Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)

Alright update time:

@MrObsessiveI got the regular shape fitted up to the specs you provided so it should be a snug little fit and I figured while I'm at it, I'd make one that actually fills the space some more, might look better. I'll just include 'em both, no problemo.

amx390_new.jpg

For the rest, got around to finishing up the masks for the Firebird series in 1/25th, masks for the '93 through '02, including the center bezel masks. May start doing this for more kits, like the '98-'02 Camaro for instance, seems a nice quality of life enhancer I reckon.

firebirdlights.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

And expanding the MOPAR air cleaner sheet somewhat more, trying to include the air cleaner instruction decals(little yellow/red ones) which I honestly do not know what the hell quality they'll come from the printer with, but worth a shot. Gonna get around to having all of the stuff printed soon! But for the time being, trying to get a decent way to get the Lear Siegler interior detail on there without compromising the Camaro script that I just cannot for the life of me prevent from pixilating to a right mess at such low scale(doesn't help that MPC's casts of the interiors are nothing short of ****) and I may just have to buy a whole AMT '83 Camaro kit just to get accurate fits and sizes going.

19 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

Alright update time:

@MrObsessiveI got the regular shape fitted up to the specs you provided so it should be a snug little fit and I figured while I'm at it, I'd make one that actually fills the space some more, might look better. I'll just include 'em both, no problemo.

amx390_new.jpg

Lookin’ excellent NJ!! PM sent! ??

Got the earlier 1960 through '67 air cleaner decals with air cleaner instructions and MOPAR oil filter decals on the sheet headed for the printer along with all of the Firebird tail light masks and the AMX-390 decals and began working on some commissions folks requested, like a '71 Demon sheet based on the old '71 Duster MPC kit and finally managed to get the Lear Siegler contour for the Camaro somewhat reasonable. Separated the Camaro logos from the colors, should look a ton better this way.

Now to get '81-'82 Camaro Z/28 stripes done, then the '77-'79 Nova SS and inbetween scratch make a Ed Terry 1965 Mustang sheet, renovate a old Jo-Han Pinto sheet and form a '71 GTX sheet in 1/25th scale. Busy Christmas comin' up!

1971dodgedemon340.jpg
learsieg.jpg

On 1/3/2018 at 1:59 PM, Zen said:

Dang it, should of waited with my order and added the 2 above. Oh well, will have to buy some more.

Zen

Ahh dont worry, it takes two weeks between completion and getting the actual prints, so there's a fair bit of waiting regardless. If I had the printer myself I'd have 'em but sadly I rely on outside folks for it D:

And between 4 projects, managed to wrap one up; the '78 Dodge Aspen Super Coupe:
1978aspensupercoupepreview.jpg

12 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

Ahh dont worry, it takes two weeks between completion and getting the actual prints, so there's a fair bit of waiting regardless. If I had the printer myself I'd have 'em but sadly I rely on outside folks for it D:

And between 4 projects, managed to wrap one up; the '78 Dodge Aspen Super Coupe:
1978aspensupercoupepreview.jpg

If these are printed on Alps printer, if you used metallic silver ink undercoat (instead of white) for the taillights and marker lights, that would give them a nice metallic color (imitating the real lenses). But some Alps printers have problem printing any color over metallic, so that might not work.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

If these are printed on Alps printer, if you used metallic silver ink undercoat (instead of white) for the taillights and marker lights, that would give them a nice metallic color (imitating the real lenses). But some Alps printers have problem printing any color over metallic, so that might not work.

Ohh I should get around to asking about that given they're done on an Alps, it would improve the tail lights and the side marker lights a helluva lot and make 'em look a lot less fake-ish. Also Christ, I forgot about the '78 Aspen's front chin spoiler stripes. Woops!

One thought about the Trans Am sheet.

You should include 4 "Trans Am" name decals. Then if someone wants to do a regular T/A, they can as they have one name on each bumper and one on each front fender right above the vent. They're all the same size also. 

On 1/8/2018 at 5:57 PM, Can-Con said:

One thought about the Trans Am sheet.

You should include 4 "Trans Am" name decals. Then if someone wants to do a regular T/A, they can as they have one name on each bumper and one on each front fender right above the vent. They're all the same size also. 

They're all the same size? Hmm that's actually a really good idea then, I'll add two more T/A logos. I'm adding onto the sheet for funsies and upon requests anyway, thanks for the suggestion! Added the option for a digital dash(I dont know why, I just really like 'em), wheel emblems, a separate set of dials for those who want the gray-with-black-grid type and the extra set of T/As.

firebird_addons.png

Also cause I bought a MPC Daytona kit for some reason, I figured I'd brew up some fictional yet mostly real/inspired decals;

daytonaturbopreview.jpg

And now back to work! Struggling a bit to patch up a set of old Jo-Han Pinto decals that were damaged quite badly.

2002firebird.jpg

77aspensc.jpg

77pacerx.jpg?ssl=1&w=800

Edited by echoxrayniner

Couple of more updates! For whatever reason I can't seem to stop making Firebird stuff and I always liked the unique last-of-its-kind Firebird from '02 so I crafted up a sheet for it. And I'm working on an AMC Pacer X build so I thought, why not add onto it and I finally got around to finishing the '78 Aspen Super Coupe. Also for those who were interested, I finally got some of the stuff I send to the printers; a handful of the '60-'67 MOPAR air cleaner and valve cover decals, two sets of the Camaro IROC-Z set(in black/silver and red/black), the '71 Dodge Demon 340/Sizzler and a '87 Firebird GTA set.

