Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)

On 4/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, gtx6970 said:

Ray, Any chance these decals can be done with a white side stripe and WITHOUT the R/T lettering cut in ?

70challengerrt.jpg

I second the motion for the option of white stripes, and also would like to suggest maybe a set in white and black of these R/T stripes too and for both the 70 and the 2009.

ebay141385030048932.jpg.080e8a0d6c67597cf96010feba6fbbf8.jpg

3.jpg.ad056ab5029bcaefd0073dfa56169376.jpg

@Mr mopar I reckon I should be good to go again from this weekend, so holler at me what you'd like and I'll get on it! Time to put that massive break behind me and get crackin' again.

@Len Woodruff Just drop me a message here what you'd like to have!

@highway I've had like five sets for the new Challenger planned out for a lifetime now, even got started on a few of 'em. The R/T stripes, 2009 Redline Edition, 2010 Hurst/HEMI Special Edition, Mr Norms Hurst Heritage Edition, Mr Norms Challenger GSS(and GSS-R) and some others. When it comes to the old Challengers, I've still got four more in the works(and are close to being finished), that particular R/T stripe, the '71 R/T with the logo on the hood, '72 Rallye and '78 Colt Challenger R/T(the Mitsubishi Gallant badge engineered one). About colors though, generally these are just previews - any color's possible, besides green as for some inexplicable reason the printers the company uses just make any shade of green dull as can be. I always have to compile every file by hand so I tend to just ask people when they request things what colors they want 'em in, just in case!

@Fish_65 I try to do all the engine call-out emblems for sheet I do, if a model allows it of course. Like for the 'Cuda and Challenger, I got everything from 340 through the 440 and if I ever get around to doing older Camaros, you can bet I'll do every size from the 200s through the 427. And speaking of the Dodge D-100, I'm so excited to do so many sheets, as there's so ungodly many to do. Hell, even that Dude II version of which I can't find anything but a grainy low rez picture, but it'll be worth it. Though the downside is, I still haven't been able to find a MPC D100 kit for under 35$. Shipping's always over 25$ and if it's over 24$ I gotta pay 20$ import so the kit quickly becomes 75 bucks for me if I'm unlucky >.<

But! Despite it all, I'm using the Lil' Red Express as a template to at least do the front end of some sets instead of sitting idle. Gotta upscale some emblems though, but the groundwork's there!

adventurer.jpg

And to Kurt, that's actually a good idea - offer a bunch of little tribute decals that folks could request as little space fillers. Had a fair bit of interest for Cannonball, Nurburgring, Can Am Run and such logos for folks, having one for the BBORR wouldn't be a bad idea either. And to the rest, I think this is a good a time as any to get back at printing again. Recuperated a fair bit, sorted out the money issues a bit and whatever hassle's coming at me is still a few months away so yeah, let's get back at it again! As for the updates, my PC fully died on me a week or two ago and I lost a ton of progress as I discovered I hadn't uploaded to my backup for weeks by that time. Still though, I scavenged some stuff and got some progress done on the Mustang series and the odd Cutlass. I lost all my progress on revamping the '84 Hurst/Olds, the Challengers, a custom set for the '78 Oldsmobile Delta 88, '69 Mustang Mach 1 and TASCA Super Boss 429, like forty hours worth of commissions and likely a handful more as I open older files and realize ooohh goodie, these are two months old.I did most of the fox body Mustang, all besides like four - though I am actively working on doing the Indy Pace Car as we speak. Will say though, doing the 1979 and 1980 Cobras was a handful of work, holy moly. I had like no source material to work with, this was 9 photos overlaid and stretched to weird angles to try and accurately replace them both. Was also fun discovering the 1979 and 1980 Cobra designs were just about entirely different from each other. On top of that, did nearly every dealership version I could figure out existed like the Dominator, Predator and eventually the CFD-25 LX Mustang, kinda neat discovering all of these existing.

