[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
Chariots of Fire

Loadstar Brush Truck

My compliments on the nice precision work on the chassis components!  Very neatly done mold for the tires too, should yield great results!

Bob

3 hours ago, Warren D said:

Looks great, I must say this is the first time I've seen a model frame rack in use! 

It helps in making sure that the frame sits level when the axles are attached.

More work on the Loadstar project.  The frame is now done except for the driveshafts.  I'm waiting on some 3D printed U-joints for the shafts and as soon as they arrive I can complete that portion of the drive train.  Engine is complete with the exception of tying in some of those "wires" that are sticking up in the air.  They will be run back to the firewall eventually.  

034.thumb.JPG.ce92e8fc8dc2ee35529d5a88fc3b7d60.JPG035.thumb.JPG.c63daf70a8abff4118da12dcb6b1d0a1.JPG036.thumb.JPG.6ddeb2ad5ba30893490b27c158998454.JPG

The front end is steerable and the drag link moves back and forth.  The rig also has power steering and that linkage is included.

038.thumb.JPG.439edfbe1226afd43f830f708a04be12.JPG

The cab can be set in position with the floorboard/firewall temporarily taped in.  It's a tight fit for the engine and fan but it's there.  Even in the real rigs the fit was tight.

040.thumb.JPG.7b062bdcb8bd1d1a325298ef70996ee6.JPG041.thumb.JPG.d80db14b5de9f4b15ed4ffac5ec289b1.JPG

Shapeways U-joints came in today.  Now I can get the driveshafts completed and installed.

Work continues.  The firewall/floorboard piece is ready for installation.  Been attaching some details to it so that I can make sure it all fits under the hood.  Space is really limited.  Hood pieces have been given an initial coat of paint but are in need of sanding and more coats.  Chassis work is complete and some light wearing/weathering has been done on the underside.  Will post a pic of that later.

I also found some nice detailing stuff on line.  Fusion beads are tiny hex head open detail pieces that are great for wiring connections and fuel lines.  They cannot be crimped and actually shatter if you try it.  But you can get  a couple hundred of them for cheap money and they will last a lifetime.  They are hard to see in the photo but when all is said and done they do add some extra pizzaz to the detail process.

042.thumb.JPG.3772576b7c659350c621d294bef81622.JPG

The wire pieces in the foreground I found at Michaels craft store.  Great for spark plug wires and other things.  I have some holes in the firewall where some of this wiring will go.  Adding fusion beads right at the firewall completes the look.  So far the battery, brake master cylinder and an electrical box have been added to the firewall.  There are also two arms that when extended will hold the hood sides open.

I'm at awe looking at all the fabrication of your steering and front axle components....simply outstanding work !!

Thanks, Rick.  Believe it or not most of the front axle components are just from pieces picked up in the parts box and used to advantage based on photos of the actual truck.  I did make the steering tie rod out of brass stock and drilled out the ends for pinning. The axles themselves are from the Ertl ALF kit, modified to fit this project.  The front one was rebuilt so that the pumpkin would be off set.  The steering parts are a combination of plastic for the steering box and brass tubing for the connecting arms, etc.  The front axle steering knuckles themselves are also brass.  I showed them in some of the photos posted earlier.  U-bolts are brass wire along with a piece of plastic stock drilled for the u-bolt ends.