Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)

On 7/9/2018 at 5:21 PM, echoxrayniner said:

@Jordan White; Definitely! I've been wanting to do some wacky 1970s GMCs and Chevrolets like for instance the Spirit of '76 C/K, so the Desert Fox is something I also really wanna get done.

Oh, and if you haven't come across them already, here are a couple pages which show the various decal packages for the '73-'87 trucks over the years that would help you out!

https://autowise.com/all-of-73-87-chevy-and-gmc-special-edition-pickup-trucks-part-i/

https://autowise.com/all-of-73-87-chevy-and-gmc-special-edition-pickup-trucks-part-ii/

@Oldcarfan27; I'm pretty much only doing the decals utterly in hopes of someone getting inspired enough or something along those lines to get a Buick Century body out there(same case for the series of Cutlass decals I'm doing for the post-'75 models and Chevelle Lagunas), aside from that to scratch the proverbial creative itch. Not to mention I can't help but loving it, so maybe! There's lots of folks practically begging for non-NASCAR A-body Oldsmobiles, Chevrolets and the likes so part of me is hoping I can spark a flame of sorts. And actually, you raise a good point about the tailgate panel on the Chevrolet, it's got a bit of a striped pattern in the panel, maybe it's brushed aluminum or something? Either way, I have no idea how well I can attempt to replicate it so it remains visible on small scale, I'mma get on doing some test-ish stuff to see what I can get done. Also thanks for the heads up on the EFI badges, I'd forgotten to do a bunch of Suburban badges so I've got reason to revisit already!

And actually, thanks for the pile of ideas for the F-150s and the Pintos, especially. I've bought the Firestone F-150 and the MPC Pinto Wagon just to do 'em all at some point hah!

@Can-Con; I've tried to source as much as I possibly could on that thing to do it proper right off, the pattern and the bird are easy, the real trick is gonna be translating the bright colors to print. It's always a bit funky, there's a bit of a guessing game how light you gotta go with one thing(on print it ends up darker by a fair notch) and how much lighter and/or darker the next color should be, but despite it I'm gonna try and see it through, love the Indy 500 Pace Cars but this one always stood out to be something fierce, I absolutely love it. And thanks for the heads up on the Skyhawk, I knew there was a Buick brother of the Monza but I had no clue it got a Free Spirit edition of its own, especially motivated for the Skyhawk given I've got the new AMT Monza 2+2 that I wished to turn into a Spyder but alas, no wing and the likes... Just stock or that ultra goofy looking body kit, but now I know there's a Free Spirit edition... Oh yes.

@Jordan White; Ahh you beautiful man, you! I found a very similar article on Car and Driver that for some idiotic reason(hell the whole website is) forbidden to be shown in... Europe. Screw us, eh. But now thanks to you I got a nice overview to work with!

As a whole, I've added these to the(over 220 strong item) list for the time being, with more of the unique edition trucks and possibly some vans as well in the future:

1975 GMC Sierra Grande Beau James & Gentleman James Editions(1/24)

1976 Chevrolet C/K Spirit of '76(1/24)

1976 Buick Skyhawk Free Spirit(1/25)

1976 GMC Sierra Classic Impact Edition(1/24)

1977 GMC Sierra Desert Fox(1/24)

1977 GMC Sierra Classic Sarge Edition(1/24)

1978 Ford Pinto Cruising Wagon “Standard Version”(1/25)

1978 Ford Pinto Cruising Wagon “Special Version”(1/25)

1979 Ford F-150 Freewheelin'(1/25)

1980 Ford Pinto Squire Rallye(1/25)

Oh and should point out that I'm desperately wanting to do the 1979 Dodge Little Red Express and Midnite Express stepside trucks, I got all the stuff I need to properly do them besides a body to work with. If anyone could be so kind to run me a scan on the ever-so-old '79 MPC kit(or pictures alongside a ruler), I would be literally eternally grateful!

Edited by echoxrayniner

Speaking of Indy Pace Cars, I got to see an original '81 regal turbo replica. One of the ones sold to the general public at the Atlantic Nationals car show last weekend.

Not restored, weathered paint and decals and all. Pretty cool.

Image result for 1981 buick pace car

Not this  one but the same.

Image result for 1981 buick pace car

Edited by Can-Con

I already had ideas of doing the '81 Turbo Regal Pace Car, not to mention it's not too incredibly difficult to replicate for what its worth. Gonna add it to the ever growing list, hah! And yes, I'm gonna be adding the '73-'74 emblems as well at some point, I cut it off at '75 due to the wide availability of those emblems but I apparently already added a '73-'74 K5 Blazer emblem so, might as well get 'em all right.