Apologies for the quick follow up post, but the forum is having that absolutely joyous 404 error again on every friggin' post so I'm chopping this one in half in hopes of it working.

1979 Ford Mustang Cobra:
79MustangCobra-vi.jpg

1980 Ford Mustang Cobra:
80MustangCobra-vi.jpg

1984 Ford Mustang GT350 25th Anniversary:
84MustangGT350_20thAnniversary-vi.jpg

1985 Ford Mustang GT:
85MustangGT-vi.jpg

1985 Ford Mustang GT Dominator:
84MustangDominatorGT-vi.jpg

1985 Ford Mustang GT Twister II:
85MustangGTTwisterII-vi.jpg

1985 Ford Mustang Predator GT302(with Twister II options):
85MustangGT302Predator-vi.jpg

1985 Ford Mustang Predator GT302-H / GT302-R:
85MustangPredatorGT302H_GT302R-vi.jpg

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442(for the Jo-Han kit):
70Cutlass442-vi.jpg

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Rallye 350(for the Jo-Han kit as well, updated the previous version to pack more details and... look better.)
70CutlassRallye350-vi.jpg

Edited by echoxrayniner

2 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

@Fish_65 I try to do all the engine call-out emblems for sheet I do, if a model allows it of course. Like for the 'Cuda and Challenger, I got everything from 340 through the 440 and if I ever get around to doing older Camaros, you can bet I'll do every size from the 200s through the 427. And speaking of the Dodge D-100, I'm so excited to do so many sheets, as there's so ungodly many to do. Hell, even that Dude II version of which I can't find anything but a grainy low rez picture, but it'll be worth it. Though the downside is, I still haven't been able to find a MPC D100 kit for under 35$. Shipping's always over 25$ and if it's over 24$ I gotta pay 20$ import so the kit quickly becomes 75 bucks for me if I'm unlucky >.<

It's great that you include several different engine call outs with the decal sets, but I was thinking about a single decal sheet with a multi-brand mixture of just engine call out emblems.

Do you have a LRE kit ? I might be able to help out on getting you a longbox bed if that helps. Pretty sure I have a spare from an older issue.

These look great! If you had the time, I'd certainly be in the market for a generic sheet of dash instruments, including a bunch of Smiths and Jaeger gauges for European exotics -- speedos to various MPH/KPH, with and without tell tales, rev counters to 8 and 10K with various redlines,  oil, fuel and temperature gauges, ammeters... maybe some heater controls and radios?

There are plenty of such things in 1/32 and 1/48 for aircraft of different vintages, but I'm not aware of any for cars...

best,

M.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 12:38 PM, echoxrayniner said:

Apologies for the quick follow up post, but the forum is having that absolutely joyous 404 error again on every friggin' post so I'm chopping this one in half in hopes of it working.

1979 Ford Mustang Cobra:
79MustangCobra-vi.jpg

1980 Ford Mustang Cobra:
80MustangCobra-vi.jpg

Do you have either of these in green? I want to do a black one with the green trim. That thing was just badass looking. (The '80 stripes look like the ones I want.) 

I want to restore/rescue/re-do this one. The markings on it are stickers. 

81Cobra02.jpg.39474292db3fd8c428f574b9d783b6f1.jpg

Edited by Snake45

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, echoxrayniner said:

Though the downside is, I still haven't been able to find a MPC D100 kit for under 35$. Shipping's always over 25$ and if it's over 24$ I gotta pay 20$ import so the kit quickly becomes 75 bucks for me if I'm unlucky >.<

AFAIK you're in the Netherlands. If that's correct, Toyman (Gerrit is his first name) has it for 32 euros:

http://www.toyman.nl/index.html

And I see Tom's Modelauto's has it too (pre-order) for 32 euros too:

https://www.toms.nl/

Rob

PS: Gerrit will also search / import kits that you ask for, so maybe he can help you with other kits on your list.

