Model Cars Magazine Forum
StevenGuthmiller

Revell 1968 Pontiac Firebird Engine?

I'm still trying to come up with a good option for a modern kit engine for my MPC '67 Bonneville build.

I was planning on using the engine from the '66 GTO kit, but the '67 Bonneville wasn't available with the tri-power intake from what I've been able to find.

So now I'm thinking that the best option might be the engine from the Revell '68 Firebird kit, but I'm completely unfamiliar with that kit.

Could anybody tell me what engine is included in that kit & whether or not it's a good representation?

I'm assuming that it's the Ram Air 400 engine, but I would like to see what the engine looks like & whether or not it would be a good candidate for transplant, with minimal modifications, into a '67 Bonneville.

All that said, if anyone has information, photos & possibly a stock engine that they could spare, give me a holler.

Steve

The ex-MPC '69 Firebird should have an engine that's virtually identical to the one in the Bonneville, so it should drop right in. This engine also came in some '80s reissues of the MPC '69 Camaro. Maybe you have one or the other of those laying around. The oft-reissued '67 and '72 GTOs are also the same basic thing, I think.

Also, don't overlook the possibility of swapping a 4-bbl manifold and carb onto the Revell '66 GTO engine, which is probably superior to any MPC engine. 

47 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The ex-MPC '69 Firebird should have an engine that's virtually identical to the one in the Bonneville, so it should drop right in. This engine also came in some '80s reissues of the MPC '69 Camaro. Maybe you have one or the other of those laying around. The oft-reissued '67 and '72 GTOs are also the same basic thing, I think.

Also, don't overlook the possibility of swapping a 4-bbl manifold and carb onto the Revell '66 GTO engine, which is probably superior to any MPC engine. 

I do have several of the original MPC poncho motors, but nearly all of them have the tri-power intake.

Most of the ones that I have are prior to 1967.

I was hoping to find something with a little more detail  than the old kit pieces as well.

Steve

2 minutes ago, High octane said:

This is the best I can do as far as pictures of the engine in the '68 Firebird kit.

Thank you Nick!

That is helpful.

It looks good except for the "Ram Air" air cleaner, but I'm confident that I could find a suitable '67 type air cleaner for it.

Thank you!

Steve

Doesn't it seem a bit wide across the intake?

51 minutes ago, landman said:

I have those three. Maybe the 455 is useable.

The 455 doesn't look too bad Pat.

Do you happen to know what kit it's from?

Steve

From the Bonneville Pickup I think. I had put a V12 in mine. Behold the 583 Pontiac V12,

IMG_5225.jpg

The '68 Firebird 400 V8 is one of the best Pontiac Engines in scale. I used one in my MPC '68 GTO Re-Buiild several years ago. I am thoroughly bummed out that MPC did not include a 4 bbl in the '67 and later full sized Pontiac kits. The '68 Firebird I pirated the engine from is going to be a Sprint, with an OHC 6 I had in my parts box. I picked up a flat hood from Perry's Resin when he was in business for the project. I would love to get some decent 4 Barrel intakes to fit the MPC Bonnevilles I intend to re-build.  Fireball Resins does some beautiful carbs. I wonder if he does any Quadrajets. If so, I may have to get in contact with him.

13 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

The '68 Firebird 400 V8 is one of the best Pontiac Engines in scale. I used one in my MPC '68 GTO Re-Buiild several years ago. I am thoroughly bummed out that MPC did not include a 4 bbl in the '67 and later full sized Pontiac kits. The '68 Firebird I pirated the engine from is going to be a Sprint, with an OHC 6 I had in my parts box. I picked up a flat hood from Perry's Resin when he was in business for the project. I would love to get some decent 4 Barrel intakes to fit the MPC Bonnevilles I intend to re-build.  Fireball Resins does some beautiful carbs. I wonder if he does any Quadrajets. If so, I may have to get in contact with him.

Ron it looks like he does...........

fmr-042-043_1.jpg

He charges $3.00 for 'em......of course there's shipping. ;)

EDIT: He does have 'em in 1/25 scale as well...............

