Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)

On 11/29/2018 at 2:36 PM, Jordan White said:

Looks good! I will remind you and others that this stripe scheme was only on the black Broncos and the white portion should be silver,  there were also versions for a red body (black and silver stripes), a silver body (red and black stripes), and a blue body (medium blue and light blue stripes). Like I had mentioned before, it would be cool if you would offer longer versions and in the other color schemes so an F150 XLS flareside, short-wide, and long-wide could be made!

Ahh, I only had some horrible pictures and that one particular Ford ad from 1981 to work with on which they all looked white, but of course - metallic silver tends to look white when reflecting light, hah - fixed it! As for the other color schemes, I just run the preview in one color, I can print 'em in just about any shade desired. On top of that, I am working on the normal version for the lack of a better term that fits the regular F150 and flareside trucks with both lengths on there at once - just awaiting the Monogram kit to get here so I can get it designed proper, always hard to work with rounded angles.

18 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

Amazing work-when can we order?

Right now if you'd like! I based 'em on both the '75 Cutlass and the '73 Grand Am pictures you provided so I'm not 100% certain they fit absolutely perfectly, but I got a good feeling about it. I'm working on the '77 Can Am at the moment, down to the little stripes on the wing mirrors.

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I found this one online - sadly, didn't quite make it. ?

download.jpg.75b7779ef049589f53d9bf9ddc96cc09.jpg

Awh man... Well I've gotten enough source material plus a Ford Econoline kit to actually do the decals for the Denimachine. Decided I'd just do the white flames as a decal, I think that would be the nicest middle ground in terms of the body, otherwise folks would have to match two paints to the print. On top of the '77 Chevy G20 "Wild Cherry" van I'm doing, it'll be a whole, whole lot of work to replicate the Denimachine but I reckon it'll be a fun one to apply in the end.

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Nov 29th)
2 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

Ahh, I only had some horrible pictures and that one particular Ford ad from 1981 to work with on which they all looked white, but of course - metallic silver tends to look white when reflecting light, hah - fixed it! As for the other color schemes, I just run the preview in one color, I can print 'em in just about any shade desired. On top of that, I am working on the normal version for the lack of a better term that fits the regular F150 and flareside trucks with both lengths on there at once - just awaiting the Monogram kit to get here so I can get it designed proper, always hard to work with rounded angles.

Good to hear! B)

They helped a bit actually, the trunk spoiler stripe as well as the license plate surround was a bit of a guess on my end using a ton of pictures from for sale Can Ams as well as using some vaguely similar model kits. Also I figured I'd include both the thick outline and thin outline Can Am logos given they might be a bit hard to spot, cause why not just add both. Also both 6.6 LITRE and T/A 6.6 shaker decals, the chrome door and rear fender trim and LeMans Super Coupe emblems for completions' sake.

1977 Pontiac LeMans Can Am:
77LeMansCanAm-vi.jpg

@DoctorLarry: You mean just have the red inner stripe in yellow, sort of like this? Anything's possible! And don't mean to bankrupt ya' hah, can't help it, especially with your resin bodies in the world!
doclarry.jpg

@Merkur XR4Ti: I've actually got that one on my to-do list, along with the '72 Ranchero GT(both color fade and over the fender stripe versions, the colors folks can just ask for as any color is possible) - the only issue I have is matching it to the Jo-Han and/or Motor City Resin '72 Torino body. Unless I feel like chalking up 50 bucks for a NASCAR kit I'd never build just to get in the neighborhood. Anyone got one of those kits lying around they could perhaps do some side-body shots of? I'd love to do the Torino line through the seventies along with the Rancheros, already got the groundwork for the '70 GT, Cobra and King Cobra.