And mini-update, the Cutlass-ing has begun now I have the Jo-Han promo:

1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442:
73Cutlass442-vi.jpg

1975 Buick Century "Free Spirit" '75 Indy 500 Pace Car:
75CenturyPaceCar1-vi.jpg

Onwards to the '74 through '77 Olds 442's and the Hurst/Olds inbetween, '76 Century, '76 Skyhawk, the GMCs and Chevy pickups and inbetween a giant, gargantuan, 1/8th scale Firebird.

Edited by echoxrayniner

9 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

1975 Buick Century "Free Spirit" '75 Indy 500 Pace Car:
75CenturyPaceCar1-vi.jpg

Your Buick Pace car sets are Epic! The only bummer is it's the "cart before the horse" kind of thing. But I love them anyway.

BTW - I've been working on a scratchbuild replica of my parents 73 Century Luxus for quite some time now, this might be my inspiration to get it finished. Do you know somebody reputable who'd want to make a mold of it?

The 81 Regal is totally do-able. Will you scale it for the 1/24 kit, and will it have decals for both the Actual and Replica Pace cars? I've wanted to do both of those for decades now. Do you have a price on that sheet yet?

I don't know if anyone else does these, but I like you're designs so keep these in mind,

Especially since you brought up Oldsmobiles and Chevelles....

898f44da6d3bc5977fb4587c28e1ba15-700.jpg.27b718fa9d04f5b02f5ac79720fee504.jpg

1699_1970_Oldsmobile_Rallye_350_Folder-02-03_low_res.jpg.01665660278bd16815473078b2caad9f.jpg

3489698284_5fd4e3bc3e.jpg.7eacb5989f460153a65aaf7f1cf82160.jpg

I know Fred Cady used to make the 442 W30 and Ralley 350, but since he's OOB and as far as I know, no one makes the stripes for the Laguna. Although, many builders have converted the race car into the stocker.

Again, I have a conversion done for the Ralley and the Laguna, but they need the stripes. 

echoxrayniner, have you made a listing of all your decals yet? You are doing so many great ones it is hard to keep up with all of them. A list could be done in Microsoft Excel or in Libre Office (a Free program) that you could update as needed. Then post a link to the list that anyone could download. I know I haven't been able to keep up due to times I have had to stay in bed due to back and hip issues. I know how Gregg feels now!

Yeah thats one way, I scribbled up a couple ways to see what the total inventory is at the moment, either via PDF download(clicksy) or that page mentioned above. I also created a Fotki page for easier overview as well: https://public.fotki.com/RaysKits/ . For the most part I wanna clean up the main page with better formatting and such but ho-boy, I totally seemed to have bricked it, any edit(even just opening it and saving it) just errors it out >.<

Also I got two versions of the '75 Laguna S-3 coming up, one stock and one stock but adjusted to go around the fender of the NASCAR MPC Chevelle kit.

Edited by echoxrayniner

Since I got that Firestone F-150 kit coming my way I might as well do the F-150 Pace Truck, and of course the '79 Mustang Pace Car to go with the Cobra and GT versions I got coming up. And small update time, I ruined my hand the other day(painfully as hell too) so working on the decals' slower than ever before, but I'm still going on albeit at a glacial pace(churning out a sheet or so a day at this rate, not even counting requests and commissions) and going down a long, long list. Also as per previous post, a total list can be seen at either:
- Fotki;
- My own website;
- This Inventory PDF(without pretty pictures).

As for the new sheets;

1970 AMC Javelin SST Mark Donohue:
70JavelinSSTMarkDonohue-vi.jpg

1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Hurst/Olds:
73CutlassHurstOlds-vi.jpg

1974 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Hurst/Olds:
74CutlassHurstOlds-vi.jpg

1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Special Edition:
77FirebirdTASE-vi.jpg

1976 Ford Mustang II Cobra II(big, big thanks to Missing Link for the resin pieces):
76MustangIICobraII-vi.jpg

1978 Ford Mustang II Cobra II(don't worry, any color combo is available, I just always kind of liked the weird green):
78MustangIICobraII-vi.jpg

1976 Buick Century "Free Spirit" '76 Indy 500 Pace Car(mah baby):
76CenturyPaceCar-vi.jpg

And the gargantuan amount of new tire decals:
wlt.jpg
wlt2.jpg

... Back to work.

