Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, the good news is I am getting a hobby room.

russosborne

The bad news is that my mother in law died. Didn't need a hobby room this bad. :(

Was a week ago tonight, just haven't gotten around to writing about it before now.

She was 89. Been doing pretty well up to about 3 weeks ago or so. Then she went downhill fast, but this still came as a shock. We were all thinking this was just another spell of not feeling good and she'd be back to normal soon.  She had been living with us for about the past 5 years or so. Thought she'd be around for a few more years at least.

Thanks,

Russ

On 11/25/2017 at 11:51 PM, russosborne said:

Thanks everyone.

Been a bad year for deaths in our family. Guess it is just going to get worse in the years to come.

Sometimes getting old sucks.

Russ

You're right that sometimes getting old is tough, however it's a privilege that many people don't reach. It also has many benefits as well. We just have to learn to take the good with the bad and be grateful for what we have, including lots of unbuilt model kits.

Feel your pain Russ you have my condolences, lost my dad on 9/9/17 he'd just gotten back home and we were supposed to get together later in the week. Two things that really stink my birthday is 2/9, we had a family service 9/14 Valentine's was a favorite of his and we buried him 9/24 day of moms birthday is 11/24. Got all but my sister. He was 67 1/2 pushing to 70 to retire?

1 minute ago, cowboy rich said:

Sorry not trying to steal your thread just first time I've been able to talk about it, not trying to step on any toes.

I don't think anyone would mind.  I'll add that ther is no way in hades I would work to death and push myself to an age 8 years beyond being eligible to collect Soc Sec.  My father and brother died in their late 50's.. I am 59 with no health issues like they had (cancer) so even though SS does not kick in until 62 I'm done at 60 or 61 at the latest.  I've got too many models to build to be spending time working.  Financially I wil be able to do it so why not.  On the plus side my mom is 86 and is doing well but lives 1,000 miles away so I pray she stays that way for the foreseeable future.  Oh - my hobby room is the living room couch with most of my models in a closet but I do have a nice display room with seven display case,, a bookcase and computer.

15 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I don't think anyone would mind.  I'll add that ther is no way in hades I would work to death and push myself to an age 8 years beyond being eligible to collect Soc Sec.  My father and brother died in their late 50's.. I am 59 with no health issues like they had (cancer) so even though SS does not kick in until 62 I'm done at 60 or 61 at the latest.  I've got too many models to build to be spending time working.  Financially I wil be able to do it so why not.  On the plus side my mom is 86 and is doing well but lives 1,000 miles away so I pray she stays that way for the foreseeable future.  Oh - my hobby room is the living room couch with most of my models in a closet but I do have a nice display room with seven display case,, a bookcase and computer.

Didn't get no hobby room still the couch only plus was he was set to leave la grand or. For Quebec Canada the 12 th (long haul trucker) could have been much worse.

15 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I understand your desire to retire early, I did. I would offer this suggestion before you do. Check and see how this will, and it will, effect your monthly benefits. Depending on your age the younger you are now means that if you retire before the predetermined age it will decrease the amount of your monthly benefits. They keep moving the retirement age further and further beyond 65 in order to get your full "pay" in retirement.     

Way back when I was still working, somebody figured out that to make up the difference of early retirement and waiting for the "full" benefit would take 17 years.  I don't know how true that is and there's no guarantee that a person will live long enough to reap the higher amount.

5 hours ago, espo said:

I understand your desire to retire early, I did. I would offer this suggestion before you do. Check and see how this will, and it will, effect your monthly benefits. Depending on your age the younger you are now means that if you retire before the predetermined age it will decrease the amount of your monthly benefits. They keep moving the retirement age further and further beyond 65 in order to get your full "pay" in retirement.     

I've got a spreadsheet that figures in SS at 62, IRA and pension monthly amounts based on various ages.  Yes, taking the lower pension and SS amounts at an earlier age will yield less overall if you live longer than 11 or so years past your retirement date.  Last time I check no on is guanateeed to live to 65 or 70 or 75 and past tomorrow for that matter.  I hope I can enjoy the fruits of 40 years labor for at least 15-24 years and if I watch my money and maybe work 2 days a week for a few years I should be fine.  I just heard about a guy in his late 90's die with a $4M estate.  He lived in the same house for 50 years and you can bet he could not bring himself to enjoy his money and a dirtbag couple embezzled over a $1M from him.  They got caught and are looking at 50 years in jail time.

Thanks again, all.

Today was rough on my wife. Got the call from the funeral home that her mom's ashes are ready to be picked up.

Have to figure out where to put them, we aren't keeping them. Wife's choice, and her mom wanted to be put in a rose garden or something.

Rich, sorry for your loss. No problems from me about your post. I just start them, can't tell where they will end up. Sometimes, like in your case, it helps someone else. Which is a good thing.

Russ

16 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Way back when I was still working, somebody figured out that to make up the difference of early retirement and waiting for the "full" benefit would take 17 years.  I don't know how true that is and there's no guarantee that a person will live long enough to reap the higher amount.

I have worked with a couple of guys who retired and passed before getting their first retirement check. To me, retiring early or later is like a crapshoot.