Model Cars Magazine Forum

Loadstar Brush Truck

Body work continues to progress with side panels completed and the rub rails nearly completed.  I did some drawings based on the measurements and photos of the actual truck and printed them out for each side, reversing the image so that it would be the same.  This gave me templates from which to work.  Even with that, there were some minor adjustments to be made.  Things never work out exactly as expected but so long as things are within reason, certain changes can be made.  Tubing is never the exact diameter as the real thing and it is not easy to get measurements along tubing that is bending in all sorts of directions.  Nevertheless things are taking shape.

100_9525.thumb.JPG.025e79cb53d097954ad701c21007c018.JPG

The front bar is hanging out in space for now.  The front bumper needs to be constructed and set in place In order to make the connections between the two surfaces.  I'm thinking another trip to see the real truck is in order because there is a winch that needs to be built to size for the bumper.

100_9526.thumb.JPG.a809a729886ff393bbcd38c1f7764563.JPG

Treadplate has been glued along the sides between the rub rails.  They are solid for now.  Eventually they will be opened up as compartments with "D" locks.  I'll use the same "D" locks from Don Mills Models for the tail lights also.  If you drill out the centers and replace the center with a piece of red clear and white clear you have lights with nice round trim rings.  The treadplate will be drilled out for the lights and the locks for a flat fit.

100_9527.thumb.JPG.197235336a363f5cc26647bf1a2e6fcc.JPG

The hose bed goes on top of the tank.  There is also a filler for water and one for foam.  I used 1/16" diameter rods for the upper grab rails.  This not only adds some stiffness but some strength also which will resist the chance for these small rails to break.  Similar rods will be used over the top of the cab and to the upper bar at front.  At each end of the rod I ground it down to a smaller diameter using my Dremel with a cutting wheel.  I rotated each end of the rod until I got a pin like end and then drilled holes in the mounting points to insert the pins in.  The rods are now pretty secure and have nice neat connections.

100_9528.thumb.JPG.5a7c7b98f5ebb90b9f1a21db5cce5444.JPG

The body has been built up as one piece, making it easier for painting.  The tank is still separate making it easier to get a nice paint job on it as well.  Between the tank and the back step is where the pump/engine will be set together with all of the plumbing for the hose lines.

100_9529.thumb.JPG.3281fae2d7aa5bb8dc0fa10314ba1a6a.JPG

Here's a look a the underside.  The compartments have not been boxed in yet.

Edited by Chariots of Fire

This weekend provided some time to get some additional work done on the Loadstar.  The tank and body are still separate pieces which made painting them much easier.  The tank was painted first and set aside.  Then the front and side panels of the body were painted red.  After the red was dry it was masked off and the rest was painted with engine black, a semi-gloss.  Finally the treadplate deck was painted with chrome silver.  I added the trim rings to the rear tail lights and now have to drill them out for the lenses.  Next up will be to finish the front bar work that is still hanging out in space.

076.thumb.JPG.5561104eaeaabea00480e70b2aedc669.JPG077.thumb.JPG.8db1d8e43c586953a551a55a1dad9f33.JPG

In the top photo the winch cable is just hanging for now.  It will be set in place once the bar work is done.

Work continues.  The braces between the top bar and bumper have been completed and painted.  With that done I went to work on building the upper braces that protect the hood, windshield and cab top.  They are made of 3/64 brass rod.  The ends of the rods were turned down to form a projecting pin that I could insert into pre-drilled holes in the bars.  The main pieces were done first making the bend and then connecting each piece with the brace that is between them above the windshield.  I put a piece of paper towel over the cab and hood to prevent solder from dropping on the paint.  Using a minimum of solder on the iron tip helped prevent any mishaps.

After the main braces were in place the smaller side pieces and additional inside pieces were soldered in position.  Last was to solder a piece of 0.010 brass sheet stock to the upper windshield brace.  With all of this done I could lift the entire assembly away in order to clean up the joints and get rid of the flux paste.  It is nearly ready to be spray painted and then it can be glued back into position.  If you look closely you can see where the ends of the brass rods were ground down to a pin sized projection to fit the holes in the bars.

078.thumb.JPG.e37dcfa5093536881f6677b567876d17.JPG

With the brass cleaned up this is what it looks like in place.

082.thumb.JPG.d588a8f9f765c21acac7d523655cad00.JPG

Don Mills Models "D" door latches have been added to the side compartment doors and additional ones were added to the rear.  They were drilled out and clear lenses were inserted and glued.  The upper ones are backup lights left clear but with a piece of clear white plastic sheet glued in behind.  The tail lights were painted with Tamiya clear red.080.thumb.JPG.8f74409f2a6ea12eeea7eb4c2d540cea.JPG

3 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Work continues.  The braces between the top bar and bumper have been completed and painted.  With that done I went to work on building the upper braces that protect the hood, windshield and cab top.  They are made of 3/64 brass rod.  The ends of the rods were turned down to form a projecting pin that I could insert into pre-drilled holes in the bars.  The main pieces were done first making the bend and then connecting each piece with the brace that is between them above the windshield.  I put a piece of paper towel over the cab and hood to prevent solder from dropping on the paint.  Using a minimum of solder on the iron tip helped prevent any mishaps.

After the main braces were in place the smaller side pieces and additional inside pieces were soldered in position.  Last was to solder a piece of 0.010 brass sheet stock to the upper windshield brace.  With all of this done I could lift the entire assembly away in order to clean up the joints and get rid of the flux paste.  It is nearly ready to be spray painted and then it can be glued back into position.  If you look closely you can see where the ends of the brass rods were ground down to a pin sized projection to fit the holes in the bars.

078.thumb.JPG.e37dcfa5093536881f6677b567876d17.JPG

With the brass cleaned up this is what it looks like in place.

082.thumb.JPG.d588a8f9f765c21acac7d523655cad00.JPG

Don Mills Models "D" door latches have been added to the side compartment doors and additional ones were added to the rear.  They were drilled out and clear lenses were inserted and glued.  The upper ones are backup lights left clear but with a piece of clear white plastic sheet glued in behind.  The tail lights were painted with Tamiya clear red.080.thumb.JPG.8f74409f2a6ea12eeea7eb4c2d540cea.JPG

Looking real nice there.

Today the upper bar work was finished up and painted.  I made up some rear view mirrors of brass wire, sheet stock and polished aluminum flashing.  I bent the wire in a long rectangle, soldered it to the brass sheet and then cut it free.  The edges were filed smooth.  The aluminum has pretty good reflectiveness and fits just inside the wire perimeter of each mirror.  I added some wire to the back of the mirrors just to enhance the look a bit.

100_9585.thumb.JPG.ed7218be60cd82eda2e49e7ab1cf0296.JPG100_9587.thumb.JPG.45b208561d7b9c1a7830afaa26af5434.JPG

Just under the cab protection I added some scene lights to the front and sides.  I found some clear IH fender lights and painted the backs white and the outside black.  I left the front clear.  The strobe lights are just printed on some glossy paper and clear coated.  Thanks to another fire apparatus modeler for that tip!  He made up a bunch and sent them to me to try.  They look pretty nice.

16 hours ago, Dieselhead said:

Man that looks great. What technique do you use for your nice bends in the tubing? Mine never come out that uniform. 

I use 90 degree bends from Plastruct.  The larger ones had to be sanded down to fit the tubing I used.  The 1/8" diameter tubing has bends of the same size.  Some sections that were less than 90 had to be trimmed by hand.