Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)

On 7/13/2018 at 1:52 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

I don't know if anyone else does these, but I like you're designs so keep these in mind,

Especially since you brought up Oldsmobiles and Chevelles....

898f44da6d3bc5977fb4587c28e1ba15-700.jpg.27b718fa9d04f5b02f5ac79720fee504.jpg

1699_1970_Oldsmobile_Rallye_350_Folder-02-03_low_res.jpg.01665660278bd16815473078b2caad9f.jpg

3489698284_5fd4e3bc3e.jpg.7eacb5989f460153a65aaf7f1cf82160.jpg

I know Fred Cady used to make the 442 W30 and Ralley 350, but since he's OOB and as far as I know, no one makes the stripes for the Laguna. Although, many builders have converted the race car into the stocker.

Again, I have a conversion done for the Ralley and the Laguna, but they need the stripes. 

I have a friend of mine restoring a 75 Laguna.He is also building a 1:1 model as a regular car,not the Pepsi NASCAR.Its all painted,but now he's trying to do the stripes,using pin stripping.He said he's having difficulty applying the stripes.So do you make any decals for the Laguna S3? 

On 10/19/2018 at 5:54 AM, DoctorLarry said:

Tell me what you want and I will take some pics!

Some side shots of the Can Am, LeMans and Grand Am with a ruler would be legendary - would literally allow me to nail it rather than vaguely work via similarly shaped Chevy's and Olds'. Also I've got this plan in mind to 3D model the rear valance(with the tail lights), a set of front fenders and a engine bay(albeit rough) to compliment the NASCAR kit so we can at least transform the Laguna S3 into a stock vehicle without too much hand-crafty works. Got a 3D printer on hand, just need to get to doing the 3D CAD work.

@Geno & @Mr mopar: Certainly can, added doing the '69 Charger R/T, 500 & Daytona to the list(along with Keith Black's Daytona) to the list so I've been doing a fair bit of tail-end wrap-around stripes. I've got the Monogram Super Bee already so the moment I get to it making that sheet won't be any trouble at all. Thanks for the idea, actually! Wish Hart's Parts wasn't literally only shipping to the US and Canada so I could also get in on making an R/T but... yeah, never gonna happen unless he goes worldwide.

Also, some updates and minor updates aside: I've had a birthday weekend so I've been away for the most part, with some computer time here and there. And orders have been piling up a bit in the meantime, especially since last week. I'm awaiting my paycheck to literally be able to afford to get everything send off to print, that's how many people I've got awaiting their stuff at the moment. So if you get a message/email sometime this week asking me to pay even though I don't actually have the physical print in hand yet, I apologize - it's getting nuts and need advance payments to see all of it being printed.

Anyway:

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 30th Anniversary Edition:
99FirebirdTA_30th-vi.jpg

1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am:
69FirebirdTA-vi.jpg

1970 Pontiac GTO "The Judge" Rally Stripes(1970 D98 option):
70GTO_TJ_RallyD98-vi.jpg

1978 Ford Mustang II King Cobra(I worked a stupendous amount of time on this, my God):
78MustangIIKingCobra-vi.jpg

1991 GMC Syclone Marlboro Edition(revamped):
91SycloneMarlboro-vi.jpg

4 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Great idea. But we can use decals for the Super Bee as well. The Revell/Monogram kit has decals with the Bee flying backwards, along with correct SIX PACK  decals for the hood.

Mike they fix that problem with the last 69' super bee kit .

1 hour ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Please consider adding the Revell 1970 Charger to your list. Everything is wrong on the Revell sheet, tail stripe doesn't have the peak in the middle, hood panels should have the 440 / Hemi lettering near the outside edge rather than centered and no pinstripe decals included.

like this.

573841-611-0.jpg

I concur with the fellas who posted above about a 70 Charger sheet.  I've gotten some stuff from Keith Marks, which worked pretty nice, but it wasn't made for that kit so the alignment on that stripe was a bit off.  Would be great to have someone make an accurate sheet dedicated to the kit.

Edited by Mr. Muppet

Right so since I'm away from my PC for a few days during the weekend(this month's been a busy one with a lot less PC time), gives me some time to come up with more ideas(even though I'm encroaching on 400 unique sets), the Charger should be a easy one for me to pull off, though if someone has a scan of the '70 Charger sheet to well, to put it bluntly, more or less copy off - can't argue with something that's 95% correct, would just need to add a notch to it. For the Chargers/Coronets here's what I've got planned down the line;

• 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T
  • 1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee
  • 1969 Dodge Charger 500
  • 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
  • 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona
  • 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona - Keith Black(with LA Orange County Dodge Dealership logos)
  • 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona - Keith Black(advertiser free)
  • 1970 Dodge Charger R/T - Door Pinstripes
  • 1970 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 & HEMI call-outs
  • 1971 Dodge Charger R/T
  • 1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
  • 1976 Dodge Charger Sport(the rare as hell Coronet/Fury-based one)
  • 1976 Dodge Charger Sport Custom
  • 1984 Dodge Shelby Charger
  • 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger
  • 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger GLHS

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, finished a bunch of the Charger sheets for the Revell kits, left pretty much all the emblems for the similar year models on each sheet, reckon folks like having extras/spares/etc. Still gotta do the Coronet R/T and Super Bees, the Daytonas, then onwards to the L-body Chargers and finally the Fury body Chargers.

