Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)

I remember those Uniroyal commercials from around '73/'74. I guess they worked because when we came back from Vancouver Island to New Brunswick by car in '74, dad had put a brand new set of Uniroyal white wall radials on the '68 Electra. ;)

I'm wondering how well those Elcamino "Royal Knight" decals will fit the 1/25 MPC kit I have.  There's one in the brochure for that year in dark red/burgundy with the red decals that looks great.

131 3145

1981 Chevrolet El Camino-06

Edited by Can-Con

On 2/24/2018 at 5:35 PM, echoxrayniner said:

. Also to Dino, I really wanted to make a elaborate sheet for all sorts of under hood decals but quickly ran into the problem that the printer I use just doesn't have the color fidelity to do strongly detailed small-as-sin decals(unless its black, white, silver or gold, in which case its crisp as all sin!) so I quickly gave up on the idea. I got the designs at least, incase I run into a better source.

Actually, there are 7 colors which are easily printed very sharp (using the standard Alps CYMK cartirdges): red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, black. Then like you said, metallic colors too.

Alps printers are also capable of many different shades of solid colors (without using dithered CYMK inks) but it uses a more time (and ink) consuming process of layering spot colors,and the results are not always guaranteed (depending on the individual printer).  Thee also use ink cartridges designed for other model printers. Here are some examples of what Alps can do (there are more colors too).
decals01.htmdecals01.jpg

decals02.jpg

decals04.jpgdecals03.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, Can-Con said:

I remember those Uniroyal commercials from around '73/'74. I guess they worked because when we came back from Vancouver Island to New Brunswick by car in '74, dad had put a brand new set of Uniroyal white wall radials on the '68 Electra. ;)

I'm wondering how well those Elcamino "Royal Knight" decals will fit the 1/25 MPC kit I have.  There's one in the brochure for that year in dark red/burgundy with the red decals that looks great.

131 3145

1981 Chevrolet El Camino-06

I have one of the "Branding Iron" '82's I want to re-build. I had an '81 Royal Knight for a demonstator, and really liked that one. Maybe we can get Ray to scale down the 1/24 Scale decals to a set of 1/25. I want to do mine as a burgundy Royal Knight, like what is in the photo.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:55 AM, socal76 said:

One thing for the Gremlin I have not seen on your list (unless I just flat out missed it) was the Levi's version. Any plans for that or did I miss seeing it? And I am really looking forward to you getting that PDF file done. And curious why it started with RKD34 instead of the expected RKD1 or RKD01? But like I said in my earlier post, I can already tell my wallet will be a lot lighter very soon!

Ahh that's cause I'm a dolt and just ripped a section from my catalog and just... forgot to even ever include the rest. The grand total's currently sitting at over seventy, the PDF's gonna be popping up rather soon too! And is there a Levi's Gremlin that looks different on the outside? I included some Levi fender badges but that's about all I could find on the Levi's other than the upholstery being literally pants. Granted, AMC's one of those brands I wish I knew more about but never had the time to dig really deep into.

On 2/25/2018 at 2:12 PM, Can-Con said:

(snip)

God I would just about kill for a proper '78 El Camino kit from MPC, they're so ungodly rare these days(well not counting the promos, but even they run new kit prices and I gotta double that price to ship it my way) so I just based the sheet on the Monogram El Camino instead. Though I could just use the '86 El Camino kit for the 1/25th measurements, just really wanna build one of the friggin' 78s for myself >.>

The next thing on the El Camino list is to expand the sheets some with dashboard decals, grille Chevrolet badge and the reverse light section. Then I'm gonna finish up the Black Knight decals, downsize those to fit the MPC/AMT El Camino and do the same treatment to the '78 Super Sport and Royal Knight. Also for funsies, I love the stripes on the '87 Monte Carlo which I once tried to adapt onto a '86 El Camino to... mediocre success so I'm also gonna get me a set of inspired stripes started soon-ish.

Wrapped up all the Monte Carlo SS models from '83 through '88 for Monogram kits in 1/24th, now gonna work backwards to get some sheets going for the Trumpeter '78 Monte Carlo and the MPC '78-'80 Monte Carlos. Then continue downscaling the El Camino sheets for the MPC kits and craft up a GMC Caballero Diablo sheet while I'm at it(it's 90% the same as the El Camino anyhow). Also while I'm trying to get a catalog going, I can atleast post the index from 1 through 70-something, so there's that.