Also I've been working on the Denimachine for the past entire two days, holy mother of God it's a ton of work. Apparently Hot Rod Mag did two versions as well, one for Canada and one for the USA which have subtle yet big differences, to name a few that are being a right pain in the rear; the stitch effect is completely different on both versions, one has rivets and one doesn't, the stitching pattern and locations are different as are the flames, the credits on the sliding door, the friggin' Denimachine logos themselves are different, so forth. So I've resorted to doing four versions of the Denimachine(and I'm swamped with work, both on this and at my actual work, plus Christmas, go figure). Both the USA and Canadian versions in their respective E150 Custom size and the AMT E150 Chateau short-frame version for both as well. I'm already hand-crafting the whole stitching effect and most the flame effects, so shortening it all for the short frame isn't too much extra work. Once those are done, it's back to the seventies muscle cars and the handful of custom requests I've had piling up due to my inability to sort and time stuff out properly. Did manage to get a few more sheets done in the past week, specifically one for the recently re-released AMT Monaco, did the Brougham and the Brougham 2-door.

1978 Dodge Monaco Brougham:
78MonacoBrougham-vi.jpg

1978 Dodge Monaco Brougham 2-door/Coupe:
78MonacoBrougham2Door-vi.jpg

It's 1AM, but its weekend so back to work!

Edited by echoxrayniner

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Dec 15th)
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, echoxrayniner said:

They helped a bit actually, the trunk spoiler stripe as well as the license plate surround was a bit of a guess on my end using a ton of pictures from for sale Can Ams as well as using some vaguely similar model kits. Also I figured I'd include both the thick outline and thin outline Can Am logos given they might be a bit hard to spot, cause why not just add both. Also both 6.6 LITRE and T/A 6.6 shaker decals, the chrome door and rear fender trim and LeMans Super Coupe emblems for completions' sake.

1977 Pontiac LeMans Can Am:
77LeMansCanAm-vi.jpg

Quite lovely indeed !  Of course , the portion of this sheet which stands out to me is its Michigan '76 licence plates ! Have you considered making a sheet of licence plates ? 

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Dec 22nd)

@1972coronet: Thanks! I have considered it a few times, lord knows I've gotten most the states covered for one year or another by now, but I keep hitting the crossroads of "should I do every plate from a state across the years or should I do every plate of a year/period from X to Y", reckon I might be doing the Bicentennial Plates for certain though given I've gotten most of those done. Guess in the end it depends on which plates people want the most!

And a small update before the Christmas/New Years pause rolls around, got the first of the two Denimachines finished. I haven't got a friggin' clue how well the fit is for the main flame decals but we'll find out soon enough. Now I gotta do the stitching, the main Denimachine logo and the sponsor list for the US version, here we go. On top of that, I'm buying the '72 Ranchero resin kit from Motor City Resin any day now to give myself a in on the '72-'73 Torinos for decal sheets as well as having a Ranchero kit to build cause lawdy they're a sexy bunch of cars - did do the '76 and '79 GTs. Currently also actively working on the '73 and '75 El Camino SS, the '78 Black Knight and a re-do of the '78 Royal Knight with engine decals, dash, so forth.

1977 Ford Econoline 150 "Denimachine" - Canadian Edition:
7EconolineDenimachine_Canadian-vi.jpg

1976 Ford Ranchero GT:
76RancheroGT-vi.jpg

1979 Ford Ranchero GT:
79RancheroGT-vi.jpg

First - what an incredible range of thoughtfully considered topics and beautifully rendered graphics you've created...

Being selfish, I too would desire certain topics and would hope you or others might ponder the following:

• Fred Cady did a huge range of 1:25th scale Sports Car Club of American Trans American Sedan Championship sheets, albeit he never did graphics or a sheet for the Ronnie Kaplan/Javelin Racing Team '68 or '69 Trans Am Javelins run in that series.  Oh - how lovely if such were afforded!  See first below is one of the '68 entries:

25f7315784b1a219b82556dc42953eb7.jpg.ac035dae8afee2afcd4264e399973291.jpg

...and then one of the '69 entries if you will:

1487895_10202896082105049_3508918032099232849_o.thumb.jpg.d9b291c3f67cbe41071c416117c3a38f.jpg