I can't for the life of me upload pictures, no matter the format, no matter the way or source - to this particular post so either refer to the one above or the first page to find the three pictures.

Edited by echoxrayniner

• 2 weeks later...

Moar updates! Been working on some kits here and there, and got myself a few old MPC Volare promos to test-fire a bunch of stuff on sooooo... I reckon the whole Volare/Aspen line's gonna be done.

'89-'91 Chevrolet S-10 Baja:
89bajas10.jpg

'74 AMC Gremlin X:
amcgremlin1.jpg

'78 Volare Super Coupe:
78volaresc.jpg

'78 Dodge Aspen R/T:
78aspenrt.jpg

Also, I've branched out somewhat and uh... I figured I'd get a boatload of white letter tire decals for off-road tires in 1/24th scale, given I've got like six EXTREMELY similar Monogram 1/24th kits that all have the same tires:
wlt_prev.jpg

Mud King XT Steel Radial, BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A and Mud Terrain T/A, Goodyear Wrangler, Mudstar Radial M/T, Hercules Terra Trac M/T & Bridgestone Dueler A/T

Edited by echoxrayniner

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly will do, the sheets I've ordered apparently got lost in the mail(besides one which I had delivered by UPS, huzzah) so I'm stuck waiting for the friggin' replacements... Also I'm in the process of trying to design underhood decals, the ridiculously small ones are harder than I expected(the white bleeds into the black easily and makes it all incredibly muddy) but they'll be done soon! Well, for MOPAR at least. Anyway, some updates:

'66-'73 MOPAR Showroom Plates:
mopar_plates.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

1992 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP:
92grandprixgtp.jpg

1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am:
85transam.jpg

1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350:
88formula350.jpg

1988 BMW M5 E34:
bmwm5.jpg

1978 Chevrolet El Camino Royal Knight(still in progress, for the most part)
elcaminoroyalknight.jpg

And here's what I got coming up rather soon, I'm working on getting a nice little PDF catalog going on that has the whole library in a bit of a... more structured sense.

RKD34: ’66-’73 MOPAR Showroom License Plates(1/25)
RKD35: AMC Air Cleaner Decals(’68-’78)(1/25)
RKD36: 1970 Pontiac Bonneville(1/25)
RKD37: 1988 BMW M5 E34(1/24)
RKD38: 1988 BMW M5 E34 Tail Light Masks(1/24)
RKD39: 1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am(1/24)
RKD40: 1972 AMC Gremlin X(1/25)
RKD41: 1972 AMC Gremlin Randall XR-401(1/25)
RKD42: 1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28(1/24)
RKD43: 1979 Chevrolet Nova Custom(1/25)
RKD44: 1983 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta(1/25)
RKD47: 1992 Chevrolet Beretta Z26(1/25)
RKD49: 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe(1/25)
RKD50: 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe Tail Light Masks(1/25)
RKD51: 1980 Ford Bronco(1/24)
RKD52: 1987-1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350(1/24)
RKD53: 1978 Chevrolet El Camino Super Sport(1/24)
RKD54: 1978 Chevrolet El Camino Royal Knight(1/24)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeppers, currently in the process of making the '72 AMC Gremlin X and a '72 Gremlin Randall 401-XR sheet, just trying to get it as accurate as possible without actually having a body(don't wanna spend forty bucks on a Jimmy Flintstone one just for the decals) is slowing me down some. But given I already got a '74 ready, it's literally just the stripes holding me back. Also to Dino, I really wanted to make a elaborate sheet for all sorts of under hood decals but quickly ran into the problem that the printer I use just doesn't have the color fidelity to do strongly detailed small-as-sin decals(unless its black, white, silver or gold, in which case its crisp as all sin!) so I quickly gave up on the idea. I got the designs at least, incase I run into a better source.

Also more updates:

1980-1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
81camaro.jpg

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta:
camaroberlinetta.jpg

1978 Chevrolet El Camino Super Sport:
elcamino_supersport.jpg

And one I'm actually kinda proud of, given I know ****-all about the subject - a decal sheet mimicking the very brief and kinda nifty advertisement from the 70s by Uniroyal. I made it for a '69 Nova given its a kit I may actually be able to buy given how rare and stupidly expensive MPC Ventura kits are but included all the Pontiac badges regardless(even the GTO ones):

1974 Pontiac Ventura Sprint/GTO Uniroyal Thrill Drivers(or '69 Nova, 'cuz why not):
ventura_uniroyal.jpg

One thing for the Gremlin I have not seen on your list (unless I just flat out missed it) was the Levi's version. Any plans for that or did I miss seeing it? And I am really looking forward to you getting that PDF file done. And curious why it started with RKD34 instead of the expected RKD1 or RKD01? But like I said in my earlier post, I can already tell my wallet will be a lot lighter very soon!

Edited by socal76

What drawing program are you using? I have a huge archive of decal artwork from Top End Miniatures. I have all of the logos, paint jobs, graphics, etc. I used a Mac but I don't have an Alps printer anymore.

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)