'83-'84 Monte Carlo SS:
8384montecarloss.jpg

'85-'86 Monte Carlo SS:
8586montecarloss.jpg

'87-'88 Monte Carlo SS:
8788montecarloss.jpg

And the catalog index:

Edited by echoxrayniner

Fantastic work. I'll probably be ordering from you in the future when I start on a few particular builds.

Are you creating these from the ground up in photoshop/Illustrator? How do you get those curves correct? Like the AAR Cuda strip or the curved decals that go around the wheel wells on the Monte SS?

--- Mike

On 3/11/2018 at 1:03 PM, MikeRousseau said:

Fantastic work. I'll probably be ordering from you in the future when I start on a few particular builds.

Are you creating these from the ground up in photoshop/Illustrator? How do you get those curves correct? Like the AAR Cuda strip or the curved decals that go around the wheel wells on the Monte SS?

--- Mike

Thanks! And yep, it's a whole lot of hand drawn stuff in Photoshop on high-as-sin resolution pictures and scans of the bodies of the models, along with a bunch of measurements and whatnot, but mostly just wrist-powered drawing and re-drawing it five hundred times to try and get the curves correct.

And some more additions:

'91-'92 Firebird Formula/Firehawk:
90-92firehawk.jpg

'82 Charger 2.2(bought some Shelby Daytona and Dodge Omni kits, figured I may as well do all of these along the Shelby models to join the already made Daytona Turbo sheet):
82charger2-2.jpg

'78 Caballero Diablo:
78caballerodiablo.jpg

'78-'88 Caballero 4.3(still in progress, gotta shave the wheel arches down some but its generally done):
78-88caballero.jpg

21 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

Thanks! And yep, it's a whole lot of hand drawn stuff in Photoshop on high-as-sin resolution pictures and scans of the bodies of the models, along with a bunch of measurements and whatnot, but mostly just wrist-powered drawing and re-drawing it five hundred times to try and get the curves correct.

You have more patience than I have! I tried once..scanning the side of a Dodge Charger..drawing the panel, print..cut out, test on side of car. The pain in the ass was the fact that the side of a car isnt flat, I gave up. I'd rather give my money to guys like you who are willing to do the work :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Some new stuffs including the overview pages, been trying to finish off the Aspen series. Just the '76 remains, but it's largely the same as the years that come after so that won't be too big a problem. Also my printer has decided to upgrade to screenprinting(on material that seems awful close to what the Japanese manufacturers have their decals printed on, it's nice and solid), which is friggin' fantastic as it allows me to just go full bore go-nuts-with-shaders RGB up to 900DPI(even 1200 but that's just silly) instead of having to draw everything one color at the time. However they're keeping the ALPS as well so I can guarantee crisp blacks and metallics along with all RGB based colors.

So now I split the colors and the black/silver met./gold met and sometimes the white, for example with the '83 Monte Carlo:
20180315_173840.jpg

Not to mention the colors are a hell of a lot better now, they're far clearer and even on solid black backgrounds they pop rather nicely. Working on a '78 Aspen R/T model at the moment and... I was pleasantly surprised at how well the color bleed is prevented now. So I got that going for me, or us if you will.

20180328_201000.jpg

Anyhow:

1979 Aspen R/T:
79aspen.jpg

1977 Aspen R/T:
77aspen.jpg

1974 Ventura GTO:
74venturagto.jpg

1997 Ford Explorer Limited(... I bought the AMT kit, sue me):
97fordexplorer.jpg

And the new overviews, pages 1 through 3 with all that's currently available and whats coming up soon:

page11.jpg

page21.jpg

page3.jpg

... Pretty picture intensive eh, whodathought! Also, just a heads-up: for some reason I can only reply to a handful of messages in my inbox. Whenever I reply to the vast majority, it just leads to an error page that it can't find the page. Weird stuff. So apologies for that, I'm not ignoring y'all I swear!

Edited by echoxrayniner

• 2 weeks later...

