box, I will focus on The Bug.  Apparently 1/25 scale is the most popular so I'll try that.  I cheat by using 3D printing.  Did my scratch building on 1/1 parts and printing model parts took the shine off machining for me.

I'm amazed by the jaw dropping scratch work I see here and the fine detail work with obvious passion driving it.  Everyone seems to be extremely helpful and willing to answer any question.

So is it better to post on the Bench or should I go to the  Drag section??

Ray

THE BUG.jpg

Welcome Flat32, we are of the same general vintage. I have seen builds such as your picture posted here and no one seemed to mind. If one of the monitors feels differently they may move it.  As for a protective work surface there are many options. Many builders have different ideas about what works best for them. I can only offer what I have done as a suggestion and by looking at what information others will offer then see what it is you want to use. For me Bed Bath and Beyond offers a lot of good storage and work surfaces for modeling. I have used several of their expandable spice racks for small paint bottles. A self healing cutting board that has a small lip around the outer edge designed to catch fluids works well for a work surface. I have one of their tooth brush holders for my paint brushes and the matching water glass for cleaning the brushes when needed. They will sometimes have an unusual desk lamp on close out that will give you additional light in your work area. I also use a magnifying adjustable light when doing detail work since at this point in life I just don't have the sight I once had. This light and some other neat tools found in the jewelry department are from Jo Ann's Fabrics. These are fairly inexpensive tools to get started. I still find it very interesting all of the different items that members will post information about that have a use in our hobby.  

I'm quite a bit beyond starting excepting for the detailing and photo aspects of the hobby.  Ordered an Olfa mat, got a tabletop tripod and a camera with wifi to trigger remotely.  Got an airbrush kit and a set of paints.  Got a couple Molotow pens.  It's like setting up a factory with finishing and final assembly departments under construction.  R&D and some printing currently in laundry room.  This computer is on the washing machine, post processing stereo microscope on the dryer.  Big printer is in the garage along with all of my metal working stuff.  I'm in good shape financially, decent health for my age and only real problems are with life, wife, and space.

Many of my parts aren't "kit" available so I have to make them.  It starts with computer models and this is some of what I have.  Printed most of it in various scale with PLA filament. SLA resin and poly-jet resin on a more or less experimental basis.

diff r&p assy whole eng.jpg