Model Cars Magazine Forum

Comparing the AMT and Revell 1940 Ford Coupes.

Lovefordgalaxie

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Again, Tulio I hope you someday build the 1/25th scale Lindberg kit. It builds out better than you might expect. And I'd like to see what you could do with it. Also, what's your thoughts on the MPC '40 Ford Snap Kit. Looking at pictures online, I'm tempted to buy one. Though I would have build it with out the fire chief equipment. Filling in holes where the top lights, spot lights, and sirens go. I'd also leave off the side pipes. 

I never saw the MPC snapper "in the flesh" so to speak, only pictures of the parts, and completed builds. I didn't like much the fact it has dual exhaust molded on the chassis, so you can't build a factory stock Ford without figuring a way to shave one of the pipes. Also, the bumpers brackets are just some round plastic, and that kind of bugs me. I would build one, but would not pay what people ask for it here. With that I can get the AMT kit.

• 10 months later...

No kit is acurate. Since I only build period Kustoms, alot of AMT kits are out dated. For detail and purchase wise Revell hits the home run all the way. Molded in door handles as to sepperate units? I'd say AMT has helped you rule this one out for favortism. I see that alot. Im no fan of one or thee other,as I prefer AMT's 49 merc over Revells any day. Sadly, most AMT kits are outdated molds while Revell Germany anounced new one's being made for their American customers. 

Does anyone know the history on the Lindberg '40 ford? I am building one right now, and let me tell you it would take a lot of work to get on to turn out as nice as the 2 kits here. However, the kit looks to be the same as the AMT kit. Everything is identical, just that the Lindberg kit seems to be made out of old worn out AMT tooling. Body lines are more of a hint that a grove, the flash is bad and details weak. I am spending hours just fixing poor body lines and fixing fit issues.

Is it possible that the AMT and the Lindberg kit were at one time the same kit?

15 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Does anyone know the history on the Lindberg '40 ford? I am building one right now, and let me tell you it would take a lot of work to get on to turn out as nice as the 2 kits here. However, the kit looks to be the same as the AMT kit. Everything is identical, just that the Lindberg kit seems to be made out of old worn out AMT tooling. Body lines are more of a hint that a grove, the flash is bad and details weak. I am spending hours just fixing poor body lines and fixing fit issues.

Is it possible that the AMT and the Lindberg kit were at one time the same kit?

According to what I remember, the Lindberg 1940 Ford was originally tooled by Palmer. Looking at the kit, it does appear to be a cheapo version of the AMT kit, but considering it was a Palmer kit, it was pretty good. They never released it tough, and the molds were sold to Lindberg, and they first released the kit.

The AMT and Lindberg were never the same kit, they only look alike. 

On 11/28/2017 at 5:03 PM, unclescott58 said:

Again, Tulio I hope you someday build the 1/25th scale Lindberg kit. It builds out better than you might expect. And I'd like to see what you could do with it. Also, what's your thoughts on the MPC '40 Ford Snap Kit. Looking at pictures online, I'm tempted to buy one. Though I would have build it with out the fire chief equipment. Filling in holes where the top lights, spot lights, and sirens go. I'd also leave off the side pipes. 

I've come close to picking up the Lindberg kit, which is a poor clone of the AMT kit. (I believe it was originally tooled by Palmer). The side window shape is crude, the grille is crude. I'd never base a serious build off of one. I've always loved the AMT 40s. The only real issue I have with them is the shape of the tops of the windshields. 

20180103_215530-vi.jpg.af74771c01512e5f488a2764d32d07c9 (1).jpg

True, the AMT version is my favorite '40 Ford coupe. But I think the Lindberg kit is no where near as bad as a lot people say. I also, after some modifications, liked how my MPC coupe had turned out. I have not built my Revell coupe yet. But, looking at it, I'm sure it will build just fine. The Revell '40 may have more accurate details over the AMT coupe. But, I find it no where near as fun a kit as the old AMT. 

You know, until I read this thread it never occurred to me that the Lindberg WASN"T the MPC snapper.  I guess I just assumed Lindberg grabbed some old molds (pretty much their modus operandi) and pumped them out.  You learn something everyday.

So to help out here, I just grabbed some quick piccies of my old assembled red plastic MPC snapper .  This is the street rod issue ( the first issue I believe) and I built it while using up the last ten minutes on a parking meter about 35 years ago!

Obviously the windshield and to a lesser extent the rear windows, have some issues.  Mine is destined to become a dirt tracker so it won't be an issue - I will probably be hogging out the windows anyway.  Not a deal breaker but why would you bother with the MPCwhen you have the far superior Revell and AMT offerings.  And as much as I love my Monogram 40 convert, (haven't built a coupe yet) you can't beat the fun factor of the AMT.  It gets my vote every time. 

Finally, Tulio, I love everything you build!  I am unashamedly a hot rodder, but your showroom stockers could turn me, one day!

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

4 hours ago, alan barton said:

You know, until I read this thread it never occurred to me that the Lindberg WASN"T the MPC snapper.  I guess I just assumed Lindberg grabbed some old molds (pretty much their modus operandi) and pumped them out.  You learn something everyday.

So to help out here, I just grabbed some quick piccies of my old assembled red plastic MPC snapper .  This is the street rod issue ( the first issue I believe) and I built it while using up the last ten minutes on a parking meter about 35 years ago!

Obviously the windshield and to a lesser extent the rear windows, have some issues.  Mine is destined to become a dirt tracker so it won't be an issue - I will probably be hogging out the windows anyway.  Not a deal breaker but why would you bother with the MPCwhen you have the far superior Revell and AMT offerings.  And as much as I love my Monogram 40 convert, (haven't built a coupe yet) you can't beat the fun factor of the AMT.  It gets my vote every time. 

Finally, Tulio, I love everything you build!  I am unashamedly a hot rodder, but your showroom stockers could turn me, one day!

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

I dont think the MPC kit is too bad. And the separate running boards are handy for using as a template to trim masking tape to use on the AMT running boards when painting the fenders.

9 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I dont think the MPC kit is too bad. And the separate running boards are handy for using as a template to trim masking tape to use on the AMT running boards when painting the fenders.

Call me crazy, but I think they tooled the MPC using a AMT built up. There is even a glue seam on the engine, that is molded to the chassis. 

13 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Both are very nice.

Yes, both have pluses and minuses. The AMT versions practically fall together, have a few things to take care of but look very good once you do. The new Revell kits have a few things to take care of also, but have the edge in the engine & chassis department.  Revell > AMT unless you find an early issue of the latter with good chrome and minimal flash.

I built the MPC back in the early 80's, and while simplified, the lines look pretty good for what is in the box. Be prepared to fill the spotlight holes on the cowl and add some details here and there unless you want that quick and simple OTB build.

1 hour ago, youpey said:

how is the 1940 AMT Ford Sedan kit? is it accurate?

The lines are pretty good on the sedan also- the vertical sides of the fenders are a little slab-sided and need some loving with files and sandpaper to look like they should, but you won't have to sculpt it too much for a more realistic look. All of the AMT 40's need some TLC on the side chrome (especially where it flows into the hood sides), but with some Evergreen strip and some effort, you can have a quick building 1940 Ford that overall looks pretty "right."