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: July 21st, last post)
  • 3 weeks later...

Just thought of another set of decals to have, how about a set for the 2nd generation Dodge Ram? I'm thinking the various engine and model callouts (1500, 2500, 3500) along with decals for the various trim levels and packages (especially the sport package and SS/T packages). It sucks that there weren't many kits released of the 2nd gen, but combining the full-detail Revell kit and snap AMT kits can yield most of the cab and bed configurations.

On 8/7/2018 at 4:31 PM, Jordan White said:

Just thought of another set of decals to have, how about a set for the 2nd generation Dodge Ram? I'm thinking the various engine and model callouts (1500, 2500, 3500) along with decals for the various trim levels and packages (especially the sport package and SS/T packages). It sucks that there weren't many kits released of the 2nd gen, but combining the full-detail Revell kit and snap AMT kits can yield most of the cab and bed configurations.

Actually, that's something I really wanted to do - I've been on doing a elaborate sheet for the Revell Ram VTS kit to make detailing it easier but I really wanted to do a similar sheet like I did with the Ford F-150 and Chevy C/K, get all the badges and emblems out there. The eBay listings for 2nd gen Ram kits/promos... for a European like me? Stupidly expensive apparently, good looooord. So based on that, @av405 - I'd love to take you up on your offer, hah. I only got the Revell kit to work with unfortunately, so having shots of the AMT Ram would help buuunches. Also at some point there's gonna be some Cadillac love, dontcha worry, I'm still actively chasing down Jo-Han Cadillacs from the seventies(that no-one wants to ship to the friggin' Netherlands, hooray).

And as for updates, it's been a slow roll lately, between the decimating heatwave nailing Europe, me flaying my hand at work and my girlfriend and I having a short holiday - I've fallen behind a fair bit, there's give or take 20 ongoing things as well as around 8 requests stuffed in between. So uh... I hope guys don't mind waiting a bit, working down a list! D:

1970 AMC AMX(1/25th, but also in 1/20th)
70AMX-vi.jpg

1980 Ford Pinto Wagon Rallye(first of many, the Cruisin' Wagon and soon the Cruisin' Van are in the works)
80PintoWagonRallye-vi.jpg

1972 AMC Gremlin X Randall 401-XR:
72Gremlin401XR-vi.jpg

1974 AMC Gremlin X Randall 401-XR:
74Gremlin401XR-vi.jpg

1977 AMC Gremlin X:
77GremlinX-vi.jpg

1968 AMC Rebel "The Machine" '68 Prototype(thought it was nifty, saw a '68 Rebel resin body by SMH Resins that I desperately wanted to have):
68RebelTheMachinePrototype-vi.jpg

1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine":
70RebelTheMachine-vi.jpg

1978 Dodge Adventurer 150 "Li'l Red Express Truck"(first of many, got the Midnite Express, coming up are the Warlock & Warlock II as well):
78Adventurer150LilRed-vi.jpg

1978 Dodge Adventurer 150 "Midnite Express":
78Adventurer150Midnite-vi.jpg

Back to wooooooork.

Edited by echoxrayniner

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: August 12th, last post)

Awesome 77 S/E T/A decal set! They look better than the decals from all 3 manufacturers. 

Are they printed up in actual gold, or a mustard yellow that looks kinda like gold? I like that they don't have any black background, so I can use them on any other color I like.

Are they scaled to fit the Monogram, AMT or Revell bodies? And how much per sheet?

I'm drooling. Excuse me.

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Awesome 77 S/E T/A decal set! They look better than the decals from all 3 manufacturers. 

Are they printed up in actual gold, or a mustard yellow that looks kinda like gold? I like that they don't have any black background, so I can use them on any other color I like.

Are they scaled to fit the Monogram, AMT or Revell bodies? And how much per sheet?

I'm drooling. Excuse me.

Thanks hah! These in specific were made on request by Crowe-T to fit the Revell '77 Firebird T/A 1/25th, cause they got that horrible black outline that doesn't even match the black most people wanna use. It also missed a fair few stripes, so fixed that one up! Though it's actually no trouble at all to resize them for the '78 Firebird by Monogram, I've got a '78 body to match 'em to(I only got the MPC '80 Firebird and '79 Firebird, so can't say how well they'd match the AMT/MPC ones from '77-'78), and I think Crowe-T and I agreed on 17.50$ a set cause it's just such a ungodly large sheet in the end haha.