Right, update time. It's been a rather hefty GM week or two on this side of it all, for some reason I took a dive into the rabbit hole of wandering into Corvette territory. Slowly working backwards(and possibly forwards too) from the C4 Grand Sport(I adore the car so much and I wanted to give it a proper sheet as opposed to what Monogram offers with the convertible). Also wanted to do a companion '96 Chevy to the Grand Sport and figured with the weird aftermarket wheels the Revell '96 Impala comes with if you get the lowrider version, it would make a hell of a candidate. There's also a few new things on the horizon, I got a '81 Ford Mustang kit so I'm gonna be doing that particular line of '79-'84 Mustangs.

Anyhow!

1996 Corvette Grand Sport:
96corvettegs.jpg

1996 Impala SS Grand Sport(Custom):
96impalass_gs.jpg

1994-1996 Impala SS(without all the custom gubbins, the new 2018 kit still doesn't feature the friggin' Impala badges so this will help):
94impalass.jpg

1993 Beretta Z26:
93berettaz26.jpg

1987 Camaro IROC-Z28 20th Anniversary Edition:
87camaro20th.jpg

1992 Camaro Z28 Heritage Edition:
92camaroheritage.jpg

And as a bonus, a overview of the white letter tire decals I've crafted up:
wlt.jpg

Small update post:

'72 AMC Gremlin X:
72gremlinx.jpg

'80 Ford Bronco:
80bronco.jpg

On 4/12/2018 at 10:53 PM, Mr mopar said:

Still need those 72 Gremlin decal ! when do you think you have them in stock?

Hopefully before the end of the month, finished the design through the weekend with help from Casey's pics of a '72 Gremlin body, couldn't get the little vents done without it, hopefully they're gonna fit exactly right now. Now just have to wait for the printers to do their part of the job!

On 4/12/2018 at 8:53 PM, Kris Morgan said:

Very nice work. Might hit ya up soon to talk about having some decals made if that is ok.

By all means, just PM me!

Thanks and hell yeah, certainly will do! Also got my hands on a old '75 Camaro kit from MPC a few days back and I'm trying to wrap up all the editions through the seventies, gonna do a '74-'77 stripe set with the twin black(or silver, or white even) stripes running the hood and tail given thats actually kind of what I want to do with the kit myself. Love the '74 stripes that are absolutely massive but, y'know, more choice is more choice right. Also branched into the latest model Camaro, there's some Hurst and Hurst inspired editions that I'm gonna be covering(for instance, the gold wide stripe '17 Camaro).

1974 Camaro Z/28:
74camaroz28.jpg

1975 Camaro RS:
75camarors.jpg

1977 Camaro Z/28:
77camaroz28.jpg

2017 Camaro Hurst RPO-L78:
17camarohurstl78.jpg

1978 Firebird Trans Am(for @KWT) with all the engine call outs and whatnot in the various years' fonts:
78firebirdta.jpg

Also added a bunch of new white letter tires to the line-up, loads of Firestone goodies and whatnot.

Very nice as usual and you do great work with these decals.
But I'm still waiting on the upphostery pattern for the Thunderbolt rear seat and the valve cover and air cleaner decals for the Mopar Super Stock cars, I can't find them on your site.

• 3 weeks later...

Best I could do for the seat pattern on a hunch(I reckon they'll come out looking somewhat accurate, but there's no telling at the moment), I did the valve cover and air cleaner decals for the mid sixties MOPARs a while ago, if those are what you're after:

tboltseat.jpg

1974-1977 Chevrolet Camaro 1st Gen. inspired stripes:
74_77camaro.jpg

1970 Pontiac Bonneville 455:
70bonneville455.jpg

1977 Ford Mustang II Mach 1:
77mustangii.jpg

1970 Plymouth Duster 340:
70duster340.jpg

1971 Plymouth Duster 340/Twister(plus hood call-outs):
71duster_dustertwister.jpg

AMC Air Cleaner set:
69_79_amcaircl.jpg

And the updated white letter tire decal list:

wlt.jpg

Edited by echoxrayniner

23 minutes ago, echoxrayniner said:

Best I could do for the seat pattern on a hunch(I reckon they'll come out looking somewhat accurate, but there's no telling at the moment), I did the valve cover and air cleaner decals for the mid sixties MOPARs a while ago, if those are what you're after:

tboltseat.jpg

Yes it looks close, I think that will work fine.
Remember that you need two of the same valve cover decals for each engine.
I'm ready to order when they are available.

Edited by Force

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)