Edited by MrObsessive

9 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Ron it looks like he does...........

fmr-042-043_1.jpg

He charges $3.00 for 'em......of course there's shipping. ;)

EDIT: He does have 'em in 1/25 scale as well...............

Looks like I have to get in contact with Joseph. a few years back, I bought up some Revell Parts packs of Pontiac Engines. They are very nice, even though they are not replica Stock engines, but they fill the underhood area of an MPC Bonneville very nicely. Now I have to dig through my stuff to find a 4 barrel  intake and appropriate air cleaner My preference for the air cleaner is the GM open element unit normally found on Camaros.

18 hours ago, br67 said:

Doesn't it seem a bit wide across the intake?

I agree, that '68 Firebrd engine is awful, far too wide.  It's just not proportioned as well as the old MPC and AMT Pontiacs, not to mention the ancient Revell parts pack engine.

3 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

I agree, that '68 Firebrd engine is awful, far too wide.  It's just not proportioned as well as the old MPC and AMT Pontiacs, not to mention the ancient Revell parts pack engine.

The Revell '68 Firebird engine worked pretty good in my '68 GTO. When I get a chance, I am going to see if I can find an intake from one of my MPC '70's GTO will work with the Revell Parts Pack engines. I have several re-builder candidates for such a set up. One is my '67 Bonneville.

22 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

Ok, does anyone know of another "non tri-power" Pontiac engine that I should pursue.

It needs to have stock looking parts, (ie, no finned valve covers, etc.)

Maybe something from one of the earlier GTO kits? ('64, '65)

Steve

9 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Ok, does anyone know of another "non tri-power" Pontiac engine that I should pursue.

It needs to have stock looking parts, (ie, no finned valve covers, etc.)

Maybe something from one of the earlier GTO kits? ('64, '65)

Steve

Since you car has a 4-speed, how about the Pontiac Engine out of a '67-9 MPC Firebird or a '67-72 MPC GTO. Some people have used the engine from the Monogram '69 GTO Judge, even though it's 1/24 scale, it may work.

58 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Since you car has a 4-speed, how about the Pontiac Engine out of a '67-9 MPC Firebird or a '67-72 MPC GTO. Some people have used the engine from the Monogram '69 GTO Judge, even though it's 1/24 scale, it may work.

The only one that I have is the '69 Firebird.

I haven't looked at it recently, but I'm pretty sure that I looked at it at some point early on in this project & I believe that there was a reason why it fell out of consideration, but I'll look at it again.

Steve

On 11/26/2017 at 9:17 PM, Snake45 said:

I would suggest the AMT '62 Catalina's Pontiac engine, but it has a dual carb intake, longer tuned-style factory exhaust manifolds, probably a deep sump oil pan...not going to fit your needs straight out of the box, but it would be my Pontiac V8 starting point, large or small journal.

Edited by Casey

Pontiac valve covers, 4 Bbl carburetors & air cleaners all were changed from 1966 to 1967.  All engines in the attachment are 1967 400s except 428s in #16 & 17. All had painted valve covers except 428. #17 is the 428HO advertised as the Quadra-Power 428 in reference to the new-for-'67 Pontiac QuadraJet 4 Bbl. The 428HO came with chrome open element air cleaner, declutching 7-blade fan, chrome valve covers and special exhaust manifolds which in the real world were shared with 1967-1969 400HO and Ram Air I & RAIII Firebirds. The HO exhaust manifolds required a special angled oil filter adapter for clearance. A decent representation of the High Output manifolds is in the MPC 1967-69 Firebirds. 1967 Pontiacs built for the California market did not come with open element air cleaners. The Cali 428HO and 2+2 428/360hp came with an air cleaner as on 16 with a chromed lid to comply with Cali emissions rules.

ma1lkQ7.jpg

Edited by Model Carnage

MPC produced a firebird kit that offered a *Turbine* engine as an option.

Now that would make your build really interesting!  😆

IMG_0389.JPG

Edited by ToyLvr
Added photo

10 hours ago, ToyLvr said:

MPC produced a firebird kit that offered a *Turbine* engine as an option.

Now that would make your build really interesting!  😆

IMG_0389.JPG

I have one of those, about half built--put it back in the box when I lost interest in 1969. I keep meaning to finish that thing someday.