In the meantime, I'm still working on the many mid-seventies GMs like the '73 LeMans GTO, '75 Laguna S3, '76 Cutlass 442 and so forth(thanks to DoctorLarry!). And also the gargantuan amount of emblems for the S-10/S-15/Jimmy series, the Dodge Ram series for the 1980s onwards and Adventurer series for the 1970s kits. And the '81 Bronco Freewheeling for the Revell/Monogram Bronco, just to finish the set and cause I love that Bronco kit. Also quick question, did they lower the side marker light on the Dodge Charger kit? I compared the stripes for the '70 and '69 and the side markers sit at a fair bit higher for some reason even though from my half-fried brain's view it looks like they sit identically high. Either way I just left the position the same from the 1970 design down to the '69, if it turns out to be wrong I'll just correct it quickly.

Anyway!

1969 Dodge Charger R/T:
69ChargerRT-vi.jpg

1969 Dodge Charger 500:
69Charger500-vi.jpg

1969 Dodge Charger 440 "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" with extra engine call-outs(to join the Gone in 60 Seconds '71 Charger):
arger440RT_DirtyMaryCrazyLarry-vi.jpg

1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440:
70ChargerRT_440-vi.jpg

1970 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI:
70ChargerRT_HEMI-vi.jpg

1970 Dodge Charger C-Stripe/Pinstripe:
70ChargerRT_Cstripe-vi.jpg

1980 Ford Pinto Wagon "Squire"(tribute):
80PintoWagonStallion-vi.jpg

Besides the one random Ford Pinto... This one's for the MOPAR lovers I suppose!

Edit: Coming to think of it, I should just begin making a sheet with license plates per state - I just noticed I friggin' near got every plate and state from 1969 through 1985 covered. Reckon anyone'd be interested?

Edited by echoxrayniner

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Nov 13th, last post)
12 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

1969 Dodge Charger 440 "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" with extra engine call-outs(to join the Gone in 60 Seconds '71 Charger):
arger440RT_DirtyMaryCrazyLarry-vi.jpg

Once again, here's an upgrade on the plates for you - correct font, stickers on rear only, and they can be used for the Death Proof Charger as well:

5beba526df754_dmcldpcharger.jpg.5d8ba82052ef53fff0dee2938791a9e7.jpg5beba527ef12e_dmcldpchargerrear.jpg.6031a334f82151af684637dc216b89c2.jpg

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Once again, here's an upgrade on the plates for you - correct font, stickers on rear only, and they can be used for the Death Proof Charger as well:

5beba526df754_dmcldpcharger.jpg.5d8ba82052ef53fff0dee2938791a9e7.jpg5beba527ef12e_dmcldpchargerrear.jpg.6031a334f82151af684637dc216b89c2.jpg

8 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

Ah balls I always forget the registration stickers only go on one plate for California! Appreciated!

Life-long California resident here ---- let me shed some light on a bit of history of the licence plates of this state (at least from 1963-1988) 

For an instance : the '938 DAN' plates : the "D" = 1971-issue . These blue / gold plates were issued starting around 01/01/1970 ; aside from the colour change , there were other subtle changes versus their 1969 & earlier relatives :

- The fonts of " I " "O" and "Q" changed 

- The series swapped to numeric-alpha arrangement 

- Personalised / Vanity plates were introduced ( I've heard that those started in 1974 ) 

- "MONTH" stickers started on 01/01/1976 . Prior to 1976 , two "YEAR" stickers were employed (see the sample above which ChrisBcritter provided ) 

- 7-character plates were introduced in c.1980 . Plates' arrangement was changed to numeric-alpha-numeric ( example : "1KWU396" ) 

- Commercial plates changed from black / gold to blue / gold in c.1972 . 

** I WILL EDIT THIS POST LATER TODAY AS I HAVE TO LEAVE FOR WORK NOW . I JUST WANTED TO GET SOME INFO OUT THERE FOR YOU GUYS TO WORK WITH **

• 2 weeks later...

Man that Charger is gorgeous! Also I've finally gotten around to delving into 3D printing and resin casting spare parts/improved parts, on top of trying to re-learn friggin' 3D CAD. Between that and massive amounts of work I've been trying to squeeze out some designs - the Pontiac A-bodies are finally getting their turn. As well as something I have no idea why I've fallen in love with; the dingy, forgotten Plymouth Scamp and Dodge Ramcharger, you know - that thing based on the new Charger L-body. I've been working on getting a bed designed, as well as an elongated frame to work with... I know I could use my time in far better ways, on far better cars but I don't quite know why this thing has grabbed me the way it did. I'm doing literally every livery the thing came in as well as scratch-designing the bed.

1981 Ford Bronco Free Wheelin':
81BroncoFW-vi.jpg

1981 Ford Bronco XLS "Lion in Winter" Prototype:
81BroncoXLS-vi.jpg

1982 Plymouth Scamp GT:
82ScampGT-vi.jpg

1983 Plymouth Scamp GT:
83ScampGT-vi.jpg

1973 Pontiac LeMans GTO(thanks to @DoctorLarry):
1973LeMansGTO-vi.jpg

1973 Pontiac LeMans "Formula X" Prototype:
1973LeMansFormulaX-vi.jpg

1973 Pontiac LeMans GT Sport Coupe:
1973LeMansGTSportCoupe-vi.jpg

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Nov 29th, last post)
1 hour ago, echoxrayniner said:

1981 Ford Bronco XLS "Lion in Winter" Prototype:
81BroncoXLS-vi.jpg

Looks good! I will remind you and others that this stripe scheme was only on the black Broncos and the white portion should be silver,  there were also versions for a red body (black and silver stripes), a silver body (red and black stripes), and a blue body (medium blue and light blue stripes). Like I had mentioned before, it would be cool if you would offer longer versions and in the other color schemes so an F150 XLS flareside, short-wide, and long-wide could be made!

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)