As for the gold, I always design 'em in that ugly yellow as its the exact color code to auto-match the printer to select gold but on print they're proper metallic gold, semi-reflective sheen and all, I'll add a picture of a gold '76 Mustang Cobra II sheet that hopefully shows how it would end up looking:
20180823_135942.jpg

8 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

Thanks hah! These in specific were made on request by Crowe-T to fit the Revell '77 Firebird T/A 1/25th, cause they got that horrible black outline that doesn't even match the black most people wanna use. It also missed a fair few stripes, so fixed that one up! Though it's actually no trouble at all to resize them for the '78 Firebird by Monogram, I've got a '78 body to match 'em to(I only got the MPC '80 Firebird and '79 Firebird, so can't say how well they'd match the AMT/MPC ones from '77-'78), and I think Crowe-T and I agreed on 17.50$ a set cause it's just such a ungodly large sheet in the end haha.

As for the gold, I always design 'em in that ugly yellow as its the exact color code to auto-match the printer to select gold but on print they're proper metallic gold, semi-reflective sheen and all, I'll add a picture of a gold '76 Mustang Cobra II sheet that hopefully shows how it would end up looking:
20180823_135942.jpg

Beautiful!

@Snake45: Actually, I was gonna base 'em off the Monogram 1/24th scale Mustang, if not only cause the Mustang is more detailed and easier to make a decal sheet for thanks to it hah. But since I got an MPC '80 Mustang, Revell '79 Mustang and a few Monogram Mustangs, I'm gonna do 'em in either scale just to have the choice there.

@MrObsessive: Thanks man, couldn't have done it without you! I've bought a '69 Machine by SMH Resins to do the '68 Machine prototype on, which I couldn't have made either without your help, seriously thanks!

@av405: Thanks for sending those pics of the AMT Dodge Ram 2500, I'm gonna wrap up the S-10/S-15 emblem sheet and then immediately onto the RAM, get that truck some love!

And speaking of lucky purchases... I actually got my hands on a near new, complete '74 Javelin by Jo-Han for around 20 bucks. I'm still supremely taken aback by that sheer amount of luck. On top of that a '75 Roadrunner, '70 Cutlass 442, '86 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 in resin and some more to complete the catalog even more. Lately I've bought just about every friggin' 'Cuda kit I could get my hands on to do all the '68+ 'Cudas in full glory as they will always be my favorite muscle cars. Also those 'Cudas are eventually gonna be part of a little 3D design project to offer some '71 and '73-'74 front ends and tail ends in 1/25th scale for the Revell kit, but I wanna complete the giant as sin decal catalog first.

Anywhoo:

1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442:
75Cutlass442-vi.jpg

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Rallye 350:
70CutlassRallye350-vi.jpg

1976 AMC Gremlin Patriot Edition/Spirit of '76:
76GremlinSpiritof76-vi.jpg

1976 AMC Pacer Patriot Edition/Spirit of '76:
76PacerSpiritof76-vi.jpg

And prepare for a buttload of 'Cudas:

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda(Hockey Sticks):
70CudaHockeyStripes-vi.jpg

1970½ Plymouth 'Cuda(V4 Code Strobe Stripes):
70CudaStrobeStripe-vi.jpg

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda AAR(I remastered the one I did before in 1/25th scale, its now a full sheet opposed to just stripes)
70CudaAAR-vi.jpg

1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 340/383/440/HEMI:
71Cuda_340-vi.jpg

71Cuda_383-vi.jpg71Cuda_440-vi.jpg71Cuda_HEMI-vi.jpg

Which also is available as the 383, 440 and HEMI of course.

Oh and a little shot of the Ford Mustang II Cobra II decals in action:
1976FordMustangIICobraII3-vi.jpg

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: August 29th, last post)

Those decals look fantastic , NJ ! Lots of cool and now-esoteric models represented here .

I would like to submit a correction for the 'Cuda sets :

- Plymouth's engines were called "Super Commando" ( Dodge's nomenclature was , "Magnum" )

- Plymouth's 440 Maximum Performance 440 was called "Six Barrel" ( Dodge called theirs " Six Pack" ) . This same nomenclature applies to the 1970-only AAR 'Cuda ( "SIX BARREL 340" ) ; Dodge was ( "340 SIX PACK" ) . To add to the confusion : the 1970 Challenger T/A has a styllised " SIX PAK" [sic] decal on its front fenders .

I'm definitely not criticising you and your works here , so please don't take my submissions as such .

Thank you :)

• echoxrayniner changed the title to Crafting up decal sheets(for mostly late 70s, 80s & 90s models so far)(Updated: Feb 1st)