• In 1:20th scale, the MPC 1:20th American Motors AMX can either be done as a solid color, or at the discretion and for application of the owner, as a 'Shadow Mask' car.  I don't know if anyone has worked up and/or sells proper stripes to do this topic in an admittedly unusual scale.  
  • ...and finally, are any select graphics available in 1:18th scale?  I have some '69 AMX's that surely could use air cleaner decals after the lids are copied and cast in resin, and subsequently chrome plated.  While 1:18th scale demand might be light on this message board, further afield one could make a modest business case for tackling select topics.   I realize that the size of the decal sheets used would be a factor surely, but all the same, with a price adjustment for extra labor and a bit of creativity might something be possible?

...kind thanks for your consideration of this message and what few ideas it contains.

Mike K./Swede70

• 2 weeks later...

@swede70: Anything's possible, I upscaled some stuff for the 1/20th scale AMX kit so I can always work with that scale if need be, I've never done any T/A stuff yet though as it's not really my field but I've been doing request after request of things I've never touched before so if there's something specific you'd want me to do just lemme know. Though should warn that I'm miles behind on requests so it'll be a bit of wait if you do.

@charger74: I'm definitely going to now I've seen it, I purchased the '77 Pacer Wagon kit with the plans to do the wood panel decals for it, but oh man that delightfully 1970s interior has to get done too.

Also I've had a bit of a Christmas break of give or take two weeks, desperately catching up on emails and orders now so I'll get it done ASAP. Also done some work during the holidays, not a whole lot, primarily El Caminos for various years. Re-did the whole '78 El Camino sheet to include interior decals and better stripes(at the very least wanted to do the tri-color set up instead of the single). Doing the '70 El Camino also opened up the doors for the '67-'76 Chevrolet Air Cleaners and a '70-'72 Chevelle sheet as well, as the El Camino basically shares what, 99% of the sticker work. Also kicked off the start of the license plate bonanza, gonna be doing more of those.

1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS:
70ElCaminoSS-vi.jpg

1973 Chevrolet El Camino SS:
73ElCaminoSS-vi.jpg

1976 Chevrolet El Camino SS:
76ElCaminoSS-vi.jpg

1978 Chevrolet El Camino Royal Knight:
78ElCaminoRoyalKnight-vi.jpg

1978 Chevrolet El Camino Black Knight:
78ElCaminoBlackKnight-vi.jpg

1976 US Bicentennial License Plates:
76CentennialPlates-vi.jpg

I actually really enjoyed making the license plates, not to mention I kinda already do for just about every set - so if there's a state and/or province that really is desired lemme know and I'll prioritize that one.

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Jan 6th)

FYI - I'm not sure if your Ranchero GT decals are like this but...

The side and rear panels have color in the middle with a separate black border.

The Ranchero 500 is the model with the aluminum tailgate panel in black and silver.

I own a 75 GT, so I know the details well.

Look on "Dearborn Classics" website for detail pictures. 

59703_96c23351db_low_res.jpg.482b2ad4ddb05236de92fc557da23c82.jpg

5c3593bca8ec4_1974FordRancheroGT0.5tonSedanPickupback.jpg.833bfa0b17356df72c075dbddc3db212.jpg

0.jpg.282de5bd723f469939b3d6cf49c06a66.jpg

1976-Ford-Ranchero-classic-trucks--Car-100966618-c79e9c476ba05be24debba61b38134db.jpg.39f30736799268858890b3053ae5320d.jpg

On 1/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, echoxrayniner said:

1976 US Bicentennial License Plates:
76CentennialPlates-vi.jpg

NJ, your master for the '76 Illinois plate looks excellent! Only the font needs a bit of work. See if you can use this:

5c36d724e1b30_IL1976.jpg.2bf731441ad90c12aacdb4205121d2fd.jpg

I had to modify the R to match the original plate font, and the rest is as close as you can get.

Great job on these and I hope I can help!

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)