Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari Bollo (Bubble) Up dated Dec 7th

Peter Lombardo

Obviously, the Ferrari Enzo, since introduced in 2002 is a fantastic car, even by today's standards, but to be perfectly honest, the shape of the body always left me a bit cold.  It is too "truck like" for my taste.  Too angled and not smooth enough.  Remember the 330 P4 from the mid sixties?  It always got my attention.  So rounded and sensual.  Sexy by anyone's standards. Well, a few years ago I got, for free, a Revell Enzo kit.  I have the Tamiya kit, which one day I will build, along with the LaFerrari and FXXK.  But the Revell kit was expendable, so is offering up its engine, chassis and the interior tub for a car of my design.

My inspiration for the design of this car is the a fore mentioned 330 P4.  I did a quick side elevation rendering of the Enzo and the P4, and then my design, borrowing much from the P4, but adding a bubble top to the design.  The chassis of the Enzo is used without any modification to the engine mount, placement of the interior and the wheelbase.  I was thinking about how, back in the day, Ferrari would build a chassis and have a custom coach builder craft a "one off" custom designed body.  That is basically my thinking here.

I sketched out the basic design and then carved the shape out of sign foam.  I then vacuum formed the body and the clear bubble top.

Here is the side elevation of the 2002 Enzo, followed by a quick side elevation of the 330 P4 and then the Bollo that I designed so I think you can follow the progression of the design.vrmynkApapPCZzaYq3uhKBDwSi4NfkeEF3bMW-3-  The 330 P4k4ept9WRyRiwfrfIUJ4jUi9oj1lhdhwMVM7LkmP7 And then the Bollo design.SW6d86S3BTI_TjXiA13EsDBA2vk_icg6ZVwBxPVS    

Here is a 3/4 front view I worked upE19otz69tiNjITxBDdhMe4ns8kK-PI_ijiYlTL87

The plan is to have the back part of the bubble tilt up and the front section to tilt up and forward, then the doors slide into the body and under the seats to allow easy entry into the cockpit.

Here is the mold buck for the vacuum formed body 9TSgGZTIelrpMAaoPhA0GUZNXA_EUQ5Soi37dDK5  Here are the buck and the "raw" formed bodyqSZIPz7iSm-MtcCuFD6LUFurGC659dgxzJppO0Hi  Here is the buck, body and clear body that will provide the bubble top (and my big toe)xAv8LbJ1zGkdALZsexOYJvB2GN4s91LWz3kjvNET, once tinted darker.

Here is a side shot of the clear body and the molded bodylHtBNnd_9O-lU732AGGjtu5c6utjgrKhgHR97xDd  7a7CR3WAIerjhAbtDq5udVUPiXEbwWk020UyFfeg the molded body   4FX8uYJ4F51QeZlG6zBgnPL_eoLpKG4rZaJ8uPZB  Here is a very early under construction shot   On this you can see I was experimenting with a few different designs for air scopes and exits.8EfwSYx408ImVYRfqOkdFs6d-P7ZvZhuOQ34g_D7  This shot gives you a better idea of how it will look as it gets closer to the finishdaOevD8CWnFe1TyFp42-G_Z5sgPEpNr6lQwLWj-A  The headlights will have multiple LED lights running from the top of the fender forward and the amber turn signals are the on the bottom from left to right6pWteqMPMV_Vn-FrQ1RJAe9KRSytMgkAVxnsNgEi   Rear shot  without spoiler c6aTWKV1UWvbNimL5eBeXo0KJzysxEttHH_R-aNSAnd finally, a shot looking down on it..... there is a ton of work to be done to this, the rear spoiler and lower extended body panels are not added yet.so it will be in the "shop" for some time, but I wanted to get this on the forum so I will be forced to finish it.PF6jbvWqwSjzLcW8aMTxLRQTcLqG8IIfMp-l_YcH

Edited by Peter Lombardo
Get the pictures to show properly.

6 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

Slightly reminiscient of the Howmet TX turbine racer from the late Sixties.

I was not familiar with that car, just googled it.... yeah, a little in the front, but that car, the Howmet, reminds me of the Chaparral coupe more than anything else with a little Porsche 956 front end thrown in.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:35 PM, Dann Tier said:

First off....great work here, secondly.....where did you get your vacuum former from?......always wanted to try one.

Sorry, I do not remember where, exactly, it came from.... we found it on line, some guy in Texas, if I remember correctly makes them.... I think , about 18 years ago we paid just under $100 for it... I would just google "Vacuum form machine" and see what comes up.  Shouldn't be that hard to find one.... and thanks for the kind words on the build.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a bit of progress with this build..... originally I was planning some sort of red for the color, unt at the last changed my mind to a gun metal  with a micro gold flake high lite.Cm8PHctGo3DURTHx42_RHmDcIZxPvbsWz3_pUwkN    QDissG80L2XvzUuZZqyM3KID8MtXEcoeawGgDKuxB323YuaZqLpF6zrBUY1DKFC7iZHidm9S8pKAMX8ArNZ1BegB5mKJ_bMfRI_dMdbnqkbf05Qn2_LglYK3uy38iZow2L06wvdBvZeJ_xbcJ8oBJv8Bt5xeoFBd This is a far cry from done... the interior is not complete and the body is just resting on the chassis, the doors are taped into place and the lights are not complete yet.  The body paint needs some work and a solid polishing once it is fully dry.