Edited by robdebie

I would definitely be a buyer for any Mustang sheets, especially 71-73 sets in black and silver.  There's one area that seems to be carried over from the Cady days - the bottom of the Mach's were painted with black or pewter (silver) and on the non -chrome trim cars the was a pinstripe just above the paint line.  I doubt any decal would lay down on the lower curved part of the body so making a decal for that area seems unnecessary.  The body pictured has the molded in chrome trim and was painted black.  Also, the layout of the ram-air hood paint has more of a curvature than what Marks sells.  I think you got the rear trunk decals spot on - they are pretty narrow and the Cady/Marks ones are too wide.  Keep up the great work I am cannot wait to buy some.

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5162.PNG

Edited by vamach1

On 8/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, Force said:

Well that might be true, but his contact information is at his Fotki album, look at the top and you'll find his email and website.

That might be so, but if the man says (in his blog) that is is not taking orders, I take his word for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Might as well clear it up a bit, Peteski's totally spot on - I'm out of printing for a bit, had a hell of a financial hurdle tripping me up the last month and still kinda recovering from it, as well saving up for a house for the girlfriend and I is all getting in the way. Generally, it should pay for itself but I always think of the risk management, so lets say something gets lost or isn't up to snuff, I'd obviously give the person the money back and I'm not gonna lie, at this moment I'd have to disappoint everyone temporarily instead of becoming the guy who hoards unhappy customer's money. Though I really don't wanna stop, holy balls I enjoy finding obscure as **** cars and going over it, turning it into a decal sheet for someone to use, so I'm just growing the catalog and revamping older sets while I sit idle.

Like I finished eight of the Scout II line-up from '76 through '80, two obscure as sin Pintos, three different types of actually correct BRAT stripes and also the '70 GSX and Gran Sport, cause why not. And more even.

And thanks Rob de Bie, you beautiful soul ❤️! Those Dodge D100/Adventurer sets will finally see the light of day afterall. Also, to Vanmach1 - appreciate the heads up, I'm fixing the ram air hood stripes to have a far, far wider outline and you might be right on the rocker cover trim as well.

1978 Subaru BRAT GL 4x4(early type) - With a better, more accurate dashboard
78BRAT GL 4x4

1978 Subaru BRAT GL 4x4(late type)
78BRAT GL 4x4 LateType

1979 Subaru BRAT GL 4x4 - Should mention, the seat inlays are all red across the three previews but I got the gray/blue, yellow/black and green/gray patterns as well
79BRAT GL 4x4

1985 Ford Mustang SVO
85MustangSVO

1978 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner
78Roadrunner

1970 Buick Skylark GSX
70SkylarkGSX

1970 Buick Skylark Gran Sport
70SkylarkGranSport

1977 Ford Pinto "Accent Stripe Group"(based on the MPC '77 Pinto Runabout kit, not the newly released AMT one though... it should fit)
77Pinto AccentStripePackage

1977 Ford Pinto "Special Value Package"(same as the previous Pinto)
77Pinto SpecialValuePackage

1976 International Scout II "Spirit of '76" Bicentennial Edition(with wheel trim decals)
76 ScoutII SpiritOf76

1977 International Scout II Rallye
77ScoutII Rallye

1977 International Scout II Traveler/Rallye
77 ScoutII TravelerRallye

1977 International Scout SS II(with correct art, as well as the two rear decals - also it's yellow on the image but on print it'll be metallic gold)
77 ScoutSSII

1978 International Scout II Traveler "Midas Edition"
78ScoutII TravelerMidas

1978 International Scout II Rallye
78ScoutII Rallye

1979 International Scout SS II "Midas Edition"
79 ScoutMidasSSII

1980 International Scout SS II Hurst "Shawnee Scout"(I wouldn't be surprised if no-one knows what the hell this edition is, apparently only like 3 exist)
80 ScoutSSII HurstShawneeScout

So, I still do the designing part of the ordeal just the actual printing's ceased for a bit. Also, yeeeaaahh that was a whole lot of Scout huh.

Edited by echoxrayniner